New iPhone 5 owner looking for a certain app.

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Just purchased a iphone 5, white with 64gb of int memory.
I have been a long time Android freak that has never used the iphone before. I always downloaded this app from the play store called "screen off and lock" This is a solid battery saver. Example, you are on a web page and when you are thru, simply click this app placed on the screen to shut off the screen immediately instead of waiting on the timer to kill the screen. Not only does this save battery but also saves the over use of your power button. After using this app it saves many many constant use of the power button. The power button is something that is always on the forums as wearing out. Same problem with any hardware.
My Question, Is there an app that would work on the iphone 5 like it does on Android???
Thanks, Vinny

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
You could use assistive touch to have an on-screen lock button. That way you can just use the onscreen menu to lock your phone from anywhere in the OS. It's located in the settings menu under general and the accessibility. Give it a try.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
assistive touch is the greatest just give it a day to get use to it then it becomes automatic

screenshots are a breeze

tdeljr

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree, I've had my iPhone 5 for a week and the first thing I did was activate assistive touch. I used screen off &lock on all my android devices, was one of the apps that I thought I would have to sacrifice when I came to the iPhone. It does take a little more to turn the screen off using assistive touch but I find myself using it all day.

Haseeb Rehman

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Well, I hate using the sleep button therefore I jailbroke my iPhone 5 and then installed an application called Activator (Search Activator Cydia on YouTube for more info) and now all I have to do to turn my screen off anywhere and any time in my iPhone, I simply have to swipe on my status bar. :3
I came from android too and I loved screen off and lock pretty much. But I have to be honest here and say that iPhone provides even better comfortability for turning your screen off anywhere you want to. All it requires is a jailbreak which is totally awesome thing to do so.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
its nice how you can throw it around the screen when it gets in the way and doesn't show up on screenshots

if they can let you customize it in iOS7 it would be perfect

NewtG.

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I just got a used iphone 5 32 gb, works great, but I am looking for an app that will shut off the screen when the lid to the case I have closes and turn the screen back on when I open the case lid, does anyone know of such an app. I use to have an android that had an app whos only fucntion was to turn off the screen when face down and turn it back on when face up helped a lot with battery life.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I just got a used iphone 5 32 gb, works great, but I am looking for an app that will shut off the screen when the lid to the case I have closes and turn the screen back on when I open the case lid, does anyone know of such an app. I use to have an android that had an app whos only fucntion was to turn off the screen when face down and turn it back on when face up helped a lot with battery life.

OK I guess this was the wrong place to look for this info,

Personally, I'm unaware of such an app, but there are smart covers that will do what you seek in similar fashion of the iPad smart covers.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure that will work with the iPhone though. I don't think it has the
magnets in it to do the auto shutoff like the iPad Smart Cover.

My recommendation would be just to use the auto-lock settings, Settings, General, Autolock, and set it to 1 minute and the. The screen will shut off after 1 minute of inactivity.

I agree with you 100% Karen. I assumed the OP was aware of the settings, but wanted an app or something separate instead.

NewtG.

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Thank You for the reply, maybe I am too use to android, but it seem like someone would have made an app that would turn the screen off when the light sensor or proximity sensor was covered. Would be handy not only for iPhone cases that have a cover but also for those time where you do not want to press buttons and just place it face down, as you know every time you press the home button it comes one press closer to not working.
Maybe I should try to find out how to build such an app :)

NewtG.

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I have a case for my iPhone 5 that is basically a battery case with a lid, when I close the lid the screen does not automatically go out, I would have thought it did but it dose not, that is why I was wondering if there was an app that would allow the light or proximity sensor to function in that way, I know I had an app that would shut off my screen on my android when I put it face down and start it when I picked it up, so if it was in my pocket it would be off, or if the lid was closed on the case it would be off and when I opened the lid the screen would become available. Waiting 1 min is not a problem I just think that it would help with battery life for me because I often use siri for a couple seconds and then not again for a bit, and as my iPhone was purchased used I worry about using the buttons for fear that they will give out prematurely.
Thanks for the reply thought:)

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if you're jailbroken, but if so you might try this: Cult of Mac ? How To Give Your iPhone A Working Smart Cover, Just Like The iPad

But any solution involving the proximity sensor might very well end up using MORE battery than simply letting the screen turn off after a minute. If you're really worried about the buttons failing (something I've never experienced in 3 generations of phones) you might be better off with the Assistive Touch (for non-jailbreakers) or Activator (for jailbreakers) solutions listed above.

NewtG.

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Not knowing a bunch about how the iPhone internals work and what uses battery most, I will just settle with letting it shut off by itself, and I am probably just paranoid about having a used phone. It seems like the lady who had this phone before me took darn good care of it.

As for jailbreak I was, but instability in phone caused me to update to 6.1.4 and enjoy the stability. when I was jail-broken my phone would respiring about 3 or 4 times a day and usually when I was needing it,or in the middle of a game. I tried uninstalling everything except Zepher, and Auxio (spelling probably wrong) and instability persisted, uninstalled those as well so basically just had Cydia installed and instability still. What I need in a smartphone is one that works when I need it to. Android has constantly let me down, Windows phones as well. Since I updated and lost JB iPhone 5 is flawless, great battery as well, right now 4 hours 45 min of use 20 + hours of standby and still at 40% not too shabby considering the same amount on my Droid Bionic(yea I know) with extended battery would be about 30% or so. Sorry rambling on now, thank you for all your replies non-the-less!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR