BBM vs IMessage

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, there is a difference. For one, BBM is a Blackberry messaging app that is now cross-platform. iMessage is an Apple-only messaging app with the ability to send SMS and MMS messages to non-Apple devices.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
And email addresses, though I can't figure out what that means, but there's a section in Settings about "Send & Receive" addresses for Messages...

If you have an iPod Touch or an iPad, for example, you will not have a phone number associated with it, and therefore, your Apple ID can be used to send & receive iMessages. In regard to the iPhone, some people prefer not to use their phone numbers in regard to iMessages and thus, the send & receive settings allows them to choose.

anon8656116

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Yes, there is a difference. For one, BBM is a Blackberry messaging app that is now cross-platform. iMessage is an Apple-only messaging app with the ability to send SMS and MMS messages to non-Apple devices.

Technically, iMessage is only an instant-messaging service that’s included in the Messages apps on Apple devices. The Messages app is also used to send SMS/MMS on iPhones and other IM services on the Mac (e.g. Jabber, Yahoo! Messenger).

Explaining all the differences may take a while. These are the biggest:
  • BBM is cross-platform and requires downloading the app, iMessage is Apple-only and preinstalled;
  • BBM requires a separate account (BlackBerry ID), iMessage works without (on iPads/iPods it needs an e-mail address), but your Apple ID can be used for syncing between devices;
  • BBM contacts are based on anonymous PINs and require approval/adding of contacts, iMessage is based on your phone number and thus everyone could contact you alternatively to SMS/MMS.
Aside from those, they are pretty much alike in terms of chat functions, all though they do approach group messaging differently (on BBM they are bit more powerful). I think BBM is planning to add video chat at some point to their iOS app, but there is no indication yet.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
The BBM experience has gone to a very hot place without a basket since they've started spamming you. Get this app. Join this channel. ugh.....

Frankly I hate it. It was great once.

Also in groups you could not see pics within the chat. You had to go to a separate section within the group for the pics. Pain in the neck. Don't know if that's changed. The groups I belonged to left BBM once it became the spamming messenger par excellence.

anon8656116

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
The BBM experience has gone to a very hot place without a basket since they've started spamming you. Get this app. Join this channel. ugh.....

Frankly I hate it. It was great once.

Also in groups you could not see pics within the chat. You had to go to a separate section within the group for the pics. Pain in the neck. Don't know if that's changed. The groups I belonged to left BBM once it became the spamming messenger par excellence.

Truthfully, these messaging services cost money. Apple eats these costs whereas services like WhatsApp chose to require a $0.99 subscription and show no ads at all (although they are still burning a lot more cash than they are making in revenue). BBM has chosen another path, ads with an optional subscription to remove them (although pricy with $0.99 a month). Free services like Telegram are running on investments and donations, but have yet to reveal a sustainable pricing model.

Aside from that, BBM looks plain ugly on a well-designed device like the iPhone. :p

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Aside from that, BBM looks plain ugly on a well-designed device like the iPhone. :p

Sure does.

They tried to shoehorn their own ugly design language into the iphone app and ended up making a mess. Terrible decision, especially when you compare it to their Windows Phone app which actually follows the WP design language and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
The ads I don't like.

The PIN I kinda get. It's a pain to remember. On the other hand, I get spam messages in my iMessage.

You can block unsolicited iMessages for free. I used to get tons of spam on bbm back when it was relevant, way more than I've ever seen from iMessage. Now I have to pay to stop getting bbm invites for "local singles looking for a good time".

Nope.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Former BlackBerry user, here. The only major advantage I see in using BBM is that it is cross-platform. BlackBerry enthusiasts will tell you it is also the most secure IM platform, but unless you are using BBM Protected, which requires your phone to either be paired with a BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server) or that you pay an annual subscription for their cloud-based service, BBM is not as secure as iMessage, which uses end-to-end encryption.

BBM does also have nice collaboration features like groups, and also supports voice calls (video calls, too, between BB phones). It tried to venture into social media with Channels, but BB has completely ignored any development or improvements to that feature for over a year. It's a stagnant mess.

I'm also not a fan of the ads, but I understand that BB has to try to monetize the platform somehow. And I'm not willing to pay to turn them off.

I struggled mightily to get anyone to even try BBM. That requires downloading and installing the app, setting up yet another ID and password to keep track of, figuring out what your PIN is, and exchanging it with those with whom you want to be in contact.

The integration of iMessage and FaceTime with iOS makes it supremely easy to use. A large number of my contacts are using iPhones, so it's really a no-brainer.

For those not on iOS, I use BBM and Facebook Messenger. But iMessage and FaceTime are definitely my first choice now.

And no ads!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I use BBM to make calls in bad cell areas. Does imessage do that? I need cross platform messaging. I have many friends and family that left apple so it has to play nice with everyone.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I use BBM to make calls in bad cell areas. Does imessage do that? I need cross platform messaging. I have many friends and family that left apple so it has to play nice with everyone.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Out of the contacts with whom I used to communicate with BBM, only one remains. And we use Skype. I've used BBM voice a total of maybe three times since everyone I know, except for that contact, prefers WhatsApp. NOBODY I know was happy with the spam on BBM. ALL my groups I belong to have moved to WhatsApp because it's cross.! platform and doesn't spam the hell out of you.
And really?!?!?? BBM is NOT WORTH .99 a month.
BlackBerry got all the money out of me they're ever going to get. I'm not willing to help them get out of the holethey got themselves into through arrogance and lack of vision.