Dropbox. What are the use cases?

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Hey iMore.

I've had a few people ask me recently if I use Dropbox so they could send me a file.

Just curious what kinds of things people use it for, pros and cons, advantages over other methods, cost, etc.

I'm always wary of handing any kind of data to the Internet, because once you do, it's no longer solely yours (eg: Facebook).
(Yeah, I know, I'm a Luddite swimming upstream against the digital current).

Anyway, looking for feedback to see if its something that might be useful.

Thoughts?

Edit:
It probably would have been more fun to make this read like a personal ad.
White male, well/h, new to file sharing scene, Dropbox curious.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I am jailbroken, so for me, Dropbox is a little more useful.

I can copy theme files, or other property lists (plists) to my dropbox, which then automatically appears on my Mac. I edit/theme/make whatever I need, put it back in Dropbox, which then appears on my devices. iFile, which is a finder-like app from Cydia, links directly into my Dropbox, so I can then copy said file directly into the correct spot in my file system. That's how I use it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It can be used for whatever you want to store in the cloud. You can create folders, store photos, music, documents, notes -- you name it -- and it's sharing function is awesome. Whatever you want to share with someone, a link will be created for them to share a specific item or items. Furthermore, you can access your dropbox from your smartphone, tablet or computer.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Before iCloud, many apps like 1password, used Dropbox to store files. This way when you have to replace your device information isn't lost. Sending links to download files is another important feature of Dropbox when file size is too large to be sent via email.

Being worried about security on the Internet is akin to being worried about your house burning down. Take the necessary precautions and you should be safe.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Before iCloud, many apps like 1password, used Dropbox to store files. This way when you have to replace your device information isn't lost. Sending links to download files is another important feature of Dropbox when file size is too large to be sent via email.

Being worried about security on the Internet is akin to being worried about your house burning down. Take the necessary precautions and you should be safe.

I'm a private person, hence my reluctance to share anything personal to the world. ;)
It makes me overly suspicious.

:::looks around for unseen threats:::

heberman

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I scan all of my paper docs and store all of my work docs in a Dropbox folder. That way, I have them available on my Mac, iPad, and iPhone. If my Mac's hard drive dies (which it will sooner or later), everything is still backed up on Dropbox.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm a private person, hence my reluctance to share anything personal to the world. ;)
It makes me overly suspicious.

:::looks around for unseen threats:::

I, too, am a private person, but my mention of sharing was not general sharing. I meant that if, for instance, you took some photos and uploaded them to your Dropbox, and a family member wanted to see them, you could provide them with a link to only the photos you want them to see. I hope that made sense.

Last edited:

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey iMore.

I've had a few people ask me recently if I use Dropbox so they could send me a file.

Just curious what kinds of things people use it for, pros and cons, advantages over other methods, cost, etc.

I'm always wary of handing any kind of data to the Internet, because once you do, it's no longer solely yours (eg: Facebook).
(Yeah, I know, I'm a Luddite swimming upstream against the digital current).

Anyway, looking for feedback to see if its something that might be useful.

Thoughts?

Edit:
It probably would have been more fun to make this read like a personal ad.
White male, well/h, new to file sharing scene, Dropbox curious.

I use it to share pics with a friend in England he can upload to a folder of mine that I shared and vise versa .. Or if I have files I found like jailbreaks or Ipsw files etc. and want to share with somebody

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I, too, am a private person, but my mention of sharing was not general sharing. I meant that if, for instance, you took some photos and uploaded them to your Dropbox, and a family member wanted to see them, you could provide then with a link to only the photos you want them to see. I hope that made sense.

That's what I hoped. Good to know.

Facebook must break you out in hives... lol

;)
Yep. That's why I don't use it much. :laughing:

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I am jailbroken, so for me, Dropbox is a little more useful.

I can copy theme files, or other property lists (plists) to my dropbox, which then automatically appears on my Mac. I edit/theme/make whatever I need, put it back in Dropbox, which then appears on my devices. iFile, which is a finder-like app from Cydia, links directly into my Dropbox, so I can then copy said file directly into the correct spot in my file system. That's how I use it.

I use it exactly like this, and can't imagine my workflow without it (actually, I can remember: it involved endlessly emailing myself updated files). But it's also invaluable for things I work on in two places (home and work computers) or with a collaborator (a large music file that might be too big to email, etc).

In short: Dropbox is invaluable, and only as publicly accessible as you choose. Go for it!

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I use it to email large files (mostly zips) and storage. Read the TOS, unlike Facebook, the data is yours and yours only. Dropbox also uses 256 bit AES encryption. Check it out.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I am a big Dropbox fan. I have been using it since pretty much when it came out.

I have a folder shared with my wife to sync files to each other.
I have a folder shared with my sister to share pictures, video, etc
I have a funny stuff folder shared with a group of friends that we can all add things too
I have an iOS and Laptop Wallpaper folder (I change my wallpaper, just about every day) I can add new wallpapers from any of my computers or mobile devices
I have a work folder that I use to sync docs from my laptop at work to my personal Mac and back to work, its faster than trying to get a thumb drive and copy files
I have a Health and Fitness folder to store all my workout data and reading materials
I have a iOS folder with apps and a Jailbreak folder with all the JB tools I have accumulated
I have an Apps folder to put the apps that I install on a regular basis and tools to fix pc issues

I use Dropbox to sync most of my apps, 2Do, 1Password, iAllowance, etc...

With all the referrals, beta testing and scavenger hunts I am close to 25gb of free space.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
That reminds me: if anyone reading this thread wants to sign up for Dropbox, using my referral link will get us both some extra storage space for free: http://db.tt/pRNKP4kb

Thanks!

I have about 10 GB on Dropbox from referrals. However, when Box (formally Box.net) offered 50 GB for iOS users I jumped on that. I use Box more now because of the storage. It's just as reliable as Dropbox.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I have about 10 GB on Dropbox from referrals. However, when Box (formally Box.net) offered 50 GB for iOS users I jumped on that. I use Box more now because of the storage. It's just as reliable as Dropbox.

It's funny, I grabbed the app during that offer but never signed up. Dropbox just seems so much better supported and more widely used by collaborators. That said, I don't use a ton of space

Amy wineBerry

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
A friend and I use Dropbox to share music. We create these playlists, get the music files together, and share that way. I also use Dropbox to upload my photos before I do a complete phone reset. Also, with pics being in Dropbox, I can share the folder with family and they can few at their leisure.

Since I had a GS3 for awhile, I was able to get 50 gb of additional Dropbox storage and will have it until next July.

Dropbox is just a convenient way to share files.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro