BBM vs IMessage

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Double. Quoted instead of edited.

You're forgiven!
I don't even know anyone, family or friends, who use BBM. I don't even know anyone who uses WhatsApp. We're all content with iMesssge/SMS or Facebook Messenger. :)

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I like BBM as an IM and communication tool, but I have to agree the ad spam is annoying and they are asking too much to suppress them.

The ads are intrusive and excessive. I get shop notifications daily, ads in my feed daily, and sponsored invites maybe once a week. It's over the top, IMO.

I much prefer iMessage and FaceTime. Seamlessly integrated with iOS, and the majority of people I communicate with on a regular basis use them. And no ads!

I use BBM primarily to communicate with family members who are still using BB devices. But nobody else I know is even remotely interested in using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got one contact who won't use anything but BBM. The rest of my contacts are on iMessage or WhatsApp now.
Not worth a buck a month.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

Last edited:

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
You're forgiven!
I don't even know anyone, family or friends, who use BBM. I don't even know anyone who uses WhatsApp. We're all content with iMesssge/SMS or Facebook Messenger. :)

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Yah I use WhatsApp because I'm really cross platform. I do have it on my Note and my Lumia. And not everyone is willing to install BBM.

This attempt to monetise BBM is angering even some BlackBerry loyalists.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
We had been discussing spam on BBM. There is the option of getting spam free BBM at a cost of .99 per month.

As to why this is making me angry is BlackBerry driving itself into the ground through inefficiency and lack of vision and execution. Having to pay .99 a month to avoid getting spam is a ridiculous solution. A yearly subscription, perhaps. If I had enough contacts left to merit it. But a month is asinine.

That makes sense.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Kindly point out where I said using BBM made you a fanboi.

I thought you were insinuating the BBM users in the thread were BB fanbois. I apologize if I misconstrued your comment.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I thought you were insinuating the BBM users in the thread were BB fanbois. I apologize if I misconstrued your comment.

No worries. No foul.

Since I'm a BBM user, however minimally, I would have defined myself as a fan girl if I'd made that association.

And in 2015 I'm hardly a BlackBerry fan girl. Up until the 9900 yah I loved the phones and the company. My love has died slowly and surely over the last three years.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
It's a shame. I also used to use it but I'm just tired of the spam. I'm not paying $1 a month. It's the principal. I don't care what it costs.

Last edited:

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Yup. It's downright insulting.
I just bought a used Passport from a friend who was about to destroy it. She'd bought it on contract. So I gave her 150 which she will use towards an iPhone 6.
And even on the super dooper Passport it COSTS you to not get spammed.
View attachment 79589

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
And by the way....these claims of AMAZING FANTASTIC battery life......Same battery life as my iPhone 6.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
And by the way....these claims of AMAZING FANTASTIC battery life......Same battery life as my iPhone 6.

What pathetic marketing BB is doing these days focuses on "productivity". They're downright lying about battery life and the ability to get work done on iPhone. It's sad, really. That they've been reduced to this miserable state in the handset market.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
What pathetic marketing BB is doing these days focuses on "productivity". They're downright lying about battery life and the ability to get work done on iPhone. It's sad, really. That they've been reduced to this miserable state in the handset market.

It doesn't seem to really matter.
Blackberry sold only 4.7 million bb10 devices last year, it's beyond pathetic.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
ha ,,,,,,,,, when will these ios vs bb stuff end, so many hatred detected between these 2 os users hahahahhaa

btw +qbnkelt , do you like passport keypad ?

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
ha ,,,,,,,,, when will these ios vs bb stuff end, so many hatred detected between these 2 os users hahahahhaa

btw +qbnkelt , do you like passport keypad ?

The Passport keyboard is incredible. It is a pleasure to use.

Sadly, it's attached to the Passport. A phone with no native apps. And with a very buggy OS, where you're subjected to a flickering display reminiscent of a dying 1950s TV set. And a contact app that duplicates contacts like overly amorous Tribbles. And a camera that BlackBerry STILL cannot get right. And a desktop manager that is marginally better than the last time I used it. And a BlackBerry Assistant that is equal to Siri after she's had 15 too many pints. And an OMG TREMENDOUSLY AWESOME battery life that I've already got on my iPhone 6; the iPhone 6+ will kill it.

