What podcast app do you use?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for an alternative to iOS's default Podcasts app. Any suggestions? Why do you think it's better than Apple's version?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've used Downcast, Instacast and maybe a couple of others, and I've enjoyed them all. Having said that, I don't listen to enough podcasts to need anything more than Apple's native Podcast app.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I use Apple's Podcast app. Been using the default Apple application since my 1st generation Nano. I've tried podcast apps on both BB and Android, but always stuck with whatever version of Nano I was using, or iPad. Now that Apple started making devices that didn't have screens that were too narrow for a proper keyboard, I use my 6+.

Other podcast depositories lacked the all of the podcast that I listened to. I like the way Apple's podcast app syncs and deletes.

Why would anyone want to use anything else???

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Stock app. Before I used downcast (they also have a OS X version which is nice) and have used overcast.

Biggest draw for the stock app for me is that I use podcasts a lot in my car. When a call comes in, the phone will pause the podcast and I take the call over Bluetooth (phone is plugged in, playing the podcast over lightning cable). When I hang up, it goes back to the default podcast app, but when I was using a 3rd party app, it would go back to the default music app instead.

So since the most frequent place is in the car, I've found the most seamless to use, with the least need for me to fool with it while driving, is the stock app.

klin505

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
I use an app call Colony FM, It's like an alternate for podcast.
I like it a lot, it narrates articles and blogs online.

jodanchudan

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I use Overcast because of the voice boost feature - helps me hear podcasts in the car over engine noise! Worth noting that it doesn't support video podcasts though (I use the Apple TV for those so not an issue anyway). Tempted by Castro 2 purely because it looked like a refreshing change.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I am using the default one. So far so good. Why do you need an alternative?

It's not about needing an alternative as much as wondering what else is out there. Lots of people use third party apps in place of stock apps for various reasons (i.e. performance, better features, etc.).

I use Overcast because of the voice boost feature - helps me hear podcasts in the car over engine noise! Worth noting that it doesn't support video podcasts though (I use the Apple TV for those so not an issue anyway). Tempted by Castro 2 purely because it looked like a refreshing change.

I might try out Overcast. Honestly, I rarely watch video podcasts because I'm almost always on the road when I'm playing my podcasts anyway. Thanks for the suggestion!

anon(2254645)

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I use the default Apple app, mainly because it works with my Sonos system. I'm not a heavy podcast listener due to a short 10 minute drive to work. When I am in the car for a longer period of time, or at home listening to Sonos, I will occasionally listen to one.

sjsharksfan39

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
I use ICatcher, even though I have tried using Pocketcasts and Overcast. Pocketcasts was decent but I didn't really like the episode filter thing, and Overcast is asking for a $10 a year subscription.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I use ICatcher, even though I have tried using Pocketcasts and Overcast. Pocketcasts was decent but I didn't really like the episode filter thing, and Overcast is asking for a $10 a year subscription.

Thanks for the feedback. I actually switched to Pocket Casts a few months back and really like it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods