What do you think of Facebook's secret experiments?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
There's a report today that Facebook ran secret psychological experiments on 600,000 users without them knowing it. The report says that Facebook changed users news feeds. What do you think of this?

Facebook ran secret psychological experiments on users | iMore
Facebook ran secret psychological experiments on users via @iMore

In this day and age where privacy and personal rights are violated daily by those who are elected to govern over us, and what's good, decent, and moral are considered old-fashioned and outdated, I'm not surprised at all by Facebook's actions.

Last edited:

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I wish I could delete my FB account but I need it for work. I've deleted my private account and just use another one for work related matters.

I don't have any negativity on my feed anyway as I just unfollow anyone who posts up rubbish like that.

Facebook has always been shady and many new features have been implemented to 'enhance our user experience' but which are actually designed to ram more and more advertising (and therefore, more revenue for FB) down our throats, whether we like it or not... I actually dislike Facebook and all its shenanigans intensely.

As an aside, if you have a FB account, try out the browser extension Social Fixer (definitely works on FF and Chrome but i'm not sure if it is available on other broiwsers as I haven't looked), it can be used to remove all the adverts, customise the look and feel of the interface and filter out any game, app or phrase/word you want. Without it, I wouldn't be using FB at all, regardless of whether I need it for work or not.

Harrumph... curmudgeon mode off... :)

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
There's a report today that Facebook ran secret psychological experiments on 600,000 users without them knowing it. The report says that Facebook changed users news feeds. What do you think of this?

Facebook ran secret psychological experiments on users | iMore
Facebook ran secret psychological experiments on users via @iMore

Don't think its very shocking, its Facebook, don't put anything of great importance on it. Basically use it to keep in touch with some family.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Like, I guess I should get up in arms over it or something but I just find myself having a hard time caring. I use facebook as a tool to talk to family and friends. I do follow some pages but I very rarely look at my main news feed. Instead I have two custom lists, one for family and one for friends. I usually just check those two lists, make an insipid post or two about my boring life as a grocery store manager, and move on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk