Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts

Default Texting app

I am looking for a texting app for my sons iTouch. He is 6yrs old so I am looking for something that I can program numbers or emails so he can only text those numbers. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Global Posts
    6,990 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Default Texting app

If you are staying within the Apple ecosystem (everybody he might text has an apple device), then just use iMessage. You can add whomever you want to the Contacts app. This doesn't prevent him from texting someone else if he knows their email address and they are not in the Contact book though.

Otherwise there are lots if texting apps like TextPlus, WhatsApp, Kik and others but I don't know of any that completely lock down to a known contact list. The lists are more for shortcuts so you don't have to remember email addresses or phone numbers rather than locking you down to only entries in the contact list.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,249 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4/6.1

Default Texting app

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    If you are staying within the Apple ecosystem (everybody he might text has an apple device), then just use iMessage. You can add whomever you want to the Contacts app. This doesn't prevent him from texting someone else if he knows their email address and they are not in the Contact book though.

Otherwise there are lots if texting apps like TextPlus, WhatsApp, Kik and others but I don't know of any that completely lock down to a known contact list. The lists are more for shortcuts so you don't have to remember email addresses or phone numbers rather than locking you down to only entries in the contact list.
    +1. Agreed
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts

Default Re: Texting app

my sons itouch uses my Apple ID so that would not work
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    397 Global Posts

Default Texting app

Make him a separate iCloud account. I have my sons Apps account the same as mine but then he has his own iCloud account for iMessage and FaceTime.