iPhone SE | Apple's Strategy...Your thoughts?

anon(9733642)

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
It's estimated that 32% of current iPhone users are using a 4, 4s, 5, or 5s. While some people will drop down to the smaller size SE from from 6, 6s, 6Plus, or 6sPlus...

IMO the target is to upgrade those holding onto their 4 inch phones. I also think this is an important move for the release of iOS 10 or iOSX in the fall as I don't believe the older models will support it or support the newest of features. So I think the SE will outsell projections and do exceptionally well.

I carry a 6s personally and a 6s from work and actually am seriously considering a swap to the SE for my personal device.

richard_rsp

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
IMO the target is to upgrade those holding onto their 4 inch phones... So I think the SE will outsell projections and do exceptionally well.

While I also believe the initial purpose behind the SE was to target those that want a 4" device, there are some additional features that will draw in other users.

I currently use an iPhone 6 Plus, and the reason I am switching to an SE is two fold:
A) We are switching carriers (Sprint) and my current phone doesn't have all of the appropriate frequencies. So, while Sprint is paying off my phone to switch, I can't justify paying $749-$849 for a new phone anymore. The SE addresses this pretty substantially with a $399-$499 price tag.

B) I would have gotten the iPhone 6 (instead of the Plus), but I was wanting better battery than the 6 offered. Same with the 6s. Its looking like the SE will address that issue as well.

Given all this and the 2GB of RAM and 12MP camera, I really think people will see a great value in this phone.

I personally am not someone who purchased the SE for the 4" screen reason. Would I have preferred a bigger screen? Sure! But price and battery life are more important to me, and this is the first phone in the Apple ecosystem that appears to give me top performance while addressing these concerns. And I bet I am not the only one who thinks this way.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
One word: brilliant.
They released a phone with high end performance, appreciated design, right price and they used available components from their previous products, so to lower manufacturing costs and maintaining good profits

clouds0222

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
I am switching to the iPhone SE from a 6s. I paid off the remaining payments for my 6s and "upgraded" to the SE thru my carrier. I have always loved the 4" size the best and also the design of the 5/5s. I think personally it's a better looking device than the 6 series. I have never been crazy about the design of the 6 series. I can either sell my 6s or hold onto it for future use, as a back up device if needed. I hope they will continue to offer this option in the future, the SE, or whatever they may call it going forward. I assume that decision will hinder on the sales numbers for the SE.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I am switching to the iPhone SE from a 6s. I paid off the remaining payments for my 6s and "upgraded" to the SE thru my carrier. I have always loved the 4" size the best and also the design of the 5/5s. I think personally it's a better looking device than the 6 series. I have never been crazy about the design of the 6 series. I can either sell my 6s or hold onto it for future use, as a back up device if needed. I hope they will continue to offer this option in the future, the SE, or whatever they may call it going forward. I assume that decision will hinder on the sales numbers for the SE.
I'm surely going to consider an "SE 2" next year, hoping they are planning to refresh it every March/ April

anon(9733642)

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
OP here. Bought mine today. Silver 64GB SIM FREE running AT&T in the Blue Leather Case (kind of a Penn State thing for me). So far the device is amazing and living up to expectations. Super smooth. Don't really miss 3D Touch. Just need to get reacquainted with the keyboard being a bit cramped. What's funny is I make tons of mistakes because I'm typing 2 handed. When I go one handed, no issues at all. Very happy with the decision.

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

I "upgraded" from a 6S today as well. I always liked the 5 series design better than the 6, and if the battery is as good as advertised I may keep the SE. I do like the feel in the hand and overall size better, but I'm not liking that the keyboard takes up half the screen yet I still make many errors. The phone is super fast, but so was the 6S. I've got 13 more days to decide.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I did the same exact thing but with my 6. I figured I would have it to fall back on if need be, or I'll just sell it.

I'm loving the SE...very fast!

tica02

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I really do hope that they consider a second edition of the SE. It's the perfect size for me and I'm sure a lot of others too.
It may be missing some features of the 6s but they weren't things I was using anyways.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I really do hope that they consider a second edition of the SE. It's the perfect size for me and I'm sure a lot of others too.
It may be missing some features of the 6s but they weren't things I was using anyways.
Yep, I'd like them to keep this releasing schedule: September for the flagship, March for the budget line using part of flagship 's technology

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site

Absolutely agree. The 5s was the best looking iphone of all time. It'd be great if there were 3 sizes each year...... it'll be interesting to see how well the SE fares. I suspect it'll sell very well.
I DO wish apple would be more adventurous with colours though, maybe a faded metallic blue , slightly more masculine than the pink/rose gold. Having said that id consider getting the rose gold just cos ive never had a phone that colour !!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77