New App: WhoApp... anyone using yet?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
EDITED: DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS APP!!! It didn't work correctly AND forwarded my email to another number. When I realized that, deleted the app AND had to have my carrier reset my voicemail to my number. All is well now, and I apologize profusely for posting before I thoroughly checked it out.

I read earlier this morning about a new app called WhoApp. It's purpose is to identify unknown callers. Here's a link to the MacRumor's Blog article

I'm wondering if anyone else here is using it yet.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It changed the voicemail number?
I can see where some might need this service. I would remove my contacts first. But I don't get enough spam calls to warrant it. There doesn't appear to be malicious intent, but still...

Last edited:

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
The app actually forwarded my voicemail to their number, and I could only access it through their app. When I realized this, I got mad, and deleted the app. Of course, this disabled my voicemail, and I had to call AT&T to have them reset my voicemail. That was very easy and only took about 5 minutes, thank goodness!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The app actually forwarded my voicemail to their number, and I could only access it through their app. When I realized this, I got mad, and deleted the app. Of course, this disabled my voicemail, and I had to call AT&T to have them reset my voicemail. That was very easy and only took about 5 minutes, thank goodness!
It doesn't appear to be anything malicious though. It's what they have to do to make the service work. It does seem creepy though.

adam_teltech

May 19, 2016
Visit site

Hi Annie! Thanks for trying WhoApp. I'm sorry the experience wasn't what you expected. As Ledsteplin had said, our technology requires voicemail to go through us, similar to that of other services like Google Voice and YouMail.

BalrogWing

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi I downloaded and had the same problem, I'm not getting any voicemails at all now. I'm on tmobile, any idea how to get this fixed?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi I downloaded and had the same problem, I'm not getting any voicemails at all now. I'm on tmobile, any idea how to get this fixed?

Simply deleting the app will not correct the problem with your voicemail. I had to call my carrier which is AT&T, who was able to remedy the situation within about five minutes. I'm sorry that you had the same problem that I did. After reading a lot about this issue in the comments section on the article by Mac Rumors, i'm glad I deleted the app and I won't be giving it a second chance.

Steve Gonzales1

May 21, 2016
Visit site
It's not "creepy" at all. This is similar to how Google Voice intercepts voice mails and gives you more features as well. When you pasted **004*.... into the dialer, you to told AT&T's switch to reroute your voice mails; note that the app did not make the change, you did when you dialed the **004*.... There is another command (not sure what it is) to revert back. I think this is part of the PCS or GSM standard built into cell phones for the past two decades.
https://forums.att.com/t5/General-D...-results-in-quot-Call-forwarding/td-p/4786894

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
While I had the app installed, it failed to block a call that turned out to be a spammer. The app simply did not work for me.

Last edited:

anna_rose23

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
Hi There,

Hoping you can help - I am unable to set the call forwarding for WhoApp up. When I copy and paste the phone number then dial, the call immediately fails. I have tried different *-- combinations in front of the 10 digit number provided in case Verizon has a different formula and still no luck. I am missing important voicemails that are time pressing that I do need for work purposes and also a lawsuit I am filing.. I am afraid to delete the app as I've seen that will delete the messages but also really want to just retrieve them and turn the forwarding off to avoid any future issues. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi There,

Hoping you can help - I am unable to set the call forwarding for WhoApp up. When I copy and paste the phone number then dial, the call immediately fails. I have tried different *-- combinations in front of the 10 digit number provided in case Verizon has a different formula and still no luck. I am missing important voicemails that are time pressing that I do need for work purposes and also a lawsuit I am filing.. I am afraid to delete the app as I've seen that will delete the messages but also really want to just retrieve them and turn the forwarding off to avoid any future issues. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Try contacting Support through the app.

anna_rose23

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
Hey there - thank you! Unfortunately I can't even get that far.. I'm stuck at the setup instructions screen. I double checked the website's support section too (Want to know who?s calling? - WhoApp) and that wasn't helpful.

I'm thinking of maybe just going to Verizon to see if they can somehow retrieve my voicemails and then deleting the app.

Barry Wulfe

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
You apparently ignored all of the information provided during the setup process. The app specifically states that in order for it to function, you must allow it to intercept all calls sent to your regular voicemail. It also points out the fact that it CAN NOT automatically block calls. (The iOS operating system does not permit developer access to such functions.)

What WhoApp does do, is provide you with caller ID information for numbers coming in, without full identification. This allows you to ignore telemarketing, spam and other unwanted calls. If you want to completely block a number; you have to do that via the iPhone's phone app. Go to "recent calls" and locate the number you want blocked. Select the circled "i" button, to the right of that number. This will bring up a screen; where you can choose to have that number blocked.

Regarding your voicemail and uninstalling the app; WhoApp informs you that it is creating a new voicemail system (since, in order to function, it must intercept calls destined for your carrier's/apple voicemail, in order to identify the caller.) The final step of installation, sends you to a web page; which provides you with full uninstall instructions. Those instructions include the following:

To deativate WhoApp, please find your carrier and follow these instructions (include all special characters * and #):

AT&T: call this number, ##004#: If that does not work call ##61#, then call ##62#, then call ##67#

T-Mobile: call this number, ##004#

Metro-PCS: call this number, ##004#

Sprint: call *730, then call *740

Verizon: call *73: if that does not work call *920, then call *900

US Cellular: call *920 then call *900​

WhoApp was created by a developer who won a $25,000 competition, sponsored by the FCC. The goal was to create the best application to assist individuals in avoiding annoying Spam / telemarketing calls. While the FCC has had its "Do not call" registration list for several years; scammers and spammers will simply ignore that list. This is one of the few options available to iPhone users to avoid such nuisance calls.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2