What app to use to keep scans of loyalty cards?

shyhermit

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I like to know what is the "best" (paid or free) apps to keep scans of loyalty cards so that I don't have to carry them in my wallet?

I saw many "wallet" apps in the app store, but all of them have too few reviews to allow me make judgment on which to try.

Is there a popular app to do this kind of thing?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
It depends on what stores you're looking for. Apple's built in Passbook solution does loyalty cards for many different places. I would check it out and see if where you shop is included.

For places that aren't included, you can always just snap a photo of the barcode and then have the cashiers scan the barcode off your phone. I do this at some places and it works great. Just make sure you have a clear photo.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

shyhermit

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestions so far. ;)

As you correctly guessed, I am looking for a solution "outside" of Passbook. I also want an app to "catalog" the photos of loyalty cards I take, so that I won't just put them in my camera roll.

I just tried out Key Ring. It requires an online connection even to just add a card. Preferred an offline solution with online elements that are entirely optional. :(

I am looking for a long-term solution, so I am most interested in an app that has been around for a while. This way, I know the app will not disappear with the next iOS update.

Appreciate other suggestions you can offer.

Last edited:

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I am using Key Ring as well, though I've only scanned one card in it so far. I don't remember forcing me to do anything online - though it wasn't for lack of effort. It did prompt me, but I cancelled out of any prompts to create an online account and it worked fine.

I was very disappointed the first time I tried to use it and the clerk said it wouldn't scan and she had to just enter the numbers. Got the impression I wasn't the first to try to use my phone there. Was I just unlucky, or is this common? I know the screen is reflective, but I still would expect it to scan. Maybe she needs to try harder?! :)

-- Send from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestions so far. ;)
You're welcome.

As you correctly guessed, I am looking for a solution "outside" of Passbook. I also want an app to "catalog" the photos of loyalty cards I take, so that I won't just put them in my camera roll.
The Keyring app does this sufficiently.

I just tried out Key Ring. It requires an online connection even to just add a card. Preferred an offline solution with online elements that are entirely optional. :(
No, it does NOT 'require' an online connection and never has. It will offer you a way to save your the rewards card images online for backup & restore purposes, but that's about it, and that is 'optional'.

I am looking for a long-term solution, so I am most interested in an app that has been around for a while. This way, I know the app will not disappear with the next iOS update.

Keyring has been around for awhile. Anyway, from a personal standpoint, I've only used the Keyring app and Passport for cataloging purposes. Those two are sufficient for my needs.

I just did a quick search in the App Store and saw [URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cardstar/id301460311?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]CardStar[/URL]. I've never used it or know anything about it, but it looks like something you may be able to use. Give it a try if you have time.

UPDATE: A data connection is indeed needed prior to the scanning of the first card.

Last edited:

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
No, it does NOT 'require' an online connection and never has. It will offer you a way to save your the rewards card images online for backup & restore purposes, but that's about it, and that is 'optional'.
It is pretty persistent about that - perhaps it was perceived as mandatory.

-- Send from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shyhermit

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Thank you. This is odd. I am looking at the app (Key Ring) right now.

When I press the "Add Card" icon, this message pops-up:

"Unable to Connect. Adding a card requires a data connection. Please check that you data connection is enable and try again."

There is no option to disable this and no option to bypass the pop-up to add the card.

Help?

You're welcome.

The Keyring app does this sufficiently.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I just did a quick search in the App Store and saw [URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cardstar/id301460311?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]CardStar[/URL]. I've never used it or know anything about it, but it looks like something you may be able to use. Give it a try if you have time.

I have used both... the process/function is similar... and the old "red laser" scanners in the various stores seem to have issues scanning the cards from both apps... it has to be related to the reflective screens on the iPhone... I think it’s the green lasers that read the cards/iPhone screen much better...

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. This is odd. I am looking at the app (Key Ring) right now.

When I press the "Add Card" icon, this message pops-up:

"Unable to Connect. Adding a card requires a data connection. Please check that you data connection is enable and try again."

There is no option to disable this and no option to bypass the pop-up to add the card.

Help?

After reading your reply, I deleted the Keyring app from my iPhone 5 and then re-installed it. I went through the process of adding a card for the first time and I was NEVER prompted with what you described in your last post and was able to successfully scan a movie theatre card that I had lying around. After that, I deleted the app again, and then reinstalled it, but this time, I put my phone in Airplane Mode. Like the last time, upon initiating the app, I was prompted to allow my current location. I selected not to allow. I selected "no thanks" and then "Maybe later" in the subsequent screens. Now, when I select to add a card, I get the "Unable to Connect" error that you received above. I then disabled Airplane mode and was able to successfully add the test card without a problem. Having said that, you are correct that a data connection is needed, but your created cards do not auto-upload to the keyring servers. Feel free to read their Privacy Policy.

Last edited:

shyhermit

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
That makes sense. Thank you for the confirmation.

What a friendly and wonderful community this is! I am so glad I posed the question here.

I love to see what other posters use as well. Perhaps there are other ones that are more suitable to my usage needs.

After reading your reply, I deleted the Keyring app from my iPhone 5 and then re-installed it. I went through the process of adding a card for the first time and I was NEVER prompted with what you described in your last post and was able to successfully scan a movie theatre card that I had lying around. After that, I deleted the app again, and then reinstalled it, but this time, I put my phone in Airplane Mode. Like the last time, upon initiating the app, I am prompted to allow my current location. I selected not to allow. I selected "no thanks" and then "Maybe later" in the subsequent screens. Now, when I selected to add a card, I get the Unable to Connect error that you received above. I then disabled Airplane mode and was able to successfully add the test card without a problem. Having said that, you are correct that a data connection is needed, but your created cards do not auto-upload to the keyring servers. Feel free to read their Privacy Policy.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have used both... the process/function is similar... and the old "red laser" scanners in the various stores seem to have issues scanning the cards from both apps... it has to be related to the reflective screens on the iPhone... I think it?s the green lasers that read the cards/iPhone screen much better...

I've been somewhat lucky in that regard. Walgreen's, CVS, Lids, Food Lion and Best Buy can scan my phone without a problem. I'm also assuming they have newer scanners.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That makes sense. Thank you for the confirmation.

What a friendly and wonderful community this is! I am so glad I posed the question here.

I love to see what other posters use as well. Perhaps there are other ones that are more suitable to my usage needs.

You're very welcome and I'm glad to have been able to help. Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend...;)

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I have used both... the process/function is similar... and the old "red laser" scanners in the various stores seem to have issues scanning the cards from both apps... it has to be related to the reflective screens on the iPhone... I think it?s the green lasers that read the cards/iPhone screen much better...

I just went back to that same store that couldn't scan my phone before. Got a smarter clerk who grabbed a hand scanner to scan my phone screen. The scanners in the register were red laser, but the hand scanner looked red too, though I didn't get a real good look at it.

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I just went back to that same store that couldn't scan my phone before. Got a smarter clerk who grabbed a hand scanner to scan my phone screen. The scanners in the register were red laser, but the hand scanner looked red too, though I didn't get a real good look at it.

I was wondering which store you are talking about Grabber5.0? This is in the interest of sharing for everybody's help.

I just started with KeyRing and will compose a list of stores and the various scanners where they worked and didn't work for me as of yet.

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
It is a grocery store called Price Chopper. I am sure I'd have a different experience at every Price Chopper in town. I don't know if they have stores anywhere other than KC or not.

StampKey

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,

Why don't you try StampKey? - Take your card images and add the name you like to have them sorted alphabetically. Where you have QR-codes or barcodes, simply take the picture on that side of the card.

a1_card.jpgimageedit.jpg

If you look for a loyalty stamp solution as a business, you can use the app to give yourself loyalty stamps with a StampKey business account.

Cheers

Attachments

• a1_temp.jpg
    a1_temp.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 30

madeano

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I use Stocard.. Updated for iOS 8 and 8.1 Has touch ID lock and a widget. It's free.

[URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stocard-rewards-cards/id444578884?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stocard-rewards-cards/id444578884?mt=8[/URL]

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73