Mail.app with push notifications

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I use an IMAP based email account and I am always in a pursuit to find Push alternatives for my '15 minutes of pain'. Every now and then I use the icloud email forwarding hack or use the Outlook app, but in the end revert back to the Mail.app for its simplicity and better integration. Other email apps like Spark or Cloudmagic don't fascinate me, because of the inability to turn off threaded view.

One thing is for sure, that Apple won't be adopting the IDLE protocol in Mail.app anytime in the near future, for their fear of battery drain (which I feel is unwarranted. Well, atleast give us the option to do IDLE with a serious potential warning for the users ).

But how about push notifications in the mail.app just like CM or Outlook or Spark have? The download starts once the mail app is opened, but atleast an immediate notification arrives.
I was planning on developing a copy of mail.app with push notifications, but a) I don't have programming skills and b) Even if I do learn, paying 99/year is just not feasible for this silly bug in my head.

I just hope one day, iOs adopts to push notifications for mail.app or even sweeter would be an IMAP IDLE implementation.

*****************************Rant over****************************************

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Check out the following information, if you haven't already.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203609

I suppose the support page is more for developers, who have APN incorporated in their developed apps. For IMAP based accounts, configured in default mail app, Apple would have to do something at their end, for users to get push notifications( different from pushing the mail immediately like exchange based accounts) immediately. Currently fetch at 15 minutes is the only option, as we all know.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I suppose the support page is more for developers, who have APN incorporated in their developed apps. For IMAP based accounts, configured in default mail app, Apple would have to do something at their end, for users to get push notifications( different from pushing the mail immediately like exchange based accounts) immediately. Currently fetch at 15 minutes is the only option, as we all know.

I use the Outlook.com app exclusively, and have been for the past month or so, and whenever someone sends me email, I usually get the notification within seconds of them sending it. On occasions within the past few days, I was on a business call and needed documents emailed to me, and sure enough, I received the email notification within seconds via my Outlook.com account and the Outlook.com iOS app.

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I use the Outlook.com app exclusively, and have been for the past month or so, and whenever someone sends me email, I usually get the notification within seconds of them sending it. On occasions within the past few days, I was on a business call and needed documents emailed to me, and sure enough, I received the email notification within seconds via my Outlook.com account and the Outlook.com iOS app.

Yes, that's the feature I am talking about, the instant notification. If you have noticed, only the notification comes instantly on outlook or CM.Once you open the app, the mail starts downloading. That is something that I would like to see on the default mail.app too.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that's the feature I am talking about, the instant notification. If you have noticed, only the notification comes instantly on outlook or CM.Once you open the app, the mail starts downloading. That is something that I would like to see on the default mail.app too.

If I recall, that is how it is with the native Mail app. At least it is in my experience, with the exception of the two throwaway accounts that I have deliberately set for manual fetch. I'm preparing for work, but I'll re-configure the native Mail app later this evening to verify. Anyway, take care and enjoy your day.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73