BeWeather 2 for iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
The temperature badge should update roughly every hour.

Make sure to never close BeWeather from the app switcher by swiping it up. This will kill any background processes (the one updating the badge).

Thanks Pfluger. So since reinstalling both on iPad and iPhone this morning, the badge was updating and "behaving". But now(4pm) I've noticed on my iPad the temp hasn't updated since 2pm and the badge disappeared altogether about 3pm. So far my 5S seems to be ok.

As far as keeping the app active in the background, I've left it alone yesterday and then today since installing it. I hardly ever close out my apps in the switcher, but I know I didn't close BeWeather yesterday or today when I started having the disappearing badge and not updating the temp.

FWIW, I know I have a good wifi connection because I've been streaming iHeartRadio on my iPad since 9am without any cut outs.

Any other suggestions?

tapped out by my P!NK fingers on my GORGEOUS GOLD 5S

sanibel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
A couple of times it was behind a bit. It seems all the temp badge apps have this issue to some degree.
That has been my experience as well. Temp-badges are finicky. But now with the widget-ability of iOS 8 the temp-badge is less important to me.

AppleNick

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Pfluger. So since reinstalling both on iPad and iPhone this morning, the badge was updating and "behaving". But now(4pm) I've noticed on my iPad the temp hasn't updated since 2pm and the badge disappeared altogether about 3pm. So far my 5S seems to be ok.

As far as keeping the app active in the background, I've left it alone yesterday and then today since installing it. I hardly ever close out my apps in the switcher, but I know I didn't close BeWeather yesterday or today when I started having the disappearing badge and not updating the temp.

FWIW, I know I have a good wifi connection because I've been streaming iHeartRadio on my iPad since 9am without any cut outs.

Any other suggestions?

I am also continuing to have the same issue on my 6+. For some reason it updated one time overnight when the phone was charging.

pfluger

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Are you 'marketing' it to any of the usual blogs (including imore) to do reviews? I have seen most new weather apps get a good amount of exposure on the apple blog circuit....
Yeah, we have contacted the typical Apple related blogs like iMore, TUAW etc. Ultimately it is up to them if or when they post anything. Unfortunately we haven't seen much response yet.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It might help some to toggle on Background App Refresh for BeWeather 2. Not sure if that would help the badge updating or not. I have mine on just for that one app. No badge issues to speak of.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

pfluger

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
It might help some to toggle on Background App Refresh for BeWeather 2. Not sure if that would help the badge updating or not. I have mine on just for that one app. No badge issues to speak of.

The background app refresh has to be on for the temperature badge to work.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

The background app refresh has to be on for the temperature badge to work.

Yes. I have the background app refresh on, just as i did when I first installed the app yesterday, and then upon reinstalling today I made sure it was on for both the iPad and iPhone.

And...I've spoken too soon. My 5S hasn't updated the temp since 3pm but at least the badge didn't disappear on me lol.

I wound up having to reopen the app altogether on my iPad & 5S to get things going again.

Either way, I'm real happy with the app overall, and I use the Notification Center to check on things through out the day anyway, so I will see the current temp updated there every time I open it, and that's fine. If the badge still stays fussy on my iPad and iPhone I'll just toggle it off.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes. I have the background app refresh on, just as i did when I first installed the app yesterday, and then upon reinstalling today I made sure it was on for both the iPad and iPhone.

And...I've spoken too soon. My 5S hasn't updated the temp since 3pm but at least the badge didn't disappear on me lol.

I wound up having to reopen the app altogether on my iPad & 5S to get things going again.

Either way, I'm real happy with the app overall, and I use the Notification Center to check on things through out the day anyway, so I will see the current temp updated there every time I open it, and that's fine. If the badge still stays fussy on my iPad and iPhone I'll just toggle it off.

When I added BeWeather 2 to my Wife's phone, I put it in the same weather folder with eWeather HD. Both had a temp badge. So the folder showed 88?. The temp was in the 40's. It added the 2 badges together. LOL!

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
When I added BeWeather 2 to my Wife's phone, I put it in the same weather folder with eWeather HD. Both had a temp badge. So the folder showed 88?. The temp was in the 40's. It added the 2 badges together. LOL!

As cold as it is here, wind chill and all feeling like it's in the high teens, I could only wish it to be 88? right now !!

Darthstorm528

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I've been just the opposite. When I had the Fahrenheit app, it took forever to update the badge. I've had no problems with BeWeather most of the time. A couple of times it was behind a bit. It seems all the temp badge apps have this issue to some degree. But BeWeather and eWeather HD have been the best.

That has been my experience as well. Temp-badges are finicky. But now with the widget-ability of iOS 8 the temp-badge is less important to me.

I never used the Temp Badge because I was never a Fan. The widgets in iOS 8 is a high welcome as I rather use them over temp badges, due in part as I was also an Android user and also the fact that you had to have the App refresh running when using the temp badge. I have that feature turned off

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
The temperature badge should update roughly every hour.

Make sure to never close BeWeather from the app switcher by swiping it up. This will kill any background processes (the one updating the badge).

pfluger,
Is this something new?
I didn't know I had to have BeWeather in the app switcher for the badge to update.
Perhaps this is why it never updated even with the previous version several months ago.
Is this something you're working so that we no longer have to have it in the app switcher for the badge to update?
I assume it's a minimal drain on the battery.
TIA

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

I had the same problem as you and AppleNick have reported. Widget is updating, yet no change in the badge icon all day. I tried opening the app thinking that would trigger a refresh.

While at home this evening I noticed that the temp number went away from the badge icon. I did a power cycle and the icon with temp number is back.

Digging in further, I see that yesterday morning @ 08:22:05hrs (Launch Time) BeWeather2Widget crashed with:

Exception Type: EXEC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Subtype: LAUNCH_HANG
Exception Message: The extension took too much time to initialize Triggered by Thread: 0

I also see a JetsamEvent @ 08:22:05hrs for yesterday morning. BeWeather2 is tagged as the Largest process.

I don't know if there is any correlation with the two, but perhaps after the crash BeWeather wasn't fully functional, and thus the icon badge temp didn't work until the power cycle this evening.

I also wonder if a JetsamEvent triggered the BeWeather2 exception. I say this as my understanding is that the JetsamEvent is a process by which iOS "culls" inactive memory or "freezes" the memory pages that are mapped to running apps (processes) that have been deemed "inactive" by iOS. I could be completely wrong here, so welcome anyone who has more clarity about JetsamEvent. Google searches didn't yield a meaningful definition (plenty of complaints, but not real technical details).

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Mine was updating fine until just now the temp badge disappeared.

I opened the app and it came back on.

Weird!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
pfluger,
Is this something new?
I didn't know I had to have BeWeather in the app switcher for the badge to update.
Perhaps this is why it never updated even with the previous version several months ago.
Is this something you're working so that we no longer have to have it in the app switcher for the badge to update?
I assume it's a minimal drain on the battery.
TIA
That's why they're called "Background Apps". Nothing new about that. All apps used are in the "app switcher". Not all are running in the background though. Just don't flick it out. I never close out apps in the app switcher, unless there's an issue like the messages app freezing up. It's harder on the battery to always delete all the apps in the background.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Mine was updating fine until just now the temp badge disappeared.

I opened the app and it came back on.

Weird!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
Mine did that once, but I can't recall why. It was something I did. When it comes to computers and techie things, nothing is perfect.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Ledsteplin,
You and I both use another weather app that doesn't need to be in the app switcher for it to update the badge icon.
That's why I was a bit surprised when pfluger mentioned it
Regardless, I will use BeWeather which ever way I need to for it to work
Good Luck

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Make that 16 5 ️ reviews. Just put mine in. BeWeather2 is my new main page weather app!

Kind of sad I could not get in on the beta due to device obligations that prevent me from using beta software :( but it is well worth my $$$

blueszz

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Just purchased it and left another 5 star review.

Congrats with this great app @pfluger!
It was amazing to see how you worked with the feedback you got on imore ☺

Here is my current layout.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416361892797.PNG
    uploadfromtaptalk1416361892797.PNG
    217.7 KB · Views: 36
  • uploadfromtaptalk1416361907554.PNG
    uploadfromtaptalk1416361907554.PNG
    277.3 KB · Views: 36

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
You guys are making me jealous.
I'm gonna have to be more creative and dress up my themes / icon set.
Good work to all.
Good Luck

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Ledsteplin,
You and I both use another weather app that doesn't need to be in the app switcher for it to update the badge icon.
That's why I was a bit surprised when pfluger mentioned it
Regardless, I will use BeWeather which ever way I need to for it to work
Good Luck
You mean with Background App Refresh on. They all show in the App switcher. And some run without background app refresh on. They don't all work the same way. Weather Underground is different in many ways. And that's where BeWeather 2 gets it's info and stuff. What's odd is none of the personal weather stations I have give a "feels like" temp. Many don't. But some in other areas do. I don't know the reason for that. But "feels like" is always the same as the current temp. I have seen it different a couple times on BeWeather. But it's usually the same. It's like that on weather underground too. I emailed wunderground and asked about it. No reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR