Wifi signal strength.

billybaldin

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys so I just moved into a new area and the wifi seems crowded. I also just switched from Android to iPhone.
So when I had Android I used an app called wifi analyzer. It graphically showed my signal strength and the strengths of those around me. It allowed me to figure out the best area to put my router and also the best channel.
fba45523f4458a1bd50445f421406a75.jpg

Is there anything like this on iPhone? I've tried downloading one or two but all they showed was my own connection.

Thank you for any help
Billy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys so I just moved into a new area and the wifi seems crowded. I also just switched from Android to iPhone.
So when I had Android I used an app called wifi analyzer. It graphically showed my signal strength and the strengths of those around me. It allowed me to figure out the best area to put my router and also the best channel. //images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/12/fba45523f4458a1bd50445f421406a75.jpg

Is there anything like this on iPhone? I've tried downloading one or two but all they showed was my own connection.

Thank you for any help
Billy

This?
WiPry by Oscium
https://appsto.re/us/LmPwA.i

There's other apps. Go to the App Store and search "wifi analyzer".

billybaldin

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Ledsteplin. That's a bit more technical than I need. I have 11 wifi networks in range not to mention my gadgets of interference.
The app I'm talking about looks at all those networks and finds the channel their using and if mine overlaps on any of them I can see that and change my channel to the clearest one. Also, I can figure out where the best place to put my router is.
It seems to be a basic app. I'm quite surprised Apple doesn't have anything like it. I will just have to pry my wife's phone from her hands when she sleeps, and get it done

Thanks for the replies.
Billy

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, Ledsteplin. That's a bit more technical than I need. I have 11 wifi networks in range not to mention my gadgets of interference.
The app I'm talking about looks at all those networks and finds the channel their using and if mine overlaps on any of them I can see that and change my channel to the clearest one. Also, I can figure out where the best place to put my router is.
It seems to be a basic app. I'm quite surprised Apple doesn't have anything like it. I will just have to pry my wife's phone from her hands when she sleeps, and get it done

Thanks for the replies.
Billy

I never heard of that with iPhone. It's my understanding it grabs the strongest signal. What you want to do very well may be a waste of time.

MrMike6by9

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Apple's own Airport Utility, made for the Airport line of devices, has a network scan feature that can detect any wifi networks within your immediate area with their respective channels and signal strengths.
YMMV

billybaldin

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
4335eafed0514bd989e89ef7db22e842.jpg

Here are the before and after pics. These are all the networks in range of my router. It's pretty crowded. With just a little movement of the router it changes so that the channel I'm using isn't so crowded and hopefully will transmit a little stronger.
My Network is "Comcastsucks". Because let's face it. Comcast sucks. With this information I can change channels or location of router to to get the least crowded signal.
a8e70afcc794a1cde58315bf07911181.jpg

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Apple's own Airport Utility, made for the Airport line of devices, has a network scan feature that can detect any wifi networks within your immediate area with their respective channels and signal strengths.
YMMV

But will it provide a graphical output like the Android APP? I don't think so. I think most quality WIFI routers do the same thing. I think it's called dynamic frequency control. It is a FCC requirement so as to prevent radio frequency interference issues to licensed systems that operate in the 2.4 and 5.0 GHz bands. The FAA has problems with WIFI access points U-NII devices operating in the 5.0 GHz band that cause RFI to it's TDWR systems at air ports such as JFK and Miami from these U-NII systems. The owners disable the dynamic frequency selection and then the equipment sets up on or close to a TDWR system. This causes a large strobe on the TDWR display. The Android APP can look at both the 2.4 GHz WIFI band but also the 5.0 GHz band but I don't think at the same time though.

MirskyMan

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Did you ever find this? I was looking for the exact same app, but only knew the name because of your post. A friend had shown it to me on his Android and I've wanted it ever since.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77