Why did Apple discontinue the 32 GB iPhone Models?

GeniusGuy

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Why did Apple discontinue the 32 GB Iphone Models?

I know it was introduced in the resembled phone:Iphone 5S. 16 GB is too low considering the 4K videos and ever increasing size of the heavy games. Although there is 64GB model availible but 32 was the perfect for me and most of the guys out there. Also it costs around 100$ more for the 64GB model which makes it 500$, Also taking away the extra bit of money we would have saved if Apple would have introduced the 32GB IPhone SE.

bchain996

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Re: Why did Apple discontinue the 32 GB Iphone Models?

I know it was introduced in the resembled phone:Iphone 5S. 16 GB is too low considering the 4K videos and ever increasing size of the heavy games. Although there is 64GB model availible but 32 was the perfect for me and most of the guys out there. Anybody can help me on this issue?
Profit margins. If they started at 32gb less would spring for 64

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site

They used to charge $100 more for 32GB, now you get 64GB for that price. Even the 32GB 5s was $499, now the 64GB SE is $499. I'm guessing that in the next cycle, the 16GB models will be replaced by 32GB models, at least for the top end.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site

I'd prefer to see a 32GB and 64GB instead of 16GB and 64GB. I guess its all about upselling

la551t3r

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site

The 16GB version is still a great option for either beginner users for smartphones, or the light/casual user base that primarily use the device as a phone and/or Facebook and the like. If you are using it beyond that basic function, then honestly 32GB is still pretty insignificant. The 64GB is probably the best storage option for most users based on the exact reasons you listed (4k video and large game sizes).

la551t3r

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site

The iPhone SE was geared towards smartphone beginners that probably won't need more than 16GB and the light/casual user base, so I don't foresee the 16GB model going anywhere for some time. For those that are heavy/pro users, they are probably looking for at least 64GB anyways. The 32GB models was good middle ground before the addition of 4k video and huge game sizes.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

How about the SE with storage capacities of 32 and 128 gb. Forget the 64.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site

They used to sell the $449 phones with 8GB, so I doubt they'll sell the $399 phone with more than 16GB. They have to justify the markup some how!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

They used to sell the $449 phones with 8GB, so I doubt they'll sell the $399 phone with more than 16GB. They have to justify the markup some how!

That's somewhat relative. I once paid $3,000 for a computer with a 133 MHz processor, a 2 GB hard drive, and 256 MB of RAM.
Technology advances and price points adapt. This is why a 128 GB 6s has the same price point as a 64 GB 5s had when it launched.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site

That's somewhat relative. I once paid $3,000 for a computer with a 133 MHz processor, a 2 GB hard drive, and 256 MB of RAM.
Technology advances and price points adapt. This is why a 128 GB 6s has the same price point as a 64 GB 5s had when it launched.

Pffft, please. I spent more than that on a Mac Classic II with a 16 MHZ processor, 2 MB of RAM and an 80 MB HD. :) (Oh my God, to look back on what computers cost me in my younger days is terrifying.)

mbranscum

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site

They lowered the price of the 64gb to the price of a 32gb. You should be happy.

Sander Soots

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site

The reasoning is simple market strategy. Since time has moved on, they had to bump the sweetspot offering to be competitve.

1. Price one phone very low. Cheap people will buy it. But make it so that they have reason to pony up more soon. Like next upgrade cycle.
2. Price phone midrange. This is where the sweet spot is and should theoretically attract most customers, if they are logical.
3. Price one ridiculussly high, so rich people will buy it. And those old-school users not yet on streaming will aslo buy it. It is your say iPod 128GB+ club... It's your special needs guys phone.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

The reasoning is simple market strategy. Since time has moved on, they had to bump the sweetspot offering to be competitve.

1. Price one phone very low. Cheap people will buy it. But make it so that they have reason to pony up more soon. Like next upgrade cycle.
2. Price phone midrange. This is where the sweet spot is and should theoretically attract most customers, if they are logical.
3. Price one ridiculussly high, so rich people will buy it. And those old-school users not yet on streaming will aslo buy it. It is your say iPod 128GB+ club... It's your special needs guys phone.

So the difference between cheap people and rich people with special needs is $200? Kind of. I get your reasoning, although I wouldn't refer to everyone who buys the loan end "cheap" or everyone who buys the high end "rich". I think people of all different levels of wealth have different needs, but most people gravitate toward the middle, or "sweet spot".

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

So the difference between cheap people and rich people with special needs is $200? Kind of. I get your reasoning, although I wouldn't refer to everyone who buys the loan end "cheap" or everyone who buys the high end "rich". I think people of all different levels of wealth have different needs, but most people gravitate toward the middle, or "sweet spot".

You're absolutely right! As a lifelong cheap person, I found my sweet spot with the high end 6s Plus. Go figure!

cbosdell

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site

I hate that 16GB is still a thing in 2016 when 32GB only costs a few dollars more in manufacturing costs and makes a huge difference in usability. That said at least 8GB is finally dead so it's slowly heading in the right direction.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I hate that 16GB is still a thing in 2016 when 32GB only costs a few dollars more in manufacturing costs and makes a huge difference in usability. That said at least 8GB is finally dead so it's slowly heading in the right direction.

It's all marketing, my friend! A 128 GB model has virtually the same manufacturing costs as a 16 GB model yet that translates to $200 by the time it hits store shelves.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

Pffft, please. I spent more than that on a Mac Classic II with a 16 MHZ processor, 2 MB of RAM and an 80 MB HD. :) (Oh my God, to look back on what computers cost me in my younger days is terrifying.)
Don't tell me... IIRC I spent something like $5000 on my first Mac, the Macintosh IIx , back in 1989...

Btw 16 Gb in 2016 is quite a cheap move by Apple. I really hope the SE will be the last iPhone to offer this size. Looking forward to 32/128/256 Gb choices next September.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2