iPhone SE chipgate?

PaulDE

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Samsung manufactures the S8000 in the N69uAP model, the part number listed on the SoC is APL0898.
TSMC manufactures the S8003 in the N69AP model, the part number listed on the SoC is APL1022.
Source:
Apple?s A9 SoC Is Dual Sourced From Samsung & TSMC

I got my SE four days ago and was not really impressed with the battery life with the Samsung SoC under heavy usage.
Lucky me, I was able to get another SE from eBay which was only one day old but had the TSMC SoC.

So I went to do some GeekBench3 battery tests. Surprise, surprise (or maybe not so).. TSMC doesn't strain the battery like Samsung does. We can pretty much say that the "u" in N69uAP stands for "under performing". Testing was done three times on both phones. Both phones got their system restored completely through iTunes and loaded with the same iCloud backup prior of testing. Both phones had no SIM card and were not connected to WiFi during the tests. No apps other than GeekBench3 itself were running during the tests. Screen dimming option of GeekBench3 was used.

IMG_1008.PNG

IMG_1009.PNG

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
So the N69uAP is Samsung?? F***... that means mine is Samsung... explains the ****ty battery life....

Paul Ellis1

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Just had a warranty replacement for my 64gb SE for various issues. My old one was Samsung and the new one is the TSMC chip. New one is running noticeably cooler and battery seems better so far

Spirit Vision Photography

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
Download "Battery Memory System Status Monitor" by Cactos from the App Store. When you run it, tap the "System" tab at the top of the screen. Model N69uAP has the Samsung chip, and model N69AP has the TSMC.

Thanks. I was just curious. This 128GB, SE is running great. It has already lapped my older 4s & 5 a few times.

Attachments

• IMG_2591.PNG
    IMG_2591.PNG
    257 KB · Views: 7

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
After reading this, I got curious and installed the Lirium Info Lite app on my SE (I had it on my 6s when I first read about the whole "chipgate" thing with that phone). Turns out I have the TSMC chip in my SE, just like on my 6s.

Spirit Vision Photography

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
After reading this, I got curious and installed the Lirium Info Lite app on my SE (I had it on my 6s when I first read about the whole "chipgate" thing with that phone). Turns out I have the TSMC chip in my SE, just like on my 6s.

Cool. This new 128GB SE is running great. Long battery life and it never gets warm. On occasion, my older 5 would warm up a bit.

SVP

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen