iPhone SE chipgate?

Snappy Phoenix

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I bought the iPhone 6S a while back and as lucky enough to have it with the Taiwanese CPU (Not Samsung), I forgot the name of that manfucaturer of that Taiwanese CPU but I never had overheating issues and had much better battery life than my friends with the Samsung CPU in their iPhone 6S.

Just wondering, are we going to have the same BS with the iPhone SE or will they all come from one manufacturer?

Snappy Phoenix

May 4, 2011
Visit site
That chipgate thing was blown way out of proportion. Forget it even happened.

how so? my iPhone 6S never overheated and easily gave me a 2 days battery life whereas my friend who had the Samsung CPU in his kept getting overheating issues and bad battery life due to that even after his carrier swapped his phone, he got yet another Samsung CPU based iPhone 6S and continued to have the overheating issue.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I have the same one as his. Mine does not overheat, and I had phenomenal battery life till 9.3. I'm a light phone user and can get almost 3 days from a fully charged battery.

Chipgate was grossly overblown.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Thought Apple recently changed over to 100% TSMC (Taiwanese). I bought and returned/sold 6s 3 times in the last 6 months and the last 2 were TSMC, although it may not tell anything. Thought there was some level of difference between Samsung and TSMC, but hope all of A9 comes from TSMC by now. It did psychologically impact many people.

Snappy Phoenix

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Thought Apple recently changed over to 100% TSMC (Taiwanese). I bought and returned/sold 6s 3 times in the last 6 months and the last 2 were TSMC, although it may not tell anything. Thought there was some level of difference between Samsung and TSMC, but hope all of A9 comes from TSMC by now. It did psychologically impact many people.

yeah I heard a rumor that all iPhone 7s will be from TSMC. I hope that is also the case for the iPhone SE.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I bought the iPhone 6S a while back and as lucky enough to have it with the Taiwanese CPU (Not Samsung), I forgot the name of that manfucaturer of that Taiwanese CPU but I never had overheating issues and had much better battery life than my friends with the Samsung CPU in their iPhone 6S.

Just wondering, are we going to have the same BS with the iPhone SE or will they all come from one manufacturer?

The only "BS" is this thread.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
my experience compared to my friend's who had the Samsung ones says otherwise.

Go figure

https://youtu.be/0bAeJ5fJ1M0

My phone with the Samsung chip did great. It's mostly what you do on your phone. The chip didn't make much difference. Apple said it did not. All testing showed it did not. I got over 12 hours usage time and 17 hours stand by with the Samsung chip. Can't do much better than that.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
my experience compared to my friend's who had the Samsung ones says otherwise.

Go figure

That doesn't show anything but the obvious. Will a phone get hot under heavy use (gaming, benchmarking)? Yes. Any phone, laptop, tablet, PC will do that. Benchmark utilities push the device/computer to it's limits for a specific amount of time. These types of limits do not come anywhere close to being reached during every day normal use. And as he said in the video (as did everyone else) there is only minor difference in battery life under normal use between the two phones. That's hardly anything to whine and cry about.

As for your friend. He either made a mountain out of a molehill over temperature, did benchmarking and didn't understand why his phone got hot, or he got a dud phone, and then another dud phone to replace it (which is not uncommon when receiving a refurb).

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Everyones experience is unique. What is a fact and has been proven time and time again is that there were differences between the two chips. Small differences, sure. But differences nonetheless. As far as the answer to your question, I don't foresee Apple going the same route. The outcry was pretty loud. I'd imagine they would avoid it if at all possible.

As far as those saying it was "stupid" and "blow out of proportion"...you can't minimize the issues of others just because it worked well for YOU. That's not how problems get solved. As far as I'm concerned if I pay $850 for my phone and my neighbor pays $850 for his phone there should be absolutely NOTHING internally that would result in my phone under performing his by even a fraction. (And it has been proven to have been the case with the differences in chips). It's simply the principle. I pay good money for a company's product, the least that company can do is ensure, based on the hardware used, that their products operate in a similar fashion.

FWIW, despite my disagreement with the whole situation, I've got the Samsung chip in my phone. I haven't experienced any overheating and the phone works just fine for ME. I have NEVER gotten more than a day on my iPhone. Those people getting 2 to 4 days must not be touching their phones, lol. I have no idea have that's possible.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Everyones experience is unique. What is a fact and has been proven time and time again is that there were differences between the two chips. Small differences, sure. But differences nonetheless. As far as the answer to your question, I don't foresee Apple going the same route. The outcry was pretty loud. I'd imagine they would avoid it if at all possible.

As far as those saying it was "stupid" and "blow out of proportion"...you can't minimize the issues of others just because it worked well for YOU. That's not how problems get solved. As far as I'm concerned if I pay $850 for my phone and my neighbor pays $850 for his phone there should be absolutely NOTHING internally that would result in my phone under performing his by even a fraction. (And it has been proven to have been the case with the differences in chips). It's simply the principle. I pay good money for a company's product, the least that company can do is ensure, based on the hardware used, that their products operate in a similar fashion.

With all the effort to put out this fire (?), I have to agree with above comment.
I thought it was mainly about the battery juice IIRC, and Apple was indeed concerned about it. They did publish a report showing that there was indeed a difference between the two chips, although it was about the battery usage. It showed only a few percentage difference, but it was Apple who published this report in an effort to calm down the market. In the real usage, there are people who found this difference be unacceptable. I personally did not even know there was such a difference and did not care much about it as it did not affect on my pattern of usage.
As expensive as iPhones are, it was good that Apple did acknowledge that the concern was legitimate, while OTOH saying that no practical difference in actual usage.. There were people who wanted to exchange their device for this sole reason, which Apple obviously desperately wanted to avoid.

I do not know if the change of chip makers was the result of this incident or not. But this type of concern does impact on people's mind.

bzeroh56

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Does somebody know the answer to the question 100% though? Also if you don't like the thread get out of it, don't complain just because someone's asking a question you don't like. It's just as bad as youtube up in here.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

They've done this before with other internal hardware, and they'll do it again if it means keeping up with supply and demand. IE; it's not unheard of to have two different manufacturing companies work on a device in order to keep up with demand. The only difference is that this time someone noticed, and some decided to make an unnecessary stink over it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox