How to make my iphone ads free

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
There's a couple of apps that claim to remove some ads in Safari. I don't know if they work or not. I think it's some pop up and banner ads. That and using only paid apps is all I know, unless your jailbroken.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I suggest: just use for Movies, Music, Books. Use iTunes and iBooks. Use your computer to search for the stuff and definitely stay away from entering your email into free wifi hotspots.

acejunker

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Hmm. It's an area that's not explored yet. Since revenues are dependent on these ads, I doubt if someone will provide with a good alternate. But ads spoil user experience, not to say consume bandwidth as well. I have no choice but to wait.

Do jail broken devices have a choice??

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hmm. It's an area that's not explored yet. Since revenues are dependent on these ads, I doubt if someone will provide with a good alternate. But ads spoil user experience, not to say consume bandwidth as well. I have no choice but to wait.

Do jail broken devices have a choice??
Yes. It's a tweak you download from Cydia that blocks ads. I don't recall the name. I'm not jailbroken. Going forward, we'll be seeing more and bigger ads everywhere. More full page ads, videos, pop ups and banners. I already have a few apps that open with a full page ad. Those are free apps. But ads are starting to appear in paid apps as well.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Didn't know it was paid, when I got it it was free and I don't complain, it blocked ads I didn't know it could. Anyway, I was providing an answer to the OP question and I have tried it myself and works very well and didn't have to JB my device, but you'll never know until you try it, you can always ask for a refund.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Didn't know it was paid, when I got it it was free and I don't complain, it blocked ads I didn't know it could. Anyway, I was providing an answer to the OP question and I have tried it myself and works very well and didn't have to JB my device, but you'll never know until you try it, you can always ask for a refund.
Might do just that, especially since ads will get worse with iOS 8. Thanks!

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
There's a couple of apps that claim to remove some ads in Safari. I don't know if they work or not. I think it's some pop up and banner ads. That and using only paid apps is all I know, unless your jailbroken.

I guess OP could use something like ONAVO which adds a profile to your phone to remove ads. Wouldn't be completely in agreement with this though, because how else are the companies going to get $? I mean, yeah, Facebook doesn't *need* the $ anymore, but they wouldn't have gotten as evil as they are today without the money from ads*.

I wouldn't really suggest something like ONAVO though, as you're technically routing all your data through them. ONAVO has been around long enough, but I don't think they do ad blocking, so you'd need someone like them, who hasn't been around as long.

If it's a WiFi only device, you could get a DDWRT/Tomato router, and block ads from the router, but that wouldn't help you outside of your WiFi.

*Not putting ads in the feed, but selling everything about you to Ad companies.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Might do just that, especially since ads will get worse with iOS 8. Thanks!

You could set this up yourself, albeit more difficultly. They basically say all they do is basically make the iOS equivalent of a Hosts file, and route all ads to an IP that rejects them (a Google server that rejects HTTP/HTTPS traffic, meaning that they reject ads). Google could patch this though, and you are also, *technically* DDOSing them in a way, although likely not hurting them, like shooting a BBGun at a fully armored tank.*

*queue the people saying "A BBGun could royally mess up a tank!"

Edit: They did it in an ingenious way, given their constraints**, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't seem super difficult to replicate.

**has to be a real server, but they don't want to route through them, needs to reject HTTP/HTTPS content for privacy, needs to be a server someone trusts for security, pretty smart to use a google server on a port that would reject it

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR