iPhone SE chipgate?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
:huh:

Just like I'll never understand what you hope to gain by trying to convince me to think the way you want me to.

Hmmm...

That's what public forums are for; sharing information, asking questions, discussions, debates, and various other types of things.

To "debate" is to "convince"...

If you didn't want that, then perhaps public forums aren't for you.

The beauty is that your own words essentially prove all I have to say about this.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I prefer Doritos honestly.

Edit: Sorry, I approach tension with humor... cheesy or not. !

I like the really cheesy Doritos. ;)

No tension here. Takes a lot more than a discussion to get me riled up. Both my kids have gone past the teenage sophomoric years, so been there done that and am totally use to it. ;)

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
how so? my iPhone 6S never overheated and easily gave me a 2 days battery life whereas my friend who had the Samsung CPU in his kept getting overheating issues and bad battery life due to that even after his carrier swapped his phone, he got yet another Samsung CPU based iPhone 6S and continued to have the overheating issue.
The behavior of your firmed's iPhone has nothing to do with the Samsung or TSMC SoC inside.

Everyones experience is unique. What is a fact and has been proven time and time again is that there were differences between the two chips. Small differences, sure. But differences nonetheless. As far as the answer to your question, I don't foresee Apple going the same route. The outcry was pretty loud. I'd imagine they would avoid it if at all possible.

As far as those saying it was "stupid" and "blow out of proportion"...you can't minimize the issues of others just because it worked well for YOU. That's not how problems get solved. As far as I'm concerned if I pay $850 for my phone and my neighbor pays $850 for his phone there should be absolutely NOTHING internally that would result in my phone under performing his by even a fraction. (And it has been proven to have been the case with the differences in chips). It's simply the principle. I pay good money for a company's product, the least that company can do is ensure, based on the hardware used, that their products operate in a similar fashion.

FWIW, despite my disagreement with the whole situation, I've got the Samsung chip in my phone. I haven't experienced any overheating and the phone works just fine for ME. I have NEVER gotten more than a day on my iPhone. Those people getting 2 to 4 days must not be touching their phones, lol. I have no idea have that's possible.
There are differences from different batches of the same chip (TSMC or Samsung) bigger than the differences from a sample of the same chip taken from a single manufacturer and another from the other.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Like I've said...personally I don't care about the two chips. My experience has been just fine. I'm not arguing that one is ruining phones while the other is a golden chip. I'm simply stating that there are documented differences between the two.
Documented ? Hardly ....

Btw the original thread derailed quite a bit. On the iPhone SE most probably we are going to find only TSMC chips.

mavsguy842

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If chips from two manufacturers meet Apple's specifications but one slightly outperforms the other, those with the overperforming chip have received a bonus. If you have the other chip, you have not been screwed except by your own mind. Getting what you paid for is not being screwed because someone received slightly more than they paid for.

Denis Master

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Undisputed and irrelevant. Look at CPU's. Buy 10 from Intel and overclock them as best you can. Each will run reliably at different maximum speed, giving different levels of performance. Gamers do this and FOR THE SAME MONEY they just get the LUCK OF THE DRAW. As long as all units perform to stated levels, nothing is wrong. I know you cannot overclock your phone, the principle is the same though. The same money gets you different things.

You, like Apple, have to live in the real world. If you shackle Apple or others to arbitrary, petty rules like this, progress will become impossible, meeting demand for CPU's being one issue.

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Any model of any phone with any chip can overheat for reasons completely unrelated to the chip. One issue with the same phone is probably an issue with that phone. The same issue with two more of the same phone, usually warranty replacements, is user error.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
My SE has a N69uAP chip, which is made by TSMC. I do not know if Apple has completely changed over to TSMC chip for the SE. My friend's 6s that has just arrived yesterday has a Samsung chip. But this 6s may have come from old inventory.
These things do not tell much, but I thought I heard that Apple has switched the entire A9 chip supply source to TSMC. Just curious. I have way too much slack time in hands, LOL.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
My SE has the N69uAP (aka TSMC) chip. I'm quite happy about that. Whether it truly makes a difference or not, doesn't really matter. But the important factor to me is, the less Samsung content the better. ;)

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
My SE is N69AP...Samsung chip....they're mad at me for getting rid of my Note 5

As many other people said, you can never measure the battery life by different chip brands in real life. There are so many variants in running a phone, and I can see the chip difference is the last thing you would feel, unless one is pushing the device to the limit such as long playing of high end game etc. I was only interested in this time around because of possible rift brewing again between Apple and Samsung, and Apple simply dropped the Samsung chip.

But you might feel a bit of sluggishness or seemingly shorter than expected battery life (still far better than 5s, and some says better than the 6s) in the first couple to few days. This is because the newly activated phone might be doing all sorts of things in the background. Usually, most likely culprit is the spotlight search indexing behind the scene, particularly if you set up your phone as a new device.. This might take quite a long time to complete it. Go to General>Spotlight Search and you may see everything may be toggled on by default. If so, just toggle on things you want the Spotlight to search. Each app has its own search function, and global search like spotlight is not needed. This will significantly shorten the indexing/reindexing every time you change something, which theoretically use up battery juice.

got556

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Just realized that the N69AP chip is TSMC or whatever. Either way it's really not going to bother me, but it will simply be anecdotal evidence when pointing out battery life after a week or so. :) Thanks for the info/tips.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
how so? my iPhone 6S never overheated and easily gave me a 2 days battery life whereas my friend who had the Samsung CPU in his kept getting overheating issues and bad battery life due to that even after his carrier swapped his phone, he got yet another Samsung CPU based iPhone 6S and continued to have the overheating issue.

I proudly have the Samsung chip with no issues at all. The whole chip-gate thing was click bate.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods