Will the iPhone SE have fast charging?

richard_rsp

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I am also curious about this. Obviously, the iPhone SE is not going to offer "Quick Charge", the Qualcomm standard that is marketed in Android and Windows phones (Reason being is that it is specific to Qualcomm Snapdragon processors, which iPhones do not use). However, faster charging may be available with the right charger.

Out of the box, the SE will include a 5W, 1.0 Amp charger that will charge at normal speed. However, beginning with the iPhone 6/6+, Apple allowed iPhones to use the same charging profile as the iPad, allowing 2.1Amps using the larger 2.1A iPad charger. This allowed the 2,915 mAH battery in the 6 Plus to charge to 90% in right around 2 hours. As long as Apple maintained the same charging profile (and I assume that they would) of the iPhone 6/6+ and 6s/6s+ (and iPads), then the iPhone SE should also charge faster with the 2.1A charger. Since the battery is only 1,642 mAH, it should be rather quick at 2.1A.

iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Capable of Faster Charging Using iPad 2.1A Adapter - Mac Rumors

Snappy Phoenix

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I am also curious about this. Obviously, the iPhone SE is not going to offer "Quick Charge", the Qualcomm standard that is marketed in Android and Windows phones (Reason being is that it is specific to Qualcomm Snapdragon processors, which iPhones do not use). However, faster charging may be available with the right charger.

Out of the box, the SE will include a 5W, 1.0 Amp charger that will charge at normal speed. However, beginning with the iPhone 6/6+, Apple allowed iPhones to use the same charging profile as the iPad, allowing 2.1Amps using the larger 2.1A iPad charger. This allowed the 2,915 mAH battery in the 6 Plus to charge to 90% in right around 2 hours. As long as Apple maintained the same charging profile (and I assume that they would) of the iPhone 6/6+ and 6s/6s+ (and iPads), then the iPhone SE should also charge faster with the 2.1A charger. Since the battery is only 1,642 mAH, it should be rather quick at 2.1A.

iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Capable of Faster Charging Using iPad 2.1A Adapter - Mac Rumors

wouldn't using another charger with higher amps damage the battery if it wasn't officially supported?

richard_rsp

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
wouldn't using another charger with higher amps damage the battery if it wasn't officially supported?

The iPad charger is officially supported (including for use on the SE), but the charging profile will determine if it will benefit from the more powerful charger. The iPhone 5S and earlier phones could even be charged with the iPad charger, they just wouldnt charge any faster than the standard 1.0A 5W charger.

Beginning with the iPhone 6/6+ in 2014, Apple changed their charging profile to specifically benefit from the iPad charger. As long as you are using an iPad charger (2.1A), the phone is designed for that (so no harm will occur).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202105

it states "Your iPad comes with a USB power adapter. You can also use this adapter with your iPhone and iPod."

Last edited:

Brandon Harhi

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site

This is what I would assume. It's been the case for a while, now. Since it's been done with previous iPhones, I would think it would be the same with this one. The only downside is you may have to buy a new charger if you don't already own an iPad.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
As I said elsewhere, quick charging a battery isn't a good idea, in the long term.
Better to wait a little more or, if you are in an hurry, use an iPad charger.

Kibber Shuriq

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Per Battery University's article on Li-Ion charging, charging at the same rate as the battery's capacity rating is OK, but not more than that. That means that charging a 2100+ mAh battery using a 2.1A charger is OK, but the ~1600 mAh iPhone SE battery should only be charged at 1.6A max. That said, I haven't yet compared charging speeds on my SE using a stock vs iPad charger. Had anyone else?

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I use dual 2.4A chargers for everything from iPad, to Android and now, for my SE. Not considered "Quick Charge," but much like the iPad charger, it definitely charges the SE faster than the standard USB charger included with the SE.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I also use an ipad charger to charge my SE... being doing that with my iphones since the 5. Definitely charges faster. Whether it qualifies as "fast charging", not sure. But I have no issues with it.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
My 4s charges quickly without getting hot on my iPad charger, there was a thread about this a year or more ago and the consensus seemed to be that it's ok.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73