It was worth the 150 I paid for it. Not a penny more.

As to the enmity between the OS platform users....if you had my experiences you would know why.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
The Passport keyboard is incredible. It is a pleasure to use.

Sadly, it's attached to the Passport. A phone with no native apps. And with a very buggy OS, where you're subjected to a flickering display reminiscent of a dying 1950s TV set. And a contact app that duplicates contacts like overly amorous Tribbles. And a camera that BlackBerry STILL cannot get right. And a desktop manager that is marginally better than the last time I used it. And a BlackBerry Assistant that is equal to Siri after she's had 15 too many pints. And an OMG TREMENDOUSLY AWESOME battery life that I've already got on my iPhone 6; the iPhone 6+ will kill it.

It was worth the 150 I paid for it. Not a penny more.

As to the enmity between the OS platform users....if you had my experiences you would know why.

Really ? do you need times to adapt compare to normal keypad ? I tried several times on show unit, I find it hard to use, but i'm still curious about it, and I fond of the large screen for my documents reading (no phone with big screen and physical keyboard handset for this moment)

About the flickering screen and os performance, i think it will not much different with my q10.

and for the battery life, really, I don't know you're being sacarsm or serious. Please enlight me hahahaha

you bought that with 150 contracted or unlocked ? very good deal , tell me if you want to sell for 100 wakakkakakakkaka

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Really ? do you need times to adapt compare to normal keypad ? I tried several times on show unit, I find it hard to use, but i'm still curious about it, and I fond of the large screen for my documents reading (no phone with big screen and physical keyboard handset for this moment)

About the flickering screen and os performance, i think it will not much different with my q10.

and for the battery life, really, I don't know you're being sacarsm or serious. Please enlight me hahahaha

you bought that with 150 contracted or unlocked ? very good deal , tell me if you want to sell for 100 wakakkakakakkaka

I bought it used from a friend who couldn't stand it.

And no kidding the keyboard is glorious. Buttery cushiony with the perfect clickiness. And yes I do adapt easily because I use so many different devices.

The battery is the same as my iPhone. No difference. One day consistently. So already I know the iPhone 6+ will be better.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
I bought it used from a friend who couldn't stand it.

And no kidding the keyboard is glorious. Buttery cushiony with the perfect clickiness. And yes I do adapt easily because I use so many different devices.

The battery is the same as my iPhone. No difference. One day consistently. So already I know the iPhone 6+ will be better.

Well ... another device added on your collection hahahaha

dawey1

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Just to clarify for those that don't know, BBM is encrypted end to end out of the proverbial box.
You can purchase an added level of encryption if you wish, which is known as BBM protect.

There are many reasons why it's the best platform for IM but don't take my word for it.

BBM Is Better Than Apple?s iMessage Says BlackBerry, And Here's Why | Redmond Pie

I've never received any spam on BBM but that may just be my experience.

Just some facts and my 0.02$.

chetmanley

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
Just to clarify for those that don't know, BBM is encrypted end to end out of the proverbial box.
You can purchase an added level of encryption if you wish, which is known as BBM protect.

While I agree BBM is one of the best messengers available - it has many features that other messengers simply dont have - it is not accurate to say it is end-to-end encrypted out of the box.

It is encrypted with TLS to and from BB infrastructure, however, like facebook messenger, skype, snapchat and other similar services, BBM is not end-to-end encrypted such that the provider cannot access the message content when required by a warrant.

Between Blackberry 10 devices, an additional global key is used to further secure the data to and from the Blackberry Infrastructure. But again, this key does not prevent Blackberry from accessing the messages when required by a warrant.

The only way to get end-to-end encryption on BBM is to purchase BBM Protected from their enterprise store (as you already mention). This service adds a 2nd layer of encryption to the data (or 3rd layer in the case of BB10 to BB10 messages). Additionally, the encryption key exchange is brokered solely on the devices, providing end-to-end encryption which cannot be intercepted by the BB infrastructure.

Cheers

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR