Puffin Browser (authentication error)

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Bought the Puffin Browser, works great. Only issue I'm having is when I sign into my Google Chrome account I receive a authentication error when it tries to sync. I get the message saying signed in OK but after about 20 seconds I get the auth. error. Is there something I need to do in my Chrome Browser that will stop this error from popping up. Same thing happening on my iPad mini.
Thank You,
Vinny

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
If you have another Google account, try signing into that. I would say reinstall, but you're getting the same error on your phone and your iPad Mini.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That appears to be more a Google issue than Puffin. I use Puffin quite a bit, but never had anything like that happen. But then I have never tried to sign in to Google while in Puffin. Puffin is a great browser.

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
In the Puffin Browser settings about 1/2 way down there is a setting where you can click it to sync tabs with chrome, when you click this tab on, it asks you to sign into your chrome account. It signs it ok but I get authentication error pop up after it tries to sync. Happens on both iPhone 5S & iPad mini. I Googled the problem but no luck. Figured the Imore Forums would be a good spot to figure out this issue. Love the Browser.
If you have any ideas please throw them at me,
Thanks for responding,
Vinny

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't have Chrome installed. Why not just use the Chrome app? Is there a specific need to access Chrome in Puffin?

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I use Chrome all the time but being able to use all my tabs from Chrome in the Puffin Browser seems like a perk I would like to use if able. If I can't sign in for whatever reason I will use it as is. Thanks for your help,
Vinny

keithle06

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
New member here, This is the ONLY site I've found (searching for over a week) that has anyone else with this sync error with Puffin and Chrome. I have tried everything. One thing I did get to work is logging out of PC Chrome browser and back in and setting up what to sync then trying to log in on Puffin. But if I close Puffin and re-open it immediately shows the sync error again. I have it working on my iPad, I just can;t for the life of me get it to fully work on my iPhone, which I use most.

For those who don't understand the importance to some of us, We use Chrome religiously. And when we found Puffin and how fast it is, it is only logical to use it WITH chrome. Where everything is synced and stays that way. History, settings, passwords, tabs, all of it. That is the whole reason I bought the full app. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks, Keith

keithle06

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Puffin finally wrote me back....

Hi,
This problem occurs is because that Google does not support other Browser to use their library of sync tab.
We will remove this function in the next version.

If you would like to clear device's opened tabs,
please visit google.c0m/settings/chrome/sync and login with your Google account. Then click "Stop and Clear".
Note that this will clear all syned data of your Chrome and Puffin in Chrome sync servers.
Your local data such as bookmarks on per device will not be affected.

Sincerely,
Barry