Unlocked iPhone SE...

tanknitrous

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I have to be sure of something...I ordered an unlocked SE through Apple. What do I exactly need to do to get it activated on my Verizon account? I have never gone this route before. I have always switched things over in the store. The Verizon lady online is telling me I need to get a Verizon branded iPhone...but, I am about 95% sure that's not the case. Do I need to cancel my order through Apple and buy through Verizon or am I ok? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Hey,

I live in Canada, so the Verizon branded phone is a foreign concept to me; that being said, you should not have any issues using your phone with their network. Unlike other vendors, Apple does not install any carrier "bloatware" on their devices leaving the OS & firmware to no one but themselves. My understanding is that all you would need to do is to add the device to your account by specifying the IMEI number of your new device and inserting your SIM.

I would contact them and tell them that you wanted to add an unlocked devices to your account.

Good luck & cheers!

l33tpmp

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I have to be sure of something...I ordered an unlocked SE through Apple. What do I exactly need to do to get it activated on my Verizon account? I have never gone this route before. I have always switched things over in the store. The Verizon lady online is telling me I need to get a Verizon branded iPhone...but, I am about 95% sure that's not the case. Do I need to cancel my order through Apple and buy through Verizon or am I ok? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you are planning to replace an existing Verizon phone with the SE then simply swapping the nano sim will work. The SIM Free iPhone SE will work on all US GSM Carriers (AT&T & T-Mobile) and Verizon.

tanknitrous

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
If you are planning to replace an existing Verizon phone with the SE then simply swapping the nano sim will work. The SIM Free iPhone SE will work on all US GSM Carriers (AT&T & T-Mobile) and Verizon.

This is EXACTLY what I plan to do. Switching my 5S for the unlocked SE on my Verizon account. Thank you!

clouds0222

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
So let me ask in reading some of these comments. I have a 6s thru my carrier C-Spire, formerly Cellular South. If I order an unlocked SE through Apple, I can just swap my SIM card from my 6s to the SE and keep on going? I don't have to "activate" the SE on my C-Spire account? C-Spire is not a GSM carrier, they are CDMA....thanks for any help! :)

l33tpmp

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
So let me ask in reading some of these comments. I have a 6s thru my carrier C-Spire, formerly Cellular South. If I order an unlocked SE through Apple, I can just swap my SIM card from my 6s to the SE and keep on going? I don't have to "activate" the SE on my C-Spire account? C-Spire is not a GSM carrier, they are CDMA....thanks for any help! :)

Yes. Model A1662 (sim-free model) shows C-Spire as a supported CDMA carrier:

https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/#mn_p

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

See if something here from the Verizon official site can help you: Bring your own phone to Verizon: top questions answered

Unless they changed, Verizon is CDMA as is Sprint. AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
So there is only 1 model for all carriers it seems?

It's (The A1633) unlocked so that you can take advantage of the carriers who offer BYOP (Bring Your Own Phone). Which are two GSM carriers, AT&T & T-Mobile, and the two CDMA carriers Sprint & Verizon. You don't always have to go directly to those companies though. You can use companies through TracFone Wireless like Straight Talk, which gives you the choice of using either the T-Mobile network or the AT&T network when you go to buy your sim from them. Unless you are already locked into a plan that does not allow you to BYOP, you have a great many choices out there for monthly offers with different companies that use one or a few of the bigger networks.

Slammed925

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
It's (The A1633) unlocked so that you can take advantage of the carriers who offer BYOP (Bring Your Own Phone). Which are two GSM carriers, AT&T & T-Mobile, and the two CDMA carriers Sprint & Verizon. You don't always have to go directly to those companies though. You can use companies through TracFone Wireless like Straight Talk, which gives you the choice of using either the T-Mobile network or the AT&T network when you go to buy your sim from them. Unless you are already locked into a plan that does not allow you to BYOP, you have a great many choices out there for monthly offers with different companies that use one or a few of the bigger networks.
So what model is tmobile using? I was going sim free unlocked but didn't want hassle about adding carrier insurance and couldn't get a definite answer.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
So what model is tmobile using? I was going sim free unlocked but didn't want hassle about adding carrier insurance and couldn't get a definite answer.

What do you mean? You mean what model is the T-Mobile branded phone? Not sure just yet, but you're better off getting an unlocked phone. If you get a branded phone then you're stuck with their bloatware that you cannot uninstall. An unlocked phone comes with only the default apps that Apple tosses on there. While you cannot technically remove those from a stock iPhone, it's better than having carrier branded crapware that you don't want on top of the default apps.

Plus, should you decide you don't like your carrier you can take your phone and go elsewhere, all hassle free.

You're also better off getting AppleCare instead of carrier insurance.

Slammed925

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
What do you mean? You mean what model is the T-Mobile branded phone? Not sure just yet, but you're better off getting an unlocked phone. If you get a branded phone then you're stuck with their bloatware that you cannot uninstall. An unlocked phone comes with only the default apps that Apple tosses on there. While you cannot technically remove those from a stock iPhone, it's better than having carrier branded crapware that you don't want on top of the default apps.

Plus, should you decide you don't like your carrier you can take your phone and go elsewhere, all hassle free.

You're also better off getting AppleCare instead of carrier insurance.
Already have Applecare, but want tgeft/lost piece of mind. You can unlock the tmobile phone after 45 days as well and go to another carrier. Sprint sucks here so not worried about them. I had a att and Verizon iPhone with no bloat ware, that may just be on Android.

l33tpmp

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Already have Applecare, but want tgeft/lost piece of mind. You can unlock the tmobile phone after 45 days as well and go to another carrier. Sprint sucks here so not worried about them. I had a att and Verizon iPhone with no bloat ware, that may just be on Android.

Correct. Bloatware is just on Android (not Nexus) and is never on Apple iPhones (thanks Apple) :) One other point, if you look at the link I previously provided in this thread, you'll see Sprint and Sprint-based VMO's won't work with the SIM-Free phone. A special model iPhone is required for Sprint. Last point, check the additional warranty and purchase protection provided by your credit card (assuming you use one for payment). Most double the standard warranty and cover things like damage, loss, theft. It varies by credit card.

Sgooter

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
The unlocked/SIM-free version of the SE is Model A1662 and, according to Apple, it will work with AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon. The A1662 is not fully compatible with Sprint. The SE version for Sprint is Model A1723; don't know whether it's locked or unlocked.

Model A1633, mentioned in a previous post, is an iPhone 6S, not an SE.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73