Terminal DOES NOT work in iOS4 JB?!

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Do the following to change your root and mobile password:

1) In Cydia, install OpenSSH. Respring phone.
2) Google for PuTTY and install on your computer.
3) Startup PuTTY. On main page, type in your IP address. Make sure "SSH" is dotted then click "Open."
4) If this is your first time, a window will appear saying something about saving authentication key. Just click on yes.
5) When you get to the screen that says "Login as:" type in: Root. Password: alpine.
6) Now, it should say your iphone name. Type in: passwd. Enter new password and repeat. Once done, just exit PuTTY.
7) Repeat step #3. This time "Login as:" Type: mobile. Follow rest of instructions.
8) If you don't want OpenSSH, go back into Cydia and remove it. Respring phone.

Last edited:

TampaDude

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Do the following to change your root and mobile password:

1) In Cydia, install OpenSSH. Respring phone.
2) Google for PuTTY and install on your computer.
3) Startup PuTTY. On main page, type in your IP address. Make sure "SSH" is dotted then click "Open."
4) If this is your first time, a window will appear saying something about saving authentication key. Just click on yes.
5) When you get to the screen that says "Login as:" type in: Root. Password: alpine.
6) Now, it should say your iphone name. Type in: passwd. Enter new password and repeat. Once done, just exit PuTTY.
7) Repeat step #3. This time "Login as:" Type: mobile. Follow rest of instructions.
8) If you don't want OpenSSH, go back into Cydia and remove it. Respring phone.

Yup...but you don't even have to log out and log back in as mobile. When you are logged in as root, just type "passwd mobile" and change the password for the mobile user. Piece of cake. :cool:

The Chaz

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Guys, I'm having some issues. I've been online for the past few hours trying to just get a custom SMS ringtone... here's the details:

3gs (16gig)
iOS4
went to jailbreakme(.com) and ... well, did that, got a few apps (including sbsettings and openSSH)
I created a file on my MAC OSX 10.5.8 named "sms-received2.caf" that I would like to be on my iPhone. Obviously.
I downloaded "Cyberduck", and have been about ready to scream ever since!

sbsettings give my Data IP to be (and I shut off the wifi) - 10.136.62.xxx, but when I use Safari and check my IP on websites, it says 168.205.x.x. I have tried SFTP (port 22) on both of these, with "root" and "alpine"...

What am I missing here? I can't even successfully PING my (alleged) IP address(es) successfully.

Thanks in advance. I know how to use "user CP", so I'll be able to interact with any kind souls who want to help!

(edit.....)
p.s. "SSH" is apparently too short of a string for the forum's search feature, so that threw me off for a bit. I just remembered that I can use google to search within domains.....

Last edited:

kilsey

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Sidenote, if you're on a Mac, you have SSH built into the terminal in OS X.

When connecting, type:
ssh -l root xx.xx.xx.xx
^xx = digits of your IP address.

-l tells SSH that you're using a different login name.

For the mobile password, repeat and sub in "mobile" for "root".

The Chaz

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! I was hoping to use a GUI ;)
So I tried that (not like I would have a clue of what to do next!) and it just... kinda... sat there. I think it timed out. I certainly timed out of patience.
I think my problem is the whole IP thing.
AAAAAaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!

Or maybe it's a router issue? I have got the settings page for my wireless router all pulled up, and I can't see anything that looks like it's stopping my mojo.
What the bleep is going on.

The Chaz

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
check!
but still no dice.......

edit.
Well, my router is about to parentally block me for the next 8 hours, so hopefully all you vampire tech types can give me something good to wake up to!

Last edited:

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
If you're using a Mac, just open terminal and type the following commands:

ssh root@xx.xx.xx
when prompted for a password, type "alpine" without quotes
when you are connected, just type "passwd" without quotes, enter "alpine" without quotes when prompted for the old password, and type and re-enter your new password when prompted

You can also repeat this for your mobile password, substituting mobile for root in the first command line.

futurecode

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site

texags08

Sep 8, 2008
Visit site
add this source:
cydia.xsellize.com

then search for:
mobileterminal ios4

works for me, just used it to change my default PW...

dave_birdi

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site

sfwrtr

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
ObViouS isN'T...

@myzhi...

Thanks for the info, but Linux shells are case sensitive. I typed CAPITAL R lowercase oot.

Yeah, you guessed it: "Root" didn't work and I mistakenly thought I had gotten rooted! Unfortunately, I did not realize your typo before I did a DFU. Yeah, yeah, funny. My bad for being a Windows programmer :(. BTW, the instructions worked great after I restored and JB'd my phone a second time.

Just to be clear, the value for the "Login as:" prompt is is all lowercase root for anybody reading this thread.

Mav3n

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Oh Rats.

Hmmmm.... So after finding that nasty bit of news that terminal isn't iOS4 compatable (yet?) I scratched my head for a bit then ssh'd. Because I'm rather anal, I did mobile first (don't ask why cause I don't even know myself) Anyway after mobile I went to root and, I guess, someone lagged (phone or putty I don't know), but when I relog with putty and and drop the passwd command on root, it responds that there's already an instance of passwd running. I'm VERY rusty on my linux command line. Whats the command to terminate a process. Is there a good command line primer somewhere? Also any rumint on when / if Mobile Terminal will be upgraded? I need it for a number of command line network tools I use.
Thus far I'm kinda disappointed on the number of 4.0 JB apps available. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't crash. Ah well! It's still MYPhone instead iPhone. :)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2