instagram app refuses to give me push notifications

vermillionlove

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
I've been having this problem for at least two weeks now. I'm not getting push notifications for my instragram account.

Let me give you all the details : I have two accounts, one for personal photos, another I created so followers of my personal account wouldn't have to see all my pokemon-related posts. on my iPhone 4, I keep logged into my pokemon account. I have an iPad that I keep logged into my personal account. Before I got my iPad (about 6 months ago), I would log in daily to check my personal feed then log back out, and never had any problems with push notifications.

Well about two or three weeks ago I must have logged into my personal on my iphone, then logged back into my pokemon account... I started getting my personal account's notifications on my phone as well. soon, I was only getting my personal account's notifications, despite being logged in on my pokemon. And my ipad stopped getting notifications at all.

at that point I looked around for help and didn't find any, and tried to just put up with it, but the nature of my pokemon account almost requires push notifications, and I need them. someone suggested changing the settings for my push notifications on IG, so I went to the settings for it and it said "oops, and error occurred", and it's said the exact thing every time I've went to it since! on my ipad, I can view those settings just fine. I even logged into my pokemon account on my ipad (I never do this):broken-heart:, just to see if I could change the settings there, and no, I can't.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the apps. It worked for my ipad. I even tried a thing where you uninstall, move the date forward then back, and reinstall, and it actually asked me when I first opened the app if I wanted push notifications and I selected yes, but it STILL wouldn't work!

I have no idea what is at fault here. my account? my phone (must not be since it wouldn't work on my ipad either)? the recent update? or maybe I'll need to reset my phone to factory? if anyone knows how I can fix this, please help me :(

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Have you check the notifications settings to see if notification for Instagram weren't turned off? The settings inside the native settings app and not Instagram.

vermillionlove

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Yes I have. Looking at it right now, I have the alert style set to banners. badge app icon is turned on (though I admit I don't really know what that means?), sounds switched on. "show in notification center" turned on. "show on lock screen" turned on.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Notifications can be whacky at times. Try swiping the Instagram app out of the multitasking tray, then toggling Instagram notifications off completely in Settings, then do a hard reset of the phone. Then toggle notifications back on for Instagram.

Jpro23

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
Instagram is funny for notifications it's very picky on what it pushes. Most don't even come through, they changed this is as earlier builds for Android had a severe and I mean severe hit on battery life.

anon9567990

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
i have the same issue and it is honestly so frustrating. my personal account push notifications work fine but my fan account doesn't. i have tried complaining about the issue to instagram but they obviously don't care care because they

anon9567990

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
didn't get to finish my comment lol. but they don't seem to care about their app's issues and its users experiences. i sent in a complaint mooooonths ago and haven't gotten a reply from them since. so angered by this honestly

fellyc0

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
I'm having this same problem right now. It's been happening for about 2 weeks now, after I deleted the app to clear some space on my phone. And when I reinstalled it I was not receiving any push notifications.
I'm still receiving notifications for another account that's signed in to my app, but no notifications for my main account.
I did everything possible, reset my phone, deleted the app, cleared the data, reinstalled it about 20 more times. And still nothing!!
This problem doesn't seem to happen very often from the lack of information I found on Google or Instagram itself.
I sent about a million reports to Instagram, but they obviously aren't bothered about their customer's complaints.
I even went looking for a contact number for Instagram, but didn't find one.
This problem definitely isn't my phone's, but Instagram's fault or a glitch with my account.
I tried signing in on about 3 other devices and i didn't receive any notifications on them either.
What i'm most confused about is why this only started happening after I deleted and reinstalled the app....

fellyc0

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
******UPDATE*********
After 3 weeks I started receiving my notifications randomly. I gave up trying to delete and reinstall the app. I'm not sure if Instagram fixed the problem after my 2 lengthy complaints, or it was just fixed randomly, whatever it was, it worked!! And I'm as happy as ever now :)

GeorgeNehme

Aug 7, 2016
Visit site
I had a problem that my iPhone 6 ios 9.3.3 is not showing notifications from instagram and neither the tab of notifications in settings is hiding the instagram app; I searched everywhere until I removed my insta app from iphone and downloaded it on an android device and opened my username account there.

After that I redownloaded Instagram on my iPhone and entered my username normally. At the end I saw a message telling me instagram would like to show notifications and all was solved after 1 year

bela112

Dec 3, 2016
Visit site
I've been having this problem for at least two weeks now. I'm not getting push notifications for my instragram account.

Let me give you all the details : I have two accounts, one for personal photos, another I created so followers of my personal account wouldn't have to see all my pokemon-related posts. on my iPhone 4, I keep logged into my pokemon account. I have an iPad that I keep logged into my personal account. Before I got my iPad (about 6 months ago), I would log in daily to check my personal feed then log back out, and never had any problems with push notifications.

Well about two or three weeks ago I must have logged into my personal on my iphone, then logged back into my pokemon account... I started getting my personal account's notifications on my phone as well. soon, I was only getting my personal account's notifications, despite being logged in on my pokemon. And my ipad stopped getting notifications at all.

at that point I looked around for help and didn't find any, and tried to just put up with it, but the nature of my pokemon account almost requires push notifications, and I need them. someone suggested changing the settings for my push notifications on IG, so I went to the settings for it and it said "oops, and error occurred", and it's said the exact thing every time I've went to it since! on my ipad, I can view those settings just fine. I even logged into my pokemon account on my ipad (I never do this):broken-heart:, just to see if I could change the settings there, and no, I can't.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the apps. It worked for my ipad. I even tried a thing where you uninstall, move the date forward then back, and reinstall, and it actually asked me when I first opened the app if I wanted push notifications and I selected yes, but it STILL wouldn't work!

I have no idea what is at fault here. my account? my phone (must not be since it wouldn't work on my ipad either)? the recent update? or maybe I'll need to reset my phone to factory? if anyone knows how I can fix this, please help me :(