Switching from Google Maps to Apple Maps--a few questions

live311

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I used Android for 5 years before getting an iPhone last weekend and I want to go all-in with the Apple ecosystem. I've been messing around with Apple Maps when I can to get it to work the way Google Maps always did for me and I have a couple of questions.

1. Google Maps allowed me to save locations for later use (i.e "star") that are not in my contacts. I did this just yesterday to plan a road trip with multiple destinations. Can you do the same thing with Apple Maps?

2. Google Maps is available in a desktop web browser, which I like for planning aforementioned road trips since I work faster with a mouse and keyboard. Did I miss something or does Apple Maps not have a comparable web site or Windows app?

3. I've never seen a traffic alert on my iPhone. I have my (fake) home and work addresses in my contact info but it never offers to tell me how long it will take me to get to work or home. If I open the app I can see the map with traffic info about as accurate as Google ever was, but no alerts. Google Maps would pop an alert even when I didn't really need them, but it would always let me know if there would be a delay on the drive home so I could consider alternate routes or a late day at the office rather than sit in traffic. Of course, I've owned an iPhone for exactly 2 business days and rush hour traffic hasn't been too bad here, so maybe that's why.

I really want to learn the Apple way so any help is appreciated. If I have to I'll just go back to Google Maps.

BarryPen

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried the Waze app? I find it FAR superior to Google Maps. I know this isn't answering your question about the Apple maps.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
For traffic, go to Settings > privacy > location services > scroll down to system services > scroll to Frequent locations > Toggle on. This should give you your personalized traffic conditions. I think it shows in the Notification Center.
Why a fake address?

live311

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I enabled frequent locations but heard it could take a few weeks to learn your driving patterns before it starts providing traffic alerts. In the meantime I'll try to remember to check manually before I leave.

Why a fake address? For privacy, of course! I set my home address to a restaurant a few blocks away and my work address to the parking garage across the street. Owners of standalone GPS units do this all the time.

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried the Waze app? I find it FAR superior to Google Maps. I know this isn't answering your question about the Apple maps.

Google owns Waze and incorporates its crowd sourced data in google maps. Sooooooo comparing the two is kind of moot.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity, has Apple Maps adopted an avoiding tolls option yet? That's always been the deal breaker for me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2