Woo-hoo BBM for iOS finally gets channels

projectman

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
If I could I would like to ask questions of folks who are using BBM. I used to use it...when I was on BB...but now I am on iPhone, which means I have iMessage. My question is: Why do you use BBM? Do you use it instead of iMessage (not sure if that is possible)? If it is possible to use it instead of iMessage, do you find the environment easier, better designed...?
I know I liked the BBM environment when I used BB. I have experienced iMessage...confusion/disconnect/something over the last few months and might like to try a different environment...at least for me and my family of iDevice users.

projectman

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I just downloaded the BBM app. When I used it before I was able to funnel all of my texting into the app (in the same way that iMessage handles all iMessage and regular text messages). I don't see a way to do this with the iOS BBM app. So...is it only usable with other BBM'ers or am I missing something? Just looking for a different environment to text from.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I just downloaded the BBM app. When I used it before I was able to funnel all of my texting into the app (in the same way that iMessage handles all iMessage and regular text messages). I don't see a way to do this with the iOS BBM app. So...is it only usable with other BBM'ers or am I missing something? Just looking for a different environment to text from.

BBM is like Whatsapp, in that you can only message people who have BBM. The messages you send will be seen only in their BBM apps, and there's no way to view those messages otherwise. Also, it doesn't support SMSes, so you can't send those unlike Google Hangouts.

More features include joining groups and having group functions like picture sharing and lists, not to mention Group messaging, and lastly Channels which is, as some have mentioned, newsfeeds that people can join and view the pictures and text posts you put up.

projectman

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
BBM is like Whatsapp, in that you can only message people who have BBM. The messages you send will be seen only in their BBM apps, and there's no way to view those messages otherwise. Also, it doesn't support SMSes, so you can't send those unlike Google Hangouts.

More features include joining groups and having group functions like picture sharing and lists, not to mention Group messaging, and lastly Channels which is, as some have mentioned, newsfeeds that people can join and view the pictures and text posts you put up.

Thank you. Exactly the info I was looking for.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Used channels on my BB, didn't get much out of it.
Seems like a hybrid of twitter/forums/RSS feeds, but without some of the benefits of the individual mediums.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Used channels on my BB, didn't get much out of it.
Seems like a hybrid of twitter/forums/RSS feeds, but without some of the benefits of the individual mediums.

I do agree with that, it is essentially a much smaller scale Twitter account, but I think it provides a little more privacy because of its scale.

And it allows for full resolution pictures now, so I guess that makes it at least on par.

NathDogg

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
The problem I have found with bbm voice on my iPhone is that the app has to be running in order for me to be notified that someone is calling me. If I force close the app the person calling me gets that I'm unavailable, I get no notification that anyone is trying to call.

I know this isn't a limitation with ios as google hangouts manages this fine, whether the app is running or has been forced closed.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The problem I have found with bbm voice on my iPhone is that the app has to be running in order for me to be notified that someone is calling me. If I force close the app the person calling me gets that I'm unavailable, I get no notification that anyone is trying to call.

I know this isn't a limitation with ios as google hangouts manages this fine, whether the app is running or has been forced closed.

It does drain a fair bit of battery, doesn't it, when it's left running... I agree... But I always try to keep my other apps to the minimum so it doesn't make my battery life go down the drain.

Which is another way of saying, maybe it really can't be helped unless BlackBerry makes BBM4all run in the background with no issues, headless.

Ntario

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone, Please check out my Channel Whudisit... It's a game i have on bbm channels where I put everyday items under the microscope, and you try and guess what it is. my channel pin is C0012287C or search Whudisit.

Thank you in advance, and welcome to BBM channelsWhudisit.png

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods