Is the iPhone SE "mid-range" or something else?

Derek Kessler

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
I've seen a few sites use "mid-range" to describe the iPhone SE, but I'm not sure that's accurate.

Mid-range: screen, fingerprint sensor, price
Top-end: processor, radio, camera

So... where does the SE fall? Is it a mid-range phone simply by virtue of its size and price? Or is it a quasi-flagship that just happens to be little and less expensive?

WaveGod

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I think it would be fair to call it a flagship-level phone for people who do not want an increase in screen size. It lacks 3D touch and the upgraded front-facing camera, but I hardly believe that's enough to warrant calling it a mid-range phone.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
The SE is mid-range compared to what? I personally wouldn't refer to the SE as a mid-range or a flagship; it's simply a great choice for those that want a 4" iPhone.

keithhackneysmullet

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
How could the SE be midrange when in it has the same cpu,gpu,ram,main camera , and operating system as apples flagship phone. If the 6s is a flagship then so is the SE

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Is the iPhone SE "mid-range" or something else?

The SE is a lesser model than the 6s hence the lesser price tag. I would definitely call it a mid-range device. I'm not discounting the SE's internals but if the 6s is a flagship device then the next logical step would be mid-range. "Mid-range" is rather ambiguous. All of Apple's products are high-end products.

snowmoon

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
I don't think "mid-range" properly describes the iPhone SE. It is nearly identical to the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, with the exception of a few features that it borrows from the older iPhone 6 and 6 Plus models. These are:
  • LTE and wireless bands
  • Fingerprint sensor
  • Facetime Camera

CasonAsherTech

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
I would say Apple was attempting to take on mid-range phones in terms of price, because it seems to be taking over the place of the iPhone 5S in the iPhone price range. Which blows my mind, but I like it! However in terms of performance and camera, the iPhone SE is every bit as powerful as Apple's current flagship, so I wouldn't discredit it by calling it mid-range.

Overall answer, I would call it a flagship aimed to take down mid-range phones. And if Apple's audience is prepared for a phone like this, I believe they could be successful in this.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I would say Apple was attempting to take on mid-range phones in terms of price, because it seems to be taking over the place of the iPhone 5S in the iPhone price range. Which blows my mind, but I like it! However in terms of performance and camera, the iPhone SE is every bit as powerful as Apple's current flagship, so I wouldn't discredit it by calling it mid-range.

Overall answer, I would call it a flagship aimed to take down mid-range phones. And if Apple's audience is prepared for a phone like this, I believe they could be successful in this.

THIS. "A flagship aimed to take down mid-range phones."

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I suspect that reported use of the term "mid-range" in regard to the iPhone SE is due to its selling price. The iPhone 5S and below sells for less than the $399 and the iPhone 6 and above sells for more.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't think I'd call it mid-range. It's got all the same internals as the 6S. It just doesn't have the 3D Touch and a slightly downgraded from facing camera. I don't think those items make it less of a flag ship level phone. Considering the comparison between that and the 6S I'd say it's a great phone for anyone wanting something smaller.

Snowman81

Feb 13, 2007
Visit site
With that much horsepower I don't think you can call it "mid-range". The screen isn't particularly high resolution, for sure, but the PPI is still pretty good, so overall clarity should be more than fine. The camera should be top notch since its using the same camera from the 6S....and really everything else is on point. It really is a small high-end phone in my opinion.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I would call it mid range. It certainly is not a 6s Plus which I believe are top end phones. Just because it has most of the internal of the 6s Plus does not make it top end. I believe you have to consider in the starting price, size and internals.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I've seen a few sites use "mid-range" to describe the iPhone SE, but I'm not sure that's accurate.

Mid-range: screen, fingerprint sensor, price
Top-end: processor, radio, camera

So... where does the SE fall? Is it a mid-range phone simply by virtue of its size and price? Or is it a quasi-flagship that just happens to be little and less expensive?

The iPhone SE an iPhone that costs $399 or $549. There's no such thing as a mid-range or top-end iPhone. They are all just iPhones that cost different amounts of money at different points in their life cycle.

The iPhone 4 at one point was a "top-end" device. Everyone is way over analyzing this stuff.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner