Why do people rag on Apple Maps?

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes, they used to be wrong but just the other day I used my iPad to get to a destination and I left my phone(Nexus 4) on charge and it had no issues taking me there. NOTE: I do NOT live in the US, I live in a country called New Zealand.

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
i'm often wondering the same. i live in your neighborhood (Melbourne) and to me Apple Maps are doing an outstanding job. reliable, great as navigation device in the car and of course beautiful to look at (especially the 3D in Melbourne region). I have heard a lot of more positive reviews lately though, I think those who still slag it off are the hard core.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
i'm often wondering the same. i live in your neighborhood (Melbourne) and to me Apple Maps are doing an outstanding job. reliable, great as navigation device in the car and of course beautiful to look at (especially the 3D in Melbourne region). I have heard a lot of more positive reviews lately though, I think those who still slag it off are the hard core.

It seems as if only fanboys call the Apple maps bad now...

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I love Apple Maps and I know it will only get better. I rarely use it though as I don't get to travel much and I'm very familiar with my town. But the few times I have used it's been accurate and awesome!! Although LOL there was this time earlier this year my mom and I were in Dublin, CA and we were trying to find a grocery store I believe but the place Maps told us to go to wasn't there.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree, I know my area really good, but must say the times I've used it. It's been great. And it's just gonna get better.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
The Apple Maps app works fine if you know exactly what address you're going to.

But if you're not sure where a certain store is, or where a restaurant is, it doesn't work well off partial information. Google Maps does -- it will find that Best Buy location, or that bar near an intersection, or that gas station.

That's the functionality people had with iOS 5, before it was pulled out of the default iOS setup, and that's what people got back when the Google Maps app finally came out. If you're travelling to an unfamiliar town and need to find stuff, Google Maps is your go-to app, not Apple Maps.

That said, Apple's decision to strike out on its own with iOS 6 makes lots of sense -- why contribute to Google's profitability as Google tries to take business away from Apple? It just temporarily led to iPhone users having a worse experience and lesser functionality.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Some people do it because they are used to other app's. Some may provide better date then Apple Maps.

Each IMO has their own pro's and con's

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
The times that I have used it on my wife's iPhone 5 maps is great and smooth. It looks great too. Accuracy has been fine, but we did have the whole address when we were using it. I use waze on my iPhone 4. I have thought about using google maps though. Waze looks like it was drawn with a crayon, but I do like the community side of it. The maps do seem to be a little outdated in some parts that I have found, but there is a map editor where you can in it so I am ok with it.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Yes, they used to be wrong but just the other day I used my iPad to get to a destination and I left my phone(Nexus 4) on charge and it had no issues taking me there. NOTE: I do NOT live in the US, I live in a country called New Zealand.

Apple Maps has taken me to the incorrect place more than I care to admit. Told me to turn on roads that did not exist anymore, told me turns that were coming up within 500 feet that were more than a mile away, etc. I banned it to the folder of forgotten apps and have not looked at it in more than 8 months. I am sure it has improved but between Google Maps and my Navigon app, I am doing just fine.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Apple Maps has taken me to the incorrect place more than I care to admit. Told me to turn on roads that did not exist anymore, told me turns that were coming up within 500 feet that were more than a mile away, etc.
Those experiences are not unique to Apple Maps... It happens on Gamin Nuvis... TomToms... and has happened to me with Google Maps & Navigon too... people hate on Apple Maps because they can... and some of them, because they want to to hate on Apple.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Those experiences are not unique to Apple Maps... It happens on Gamin Nuvis... TomToms... and has happened to me with Google Maps & Navigon too... people hate on Apple Maps because they can... and some of them, because they want to to hate on Apple.

I don't hate on Apple Maps because I can. And in fact I have not trashed Apple Maps...ever. Not have I ever hated on Apple. With a Macbook Pro Retina, 4 iPads, 2 iPhones and 3 Apple TV's in my house I am far from a "hater". Unfortunately Apple maps at the time was terrible, any Apple fan will admit that that relied heavily on a Maps application. Apple announced Maps at the time and a lot of people were listening and ready to give it a try, myself included. And we were let down at the time. Maybe it is better now. And that's great. But I don't care to check it out because I have apps that work for me.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I have been loving iOS maps on iOS 7, can't wait for mavericks to get the full experience.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Personally, Google Maps has worked better for me. The last 4 times I've relied on Apple Maps, it has taken me to the area and not the exact place I was looking for 3 of those times. It's certainly getting better but for my area and traveling it hasn't been up to par.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Reputation matters. On release it was bad so like bing maps even though it's usable NOW, the perception has been set.

Perception is reality to many people...

Sent from my Nook HD+ using Tapatalk 2

mszilard

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
photo (1).JPG

this is why i hate apple maps. don't give me the usual answers, that where yoi live is working greate. where i live, a town with 200k ppl not 1 street has a name. i can't set my home address, i can't set my work address. i made countless reports about it, but nothing, and i mean absolutly nothing has changed in the last year.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Apple Maps has taken me to the incorrect place more than I care to admit. Told me to turn on roads that did not exist anymore, told me turns that were coming up within 500 feet that were more than a mile away, etc. I banned it to the folder of forgotten apps and have not looked at it in more than 8 months. I am sure it has improved but between Google Maps and my Navigon app, I am doing just fine.

Kch, not sure if you are saying that the post above was hating on Apple Maps or not but if so I did not read anything in Xm_jdm's post above that is hateful toward Apple maps. What he said is that he was taken to wrong places before while using them. This indicates to me that at least he tried them and isn't just trashing them without even trying them like some people do. I've tried Apple Maps before as well and the directions were never as good as what I got while using my Navigon App.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR