Got my SE Today

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Correct. The 6s has a 5 MP FaceTime camera while the SE has a 1.2 MP FaceTime camera. Both take 720P video.
Of all the features of the 6s, that's the one that bothered me the most, but then coming from a 6 plus, it has a meager front camera, and I wasn't complaining about that.

The SE also doesn't have a barometer which also initially bothered me, until I realized, the only time I looked at how many stairs I climbed, was hen I first bought the 6 plus. I'm not saying its a useless feature but its a feature I thought was valued but then through actual usage I wasn't really leveraging.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Of all the features of the 6s, that's the one that bothered me the most, but then coming from a 6 plus, it has a meager front camera, and I wasn't complaining about that.

The SE also doesn't have a barometer which also initially bothered me, until I realized, the only time I looked at how many stairs I climbed, was hen I first bought the 6 plus. I'm not saying its a useless feature but its a feature I thought was valued but then through actual usage I wasn't really leveraging.

Why did the FaceTime resolution of the 6s bother you? 5 MP for a front facing camera is pretty good IMO, and a decent upgrade from prior iPhones.

sdc1

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I ordered my iPhone SE yesterday and it arrived today, a day early. I've only had it an hour but I can tell already that I won't miss my iPhone 6. I love this form factor, for me it's just about perfect. Very happy.

Posted from my iPhone SE

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Why did the FaceTime resolution of the 6s bother you? 5 MP for a front facing camera is pretty good IMO, and a decent upgrade from prior iPhones.

Its omission on the SE that rankled me. I think the 6s front camera is really nice and it was something that I think would have been a nice to have. Perhaps I worded my displeasure awkwardly. Its not the 6s but the SE's lower front camera resolution.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Its omission on the SE that rankled me. I think the 6s front camera is really nice and it was something that I think would have been a nice to have. Perhaps I worded my displeasure awkwardly. Its not the 6s but the SE's lower front camera resolution.

Gotcha. I wasn't surprised to see the SE with a lower res camera but I can understand why you wouldn't be happy with it. It's all marketing. Apple has to justify the lower price of the SE as well as the higher price of its flagship devices.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Gotcha. I wasn't surprised to see the SE with a lower res camera but I can understand why you wouldn't be happy with it. It's all marketing. Apple has to justify the lower price of the SE as well as the higher price of its flagship devices.

True but I'm happy with the Retina Flash which works really well

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
well the decision wasn't a marketing gimmick at all, but a real good manufacturing choice, from the manufacturer point of view.
They are basically using the whole front assembly of the iPhone 5S (camera included) without having to adapt a new camera to the old front, that surely implies development costs.
Not good for selfies, for sure, but good enough for FaceTime.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
well the decision wasn't a marketing gimmick at all, but a real good manufacturing choice, from the manufacturer point of view.
They are basically using the whole front assembly of the iPhone 5S (camera included) without having to adapt a new camera to the old front, that surely implies development costs.
Not good for selfies, for sure, but good enough for FaceTime.

I didn't say it was a gimmick, but marketing plays a role in almost everything Apple does. If it made sense to incorporate the 5 MP camera they could have. Development costs are certainly a factor but so is the need for Apple put the right features in the right products.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I didn't say it was a gimmick, but marketing plays a role in almost everything Apple does. If it made sense to incorporate the 5 MP camera they could have. Development costs are certainly a factor but so is the need for Apple put the right features in the right products.

marketing plays a role in what EVERY commercial company does. It makes sense.

Lefty724

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
The 1.2 MP is plenty for me since I've never taken a selfie. My wife on the other hand......

I agree with Max on Apple keeping costs down and using existing parts from the 5s. I'm happy and love the SE!

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I will say I prefer the camera lens angle of the ole' 1.2 vs the 5MP... call me crazy. Quality is a no brainer, but always seemed liked the 5MP on my 6S Plus distorted the image (too much "fisheye" unless you held it further away).

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I will say I prefer the camera lens angle of the ole' 1.2 vs the 5MP... call me crazy. Quality is a no brainer, but always seemed liked the 5MP on my 6S Plus distorted the image (too much "fisheye" unless you held it further away).

Oh, then the SE is really perfect! It's a pocket 6s, which I always wanted.
The only thing missing from the 6s/+ is 3D touch, which I do not care. I do not like to "press" the screen anyway.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
actually the lack of 3D Touch is the only thing I would miss about my iPhone 6S, switching to an SE ... I've got accustomed to it and I found it very useful.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Picked up a SE Space Grey today. Sold my 6S plus a month ago and have been using a 5C. Man its a nice little phone, beautifully made so much nicer than the 6 series, the colour and the edges just looks so smick, very classy. Don't think i want to case it. Very fast and smooth and prefer the TID 1 like my iPad pro, found the 6S version too fast.
Well worth the dollars v the 6S, glad i waited nearly got a standard 6S.
Battery seems great.

Do you feel the quality of the hardware of the SE to be better than the 6S?

Peter2015

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
can anyone please tell if their screen has blueish or yellowish tint? my current iphone 6s has a dark, yellowish type of display and is almost zero visibility on direct sunlight :( unlike my former iphone 5 which had blueish tint and that was the best screen
thanks!

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods