Which podcactcher do you use?

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
And also what podcasts do out listen to (or what are some of your favorites).

I'll start. So for the last few months I've been trying to use overcast because of all the reviews it's getting. While it's interface is very pretty I have some complaints. First of all everyone says smart speed is amazing and while it's probably pretty good for amateur podcasts most of the podcast I listen to seem to (at least to my ears) already do this themselves with their own editing so smart speed doesn't seem to make that much of a difference.

Also they have the vocal booster but maybe it's just me but I think that without the vocal boost overcast is actually quieter than most other podcasting apps because I have to turn up overcast fairly loud without vocal boost to hear it at a comfortable level.

Also I know that they don't have streaming because the podcast have to be downloaded first so they can be analyzed by the server so all the smart speed and stuff actually works but I only have a 16 gig iPhone so streaming for me is a must.

So I've tried overcast, stock podcast app, Castro, Instacast, Icatcher, and downcast.

Downcast is leaps and bounds my favorite. It may not be the most beautiful app, but I still think it looks pretty damn good and the feature set has exactly what Id want in a podcasting.

As for what some of my favorite podcasts I listen to, here you go.

The iOS Show
Macbreak weekly
The iMore show
Android central
Pocketnow
Girl on guy
Car talk
Getting Doug with high
The Bob and Tom show
Upvoted by Reddit

Just to name a few.

So tell what all you podcast lovers such as myself are rocking.

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Stock app works for the few podcasts I listen to... that are talk shows that I missed live...

Man the Stock is is actually really good. I don't know why people **** on it slo much. Just a little lacking on features hit otherwise it's very nice and syncs between devices flawlessly.

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm a huge podcast listener and the stock app works well for me. My favorites:

Freakonomics Radio
This American Life
PRI Radio West
Invisibilia
New Yorker: The Political Scene
Baseball Tonight with Buster Olney

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm a huge podcast listener and the stock app works well for me. My favorites:

Freakonomics Radio
This American Life
PRI Radio West
Invisibilia
New Yorker: The Political Scene
Baseball Tonight with Buster Olney
My least favorite thing in the stock app is not being able to choose your forward and back time. Only being able to fast forward or reverse 15 seconds is absolutely asinine.

Last edited:

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm using Castro right now and am using the Beta version, I really like the app and have about 22 Podcasts right now.

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm using Castro right now and am using the Beta version, I really like the app and have about 22 Podcasts right now.

Although it's one the most beautiful apps I've ever used it lacks a lot of features I use (it's been ages since I last used it though so maybe it's better lol)

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Although it's one the most beautiful apps I've ever used it lacks a lot of features I use (it's been ages since I last used it though so maybe it's better lol)

I was using a bunch of different apps with a ton of features and started using Castro. Now that I'm using it I don't miss any of the other features. I like that it's so simple to use.

Kevin Webb2

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Instacast has been my player of choice for years. I listen to about six or seven weekly.

The Football Ramble - soccer to us yanks
No Agenda
Android Central
Men in Blazers
Car Talk
WTF

Strangely enough I can't find an iOS /iPhone podcast that interests me. Tried all of the well known shows and they don't come close to android central.

stonerman33

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I listen to a ton of podcasts, and overcast is my player of choice.

45a69f9dc29fb73dc46ccb62559467f7.jpg

54 HOURS!!!!

That's a lot of time saved for me, though your mileage may vary.

Accidental tech podcast
MacBreak Weekly
iMore
Android Central
Back to work
Pen addict
Dot Grid
Roderick on the line
Tech Douchebags
Gear Geeks Live
Erasable
Mac power users
Gun Dudes

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My favorite among those I have used is Downcast, but since I don't listen to podcasts like I used to, I only have the native Podcast app installed. It suits my current podcast needs perfectly.

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Instacast has been my player of choice for years. I listen to about six or seven weekly.

The Football Ramble - soccer to us yanks
No Agenda
Android Central
Men in Blazers
Car Talk
WTF

Strangely enough I can't find an iOS /iPhone podcast that interests me. Tried all of the well known shows and they don't come close to android central.

While I love Phil, Jerry, Alex and all the guys sometimes AC an get a tad stale (still love them).

Also hve you tried the iOS Show? Even though I disagree with them often they still have great personalities, good content and their shows aren't to long. PS Jeff's face and voice do not match in the least lol

My favorite among those I have used is Downcast, but since I don't listen to podcasts like I used to, I only have the native Podcast app installed. It suits my current podcast needs perfectly.
I accidently deleted downcast (don't ask) and had paid for it with my old apple ID that I can no longer access and since have been using the stock podcast app. It's actually super good other than only being ble to skip/reverse 15 seconds but even that I'm getting used to..

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

They just updated their app a few days and the change log says they are working on Castro 2.0.

Are you using the beta for 2.0?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2