Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Review: Ticket to Ride (iPad and iPhone versions), by Days of Wonder

Ticket to Ride, (iPad) (iPhone)by Days of Wonder
    $6.99 (iPad) or $1.99 (iPhone), *****

Pros:• Great import of the board game
    • Easy to learn and play
    • Multiple game modes and expansions

Cons:• None!

Ticket to Ride is the iOS import of the well-known and popular board game, Ticket to Ride. It is available in an iPhone version (Ticket to Ride pocket) and iPad version (Ticket to Ride). The fact that there isn’t a universal binary is pretty much the only negative thing I have to say for this app.

Review:  Ticket to Ride (iPad and iPhone versions), by Days of Wonder-img_1448.png

A quick overview of the game: The goal in Ticket to Ride is to build a train system, connecting various city. You draw cards indicating what colors of trains you can place (different tracks are represented by different colors). When you have enough train cars to build a connection, you play them, and build that connection. You goal is to connect cities for which you have drawn cards to each other. Each segment of your track gives you points (the longer the segment, the more points) and then you also get points for successfully connecting your cities. Different variants also give you more points (longest contiguous track, most cities connected, etc). The goal is to simply end the game with more points than your opponents.

Review:  Ticket to Ride (iPad and iPhone versions), by Days of Wonder-img_1450.png

Simple enough, but it can be very challenging to play. There are multiple strategies you can employ (try to connect the most cities, try to build the longest track, try to build the longest segments, etc). Since the segments are limited, you are competing with your opponents to place your trains first, and let me tell you it is very annoying when you have a city to connect, but the only train lines running there are taken by opposing players! In addition, you can buy in-app expansions (such as “Big City” that only connects major cities, or add-ons for maps of Europe, and even a map for 1910 USA. Each of these are $0.99).

Review:  Ticket to Ride (iPad and iPhone versions), by Days of Wonder-img_1455.png

The game play is relatively fast paced, and you have to stay on your toes. Better players than I probably do things like keeping track of the cards that other players draw (so you can try to anticipate where they are going to play their trains). In addition to individual play, there are online play option, pass and play, and local wifi.

Review:  Ticket to Ride (iPad and iPhone versions), by Days of Wonder-img_1456.png

My only real issue is the fact it is not a universal binary. The iPhone and iPad versions are basically the same (some layout differences, the included pictures are from the iPhone version). The iPad version is a little easier to play, simply because of the screen. On the iPhone version, you can zoom in and out, so any difficulty based on size of the screen can be easily dealt with. There are also a number of achievements you can try to accomplish, ranging from how you win to the number of points you get, and a variety of other options. I haven't gotten to the point where I am trying to for yet, but they are in the back of my mind!

Review:  Ticket to Ride (iPad and iPhone versions), by Days of Wonder-img_1457.png

All in all, this is a great board game that has been imported very will in iOS. The iPhone version ($1.99) and iPad version ($6.99) and similar to each other, and both offer an entertaining gameplay. The game itself is well designed (as evidenced by the popularity of the board game version) and you can buy various expansions to make the game more interesting. For the price, this is a great pickup, and I have been playing on both the iPad and iPhone repeatedly for a long time. Five out of five stars.

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
    ** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
    *** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
    **** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
    ***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating. Please comment on these reviews. All opinions expressed in this review are precisely that – opinions. You may agree or disagree. If you own the app, tell me what your opinion is. If the review prompted you to buy (or not buy) the app, let me know why. If you want more information about the app, go ahead and ask.
    Please remember to like or thank posts that are useful, entertaining, or beneficial.

Twitter: @skeetobite | Google+: ChrisVitek | Game Center: DRSKEETO

Current Devices: iPad Air 128GB Wifi | iPhone 5S 64GB AT&T
    PDAs: Visor Deluxe | Visor Prism | Zire 72
    Phones: Treo 680 | iPhone 3G | iPhone 3GS | iPhone4 | iPhone 4S | iPhone 5
    Tablets: iPad 1 64GB AT&T | iPad 2 32GB Wifi | iPad 3 64GB Verizon LTE