Mailbox for iOS review

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I had to wait a month in queue before being able to use Mailbox and many people had already had it and were saying it was boring. That didn?t deter me, I still wanted it and wanted to see how it was, see what the hype was about. And having to wait in queue, especially for a month, adds a bit of an exclusivity and elite feeling, for me at least. I watched as I went down the down final ten in queue, 3, 2, 1?.Mailbox. Just like that, same screen changes from the queue to Mailbox and asks you to sign in to your Gmail account, I understand it?s limited to Gmail right now, but I?ll happy when they add more, namely Yahoo.

Okay, so you sign in and you?re taken through a quick hands on tutorial with example emails. Your email organization is now gesture based, long and quick swipes to the left and right. A quick swipe to the right will archive your email while a long swipe will throw it in the trash, but don?t fret if you accidently trash an email, you can still access your trash can. A quick swipe to the left will add the email to a read later list and a long swipe lets you put it in a list. Mailbox adds a couple lists for you, but through the menu you can manually add your own lists and label as you see fit.

There?s not much else to Mailbox, from the main screen which is your inbox, you can compose and email, select to view archived email and emails in your read later list, share the app and find out about the photo they put behind your emails. You can also access the menu from the main screen. From the menu, you can access your inbox, read later, lists, archive, trash, sent and the settings and help menus. At the end of your trash emails you can choose to delete them all completely if you want. And your settings are typical, edit email accounts, add accounts, default account selection, signature, edit your lists, set snoozes for email, set your sync preferences, notifications and app badge count settings. Snoozing is a nifty feature, you can snooze any particular to be notified of it later if you don?t have the time for it now and don?t want to forget about it.

Overall, Mailbox has a user friendly UI and makes email much more interactive. I myself love gestures, and this is definitely delivers on gestures. If Mailbox gets Yahoo support I will probably stop using Apple?s default email client even though the notification does not come as soon as the email arrives in the app. Even now I?ve changed my settings to no longer sync my Gmail to my iPhone. The lock screen notification is also more informative and fun, it gives a glimpse of your email. I?m basing this all off of first impressions, and everyone knows first impressions are important. If my view ever changes I will edit my review to reflect it. It?s free, it?s fun, gestures all around for the gesture fans, give it a try, I think it?s worth the wait which is much shorter now since it has started running through the numbers pretty quickly. Yesterday I was over 100,000 and today I have the app.

EDIT: I have found that when in the inbox you can pull down from the inbox area to search your mail.

Last edited:

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I had to wait a month in queue before being able to use Mailbox and many people had already had it and were saying it was boring. That didn’t deter me, I still wanted it and wanted to see how it was, see what the hype was about. And having to wait in queue, especially for a month, adds a bit of an exclusivity and elite feeling, for me at least. I watched as I went down the down final ten in queue, 3, 2, 1….Mailbox. Just like that, same screen changes from the queue to Mailbox and asks you to sign in to your Gmail account, I understand it’s limited to Gmail right now, but I’ll happy when they add more, namely Yahoo.

Okay, so you sign in and you’re taken through a quick hands on tutorial with example emails. Your email organization is now gesture based, long and quick swipes to the left and right. A quick swipe to the right will archive your email while a long swipe will throw it in the trash, but don’t fret if you accidently trash an email, you can still access your trash can. A quick swipe to the left will add the email to a read later list and a long swipe lets you put it in a list. Mailbox adds a couple lists for you, but through the menu you can manually add your own lists and label as you see fit.

There’s not much else to Mailbox, from the main screen which is your inbox, you can compose and email, select to view archived email and emails in your read later list, share the app and find out about the photo they put behind your emails. You can also access the menu from the main screen. From the menu, you can access your inbox, read later, lists, archive, trash, sent and the settings and help menus. At the end of your trash emails you can choose to delete them all completely if you want. And your settings are typical, edit email accounts, add accounts, default account selection, signature, edit your lists, set snoozes for email, set your sync preferences, notifications and app badge count settings. Snoozing is a nifty feature, you can snooze any particular to be notified of it later if you don’t have the time for it now and don’t want to forget about it.

Overall, Mailbox has a user friendly UI and makes email much more interactive. I myself love gestures, and this is definitely delivers on gestures. If Mailbox gets Yahoo support I will probably stop using Apple’s default email client even though the notification does not come as soon as the email arrives in the app. Even now I’ve changed my settings to no longer sync my Gmail to my iPhone. The lock screen notification is also more informative and fun, it gives a glimpse of your email. I’m basing this all off of first impressions, and everyone knows first impressions are important. If my view ever changes I will edit my review to reflect it. It’s free, it’s fun, gestures all around for the gesture fans, give it a try, I think it’s worth the wait which is much shorter now since it has started running through the numbers pretty quickly. Yesterday I was over 100,000 and today I have the app.
Once again thank you for letting our other forum readers know in debth about the new mailbox app. I am certain this will come in handy to many people waiting for it or that already have it. Great job!

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
do the gmail emails still stick to the threaded lists or are they separate emails? (i.e., if you reply to an email is it lumped together with the original email or does it show up separate?)

I hate how the gmail app lumps emails together...

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
do the gmail emails still stick to the threaded lists or are they separate emails? (i.e., if you reply to an email is it lumped together with the original email or does it show up separate?)

I hate how the gmail app lumps emails together...

It lumps it still.

Blazin' tappity tap tap 2 you!

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
You mean grouping or just when replying?

grouping.. so say I have an email string for "New Mailbox App" that i've been sending back and forth with a friend.. the way gmail is now all those emails for that thread get lumped together.. I guess that's "conversation mode?"

Hmm, just looking at the stock iOS mail app it seems to do that as well... so now Ive confused my self..

in either case I dont like the grouping of emails.

I guess my main complaint with this is when you reply to an email there does not seem to be a way just to reply to one thread w/i an email string.. or to be able to just forward on email in the email string.. unless I'm just not doing it right.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW