OOKLA Speedtest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Just giving a heads up on this app. I use it from time to time to check the speed in hotels and so on but recently have used it a few times to check 3G and 4G mobile data speed HOWEVER... I've just found out it used 50MB each time!!! that I ran the test on my mobile data speed! I get it does a download and upload to work out how quick but sure not 50MB!!! I've done about half a gig without realising!

Heads up if you're not on unlimited and use this app!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it does take a lot of data. Fortunately, it's not something we must do often. Wifi is what I check mostly.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it does take a lot of data. Fortunately, it's not something we must do often. Wifi is what I check mostly.

Agreed and now I know it terrorises mobile data use I will not be testing unless it's needed. I sometimes out of habit check my mobile data speed if I'm in a waiting room or another passing the time kinda place. I only have 2GB monthly 4G data so that's 5% of my allowance each time I test it!

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
It's pretty difficult to test throughput speeds (up or down) without a reasonably large amount of data. Kind of makes sense to me.

I appreciate that and clearly the file needs to be large so that the test can gauge a stable reading as if it was a small file it would be downloaded in a split second and there would be no variation comparison. My point is they should really make this more obvious to users within the app as to some users this is a big impact. I have an elderly couple who live up the road and he's quite into tech and likes the latest gizmos so I set it all up for him. He's been saying that his mobile data on his Galaxy S4 was slow etc so I told him to use the Speedtest app when it happens and see if the speed fluctuates by much. I then discovered he was testing it half a dozen times a day and only has 250MB of mobile data in his price plan! He was getting murdered with additional data costs each month and now I know why!

Cheers guys.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate that and clearly the file needs to be large so that the test can gauge a stable reading as if it was a small file it would be downloaded in a split second and there would be no variation comparison. My point is they should really make this more obvious to users within the app as to some users this is a big impact. I have an elderly couple who live up the road and he's quite into tech and likes the latest gizmos so I set it all up for him. He's been saying that his mobile data on his Galaxy S4 was slow etc so I told him to use the Speedtest app when it happens and see if the speed fluctuates by much. I then discovered he was testing it half a dozen times a day and only has 250MB of mobile data in his price plan! He was getting murdered with additional data costs each month and now I know why!

Cheers guys.

Again, sorry for your friends's plight, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Again, sorry for your friends's plight, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

He's 78 years old so I think he's well within his rights to be a bit unsure what he's doing tech wise. As for your comment I think it's quite arrogant to presume everyone is the same level of expertise. Outside of the IT/Tech Industry it's quite normal for people to be unsure how a Speedtest is actually registered and conducted.

There really wasn't any need for that comment, all you've done is make yourself sound like a bit of a **** and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work that out either....

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
He's 78 years old so I think he's well within his rights to be a bit unsure what he's doing tech wise. As for your comment I think it's quite arrogant to presume everyone is the same level of expertise. Outside of the IT/Tech Industry it's quite normal for people to be unsure how a Speedtest is actually registered and conducted.

There really wasn't any need for that comment, all you've done is make yourself sound like a bit of a **** and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work that out either....

Sorry that the answer wasn't obvious to you and that you felt the need to resort to name calling.

Have a nice day.

Sent from my mobile device via Tapatalk 3.2.1.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Cheers guys.

One day I saw on my "My Verizon" site where I had a spike of over 400 mb of cellular data. I'm a home body and am on wifi 97% of the time. It showed the usage at 2:33 pm. I was on wifi at that time. I called Verizon. They could not tell me what used it. But they could tell me that the usage could have occurred anytime between 2:00 pm and 8:00 pm. A 6 hour window. Then it occurred to me that I had gone outside into my yard to check LTE speeds on Speedtest.net. I checked it several times on different locations. I mentioned it to a tech whiz friend and he said it would only use about 10 mb per test. But I had 400 mb used with no other explanation. If that's what it was, then it took about 100 mb per test. That seems high. But I had done nothing else.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
One day I saw on my "My Verizon" site where I had a spike of over 400 mb of cellular data. I'm a home body and am on wifi 97% of the time. It showed the usage at 2:33 pm. I was on wifi at that time. I called Verizon. They could not tell me what used it. But they could tell me that the usage could have occurred anytime between 2:00 pm and 8:00 pm. A 6 hour window. Then it occurred to me that I had gone outside into my yard to check LTE speeds on Speedtest.net. I checked it several times on different locations. I mentioned it to a tech whiz friend and he said it would only use about 10 mb per test. But I had 400 mb used with no other explanation. If that's what it was, then it took about 100 mb per test. That seems high. But I had done nothing else.

Yes that's exactly what it was! I was also really surprised at how big each download was. I too would have expected it to have been smaller or more importantly prompt you onscreen before you perform a Speedtest using mobile data that it uses in excess of 50MB per test.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
You can offer feedback at OOKLA here, but you may need to register in. Using the online site to test requires Flash.
http://feedback.ookla.com/forums/236594-ookla-speedtest-net
I would think there's not much they can do about the amount of data used in testing. It's probably necessary.

Yeah cheers I saw that also. I'm a software developer so understand the reasons behind it but I just think they need to make people more aware that each test uses between 50-100MB of data because the average joe doesn't know this and will likely use this app if they're having problems with slow connections and like you said before you know it you've done 500mb in a few mins.

Like I mentioned my elderly neighbour who's 78 years old was using this app because he reported slow connections and his carrier told him to keep an eye on his speed in different locations and he did all his monthly data allowance after 3-4 tests! I wonder how many people out there are currently complaining about how they're using way too much data each month and have only browsed the web and used a bit of email without realising it's down to speedtests!

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Sorry that the answer wasn't obvious to you and that you felt the need to resort to name calling.

Have a nice day.

Sent from my mobile device via Tapatalk 3.2.1.

I never asked a question. You didn't bother to read my post properly. I wasn't asking for help or advice I was simply stating that the Speedtest app uses a lot of data on each test and they should make people more aware of this. You then turned all keyboard warrior and made derogatory remarks about it doesn't tack a rocket scientist to know this.

I did inform you that my neighbour was elderly (78) and not very tech savvy so wouldn't have any idea how a Speedtest worked. There was no need for you to make such comments. I'm not sure if you have control issues or a lack of power in your day to day life but there's really no need for you to jump down everyone's throats in a condescending tone when you weren't asked for your input on the tech capabilities of my elderly neighbour.

Do you need me to explain this in more detail or can you now see what an arrogant **** you are?

**Apologies for anyone else reading this**

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Do you need me to explain this in more detail or can you now see what an arrogant **** you are?

**Apologies for anyone else reading this**

[INFO]
P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)
  • Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
  • Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
  • Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.
  • Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.
[/INFO]

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
<INFO>

Here's some "INFO" for you...

patronizing or patronising:

having a superior manner; condescending

Definitions

to behave or treat in a condescending way
(transitive) to talk down to, look down on, treat as inferior, treat like a child, be lofty with, treat condescendingly.

</INFO>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711