Should an iPhone game have a social component? i.e. a leaderboard, or way to invite friends?

ladylion262

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Does a game have to have leaderboards, sharing, to be successful? Do you care about that sort of public or competitive aspect in a game, such as a puzzle type game or a game where there is a score?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Should an iphone game have a social component? i.e. a leaderboard, or way to invite friends?

Does a game have to have leaderboards, sharing, to be successful?
No
Do you care about that sort of public or competitive aspect in a game, such as a puzzle type game or a game where there is a score?
I don't mind having a multiplayer option that does not require that I connect to a social network site like Facebook AND where I am able to choose my opponent. For example, wanting to play against one of my kids or a someone else I may know.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Do you have to have it? No. There are games that are so good they didn't need it.

At minimum I recommend at least sharing and leaderboards. If a user isn't into those they can ignore it. It can help the success of a game. The kids and I enjoy topping each other's high scores in a few games. Fee adults I know care about topping others' scores.

Multiplayer is a bunch more complicated. I prefer games that are fun with or without it. Super mega successful games are more often then not multiplayer only. But it's a big spectrum on the success scale.

The multiplayer type I prefer is head to head. But my kids play mmp games often.

Cheers.

ladylion262

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks! I guess I have to add some of these components. It's hard to know, since personally I don't usually look at leaderboards, etc, but it does seem that most people do.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2