Google Now - Push Notifications???

brett_f

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I don't seem to ever get a push notification from the Google app using Google Now. I have location services turned on, notifications enabled. If I open the Google app I always have several cards showing, but I never get a notification pushed to me without opening the app.

This is supposed to be supported since the last update. Any tips?

Thanks!

brett_f

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Yes I have power cycled the phone. I also did the ole delete and re-install. The app asked me to turn on notifications and location services when I re-installed, so I did that.

I'm stumped. It would be very useful to get notified with new cards. I have a Nexus 5 and that is one of the things I like most about it. Google Now is pretty dang useful.

brett_f

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I thought I would give it some more time, but I haven't received a single notification from Google Now. I never get "time to leave for appointment" ,etc. I set a reminder in Google Now, and it alerted me. Weird.

I would really like to figure this out because the notification cards are very useful. Any else have any insight for me?

Thanks!

-Brett

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I have the same problem. I wanted to give Google Now notifications a trial period for reminders but I never got the reminders. Kind of defeats the purpose lol. I'll just use Fantastical like I've been doing.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

brett_f

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Gary. So, just to add some detail here. I wiped my iPhone and set it back up as a new device. I would REALLY like for Google Now to work.. :)

I actually DO get alerts for reminders. I don't seem to get any other alert. Time to leave for meeting, etc.

Ugh.

Still open to ideas. Also does anyone know how to test alerts, other than setting a reminder? Any way I can force a Google Now alert on another type of card?

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you will get the same functionality of Google Now on your iPhone because of how iOS sandboxes each app. Unlike Android, there is no way to poll another app for data outside of what you put in to Google Now. Things like traffic alerts (time to leave for meeting) will not work. Hopefully this changes with iOS 8 and the extensibility options. Allowing Google Now to expand outside its sandbox will make it work better.

brett_f

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't think you will get the same functionality of Google Now on your iPhone because of how iOS sandboxes each app. Unlike Android, there is no way to poll another app for data outside of what you put in to Google Now. Things like traffic alerts (time to leave for meeting) will not work. Hopefully this changes with iOS 8 and the extensibility options. Allowing Google Now to expand outside its sandbox will make it work better.

Push notifications are actually supported now, but they just don't work for me. The only notification I get is reminders. Anything else, I have to enter the app. Ugh. Frustrating.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Google Now was my daily driver.
I was using the reminders, but it is not reliable.
Sometimes they work, other times they do not.
Plus unlike Android, you can set the reminders to be recurring.

Everything else in Google Now, does not work at all, the app has to be opened to see what is going on.

Last edited:

RocketRyda

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Google Now was my daily driver.
I was using the reminders, but it is not reliable.
Sometimes they work, other times they do not.
Plus unlike Android, you can set the reminders to be recurring.

Everything else in Google Now, does not work at all, the app has to be opened to see what is going on.

This is extremely frustrating, I have the exact experience. This thing was awesome when it was first launched. I recall being in the Pittsburgh airport and getting an alert from Google now telling me my plane was delayed, I would even get alerts telling it was time to leave for an appointment based on traffic. Now I rarely if ever get any alerts from this app. The only thing I get is shipment or delivery alerts DAYS after the activity has occurred. So disappointing, Siri is a joke when it comes to these kinds of things, and Google Now is not even on that level.

jehdesai

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
Did you guys find a solution yet. I also use google now on my Iphone 7 ,though i never got push notifications for traffic or movies even though the feeds are activated by me, Until two days back I would atleast get Courier / dispatch push noti for my online order at I have activated gmail feeds.But today even those have stopped. Instead the dispatch notification /alert can only been seen when i open the google now app and scroll left for 'cards'

I wish to get push notification for traffic and dispatches

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Yes I have power cycled the phone. I also did the ole delete and re-install. The app asked me to turn on notifications and location services when I re-installed, so I did that.

I'm stumped. It would be very useful to get notified with new cards. I have a Nexus 5 and that is one of the things I like most about it. Google Now is pretty dang useful.

Have you given the app permission to send notifications? Try deleting the app, then reinstall it and when it asks for notifications permission, tap ok or yes.