Starbucks Free App of the Week goes digital...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Starbucks Pick Of The Week Goes Digital, No Longer Requires Cards | Cult of Mac

The Starbucks Pick of the Week promotion has finally gone digital, allowing you to download free apps and books on your iOS devices without a card or redemption code. All you need now is the Starbucks app, which will allow you to download the latest giveaway when connected to an in-store Wi-Fi network.

The Pick of the Week promotion, which began offering paid content from the App Store and the iBookstore back in 2011, traditionally used printed cards (above) that customers could collect in stores when they popped in for their morning coffee. Each card had a redemption code on the back, which you had to enter into iTunes to redeem your download.

But CNET reports that starting tomorrow, those cards are no more. All you have to do to grab your Pick of the Week download is open the Starbucks app when connected to a Wi-Fi network in a Starbucks store. It takes just one click, so you can download the latest app or book while you wait in line.

“This expansion, of adding apps and books, is the reflection of Starbucks and Apple working together to strengthen the relationship for customers,” Starbucks Chief Digital Officer Adam Brotman told CNET. “This is another step in the direction that we’re going to integrate more things into our mobile application.”

Starbucks is celebrating its new service by giving away Angry Birds Star Wars, the latest title in Rovio’s Angry Birds series. If you don’t already have the Starbucks app, you can Starbucks Pick Of The Week Goes Digital, No Longer Requires Cards | Cult of Mac

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
noticed this a couple of weeks ago when i had a badge in my Starbucks app

checked it and it was a free Depeche Mode song off of their new album. cool

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I've wondered why you could get the song of the week from the app, but not the app. Bout time they did this!

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
If I'm reading this correctly, this is actually terrible news?the quoted article says that not only are the cards going away (no more grabbing one to download later, or getting one for my wife), but that I now have to be on Starbucks' wifi network to get the download?? I really hope that isn't the case; I love the promotion but rarely have time in the morning to follow through with the whole thing while I'm paying for my coffee.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Massie - I took it to mean you had to be on their network to get the link for the download... of course, this is no good to me as the nearest Starbucks is 90 miles one way... but no worries as a local coffee house makes better coffee :)

taylorz_412

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
If I'm reading this correctly, this is actually terrible news?the quoted article says that not only are the cards going away (no more grabbing one to download later, or getting one for my wife), but that I now have to be on Starbucks' wifi network to get the download?? I really hope that isn't the case; I love the promotion but rarely have time in the morning to follow through with the whole thing while I'm paying for my coffee.

That's what it sounds like but it was only a matter of time until they stopped users from getting a bunch at one time

bravesfan007

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
It's about time in my opinion. I have noticed that the song downloads have started appearing in this same manner. That happened to me about four months ago. It's nice to not have to be able to stop in the store to get the download.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you need to be on there network. I got the notification for angry birds at home and downloaded it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you need to be on there network. I got the notification for angry birds at home and downloaded it.

You are right. I am at home on my own Wi-Fi network and after reading your reply, I initiated the Starbucks app and saw the Angry Birds Star Wars pick of the week notification.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21365563175.607302.jpg

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner