Dropbox or Google Drive?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have both, but I don't use Google Drive for anything, but I use Dropbox a lot. It's just what I prefer.

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Can you email a file as an actual attachment from either or is it just the ability to send a "link" to the file?

WreakingHavoc

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Moved over to GD because they give 5gb space for each acct. I got 25gb of space.

*****Team Jailbreak, sent using Tapatalk
iPhone 5, iPad 2, Apple TV 3, Macbook Air
Tweet @LondonComp ***

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Dropbox for everything because I find it more readily available on my phone or internet when I need it and very user friendly.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Can you email a file as an actual attachment from either or is it just the ability to send a "link" to the file?

You can email or text a link from the Dropbox website or via the Dropbox app that will then allow you to download the actual file.

alicepattinson

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Dropbox is more convenient because in Drive, you have to download the files if you want to use it and send to other email addresses. While in Dropbox all of the files are just synced. Dropbox is really easier :)

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I have both, however I think that dropbox is the winner for me. It syncs magically and has great api access for other apps. It's my cloud platform of choice.

LauraSchulz

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Certainly both services have advantages and disadvantages. What they both lack is local encryption which makes it pretty hard to use for sensitive information. Maybe SpiderOak or Tresorit are worthy alternatives because those in fact do encrypt your files before sending them off. Dropbox generally is more integrated into a world of third party application (for example password managers etc.) That's why you might go for Dropbox instead of Google Drive.

However, considering both have their servers in the US and the NSA scandal still having some woes you might want to avoid them altogether. Here is a feature chart of both services:
Google Drive vs Dropbox

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR