Content blocking thread

Miska Hietala

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
So I've been going on with currently free Crystal which seems to block everything. It makes the browsing faster of course.
Thing is I tried to find a site which would have put Crystal toe to toe with other similiar apps. But I didn't find any. Every major website seems to praise " Peace", and I'm starting to believe there r paid to review it only. Haven't tried that app tho so I don't know the differences.
Do you have content blocker and does it work?

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
So I've been going on with currently free Crystal which seems to block everything. It makes the browsing faster of course.
Thing is I tried to find a site which would have put Crystal toe to toe with other similiar apps. But I didn't find any. Every major website seems to praise " Peace", and I'm starting to believe there r paid to review it only. Haven't tried that app tho so I don't know the differences.
Do you have content blocker and does it work?

No no no.

Marco wouldn't pay for a review. I am confident of that. He may pay for advertising but not a review. He is quite a stickler about these kinds of ethics.

I have tried both. Peace is clearly more configurable. They both work great at this point. It is easier in Peace to allow parts of a website, like the downloadable web font. You pull up the extension and change it right there in Safari. Crystal has no options. Advantages to crystal are its free and geared towards users reporting ads but there are no settings.

Miska Hietala

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. Good to hear that he doesn't pay for reviews. Was just an assumption.
Maybe I'll give some day Peace a try. Does it leave blank space to where the ad supposed to be?

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Good to hear that he doesn't pay for reviews. Was just an assumption.
Maybe I'll give some day Peace a try. Does it leave blank space to where the ad supposed to be?

Not in all cases but generally it does leave a space. Have noticed problems similar to No Script style blockers. You can't play a video or interact with facebook pull down functions like Hide all from Wilma.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Peace is doing well because Marco is an amazing developer. He has some great apps in the store and he cares about the users. When I saw he wrote Peace I bought it before I read one review. I knew it would be great and worked on regularly.

dougxd45

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Anyone noticing that the content blockers don't work if you launch safari from within an app? Example, open the "News" app and follow an article to it full page on the web. Ads and crap everywhere.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Anyone noticing that the content blockers don't work if you launch safari from within an app? Example, open the "News" app and follow an article to it full page on the web. Ads and crap everywhere.

Apps using the old version of the browser plugin are not compatible with any content blocker.

Last edited: