Review: The Walking Dead: Assault, by Gamagio, Ltd. (universal binary)

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
[URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-walking-dead-assault/id573981310?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]The Walking Dead: Assault[/URL], by Gamagio, Ltd. (Universal binary)
$2.99 ****1/2

Pros:? Great import of the comic book, feels like you are there!
? Easy to use controls

Cons:? Difficult to play on iPhone screen

The Walking Dead: Assault is the latest Walking Dead tie in, and this one takes solid aim at the comic book fans rather than the TV show fans.

The Walking Dead: Assault is a 3D, 3rd person shooter game that seems ripped directly from the comic books. The style of the game, the artwork, even the characters themselves all invoke the same iconic imagery from the comic book, as opposed to trying to tie it in to the popular TV show.

In The Walking Dead: Assault, you control up to 4 characters from the ?group?, with specific goals and tasks to accomplish. Each character is unique, with his/her own weapon and his/her own special moves. The special moves are important, because they can often save you in a life and death situation. You both around a wonderfully designed 3D board (which you can rotate, pan across, or pinch and zoom), trying to find objects, weapons, ammo, victims, and potential party members?oh yes, and try to kill zombies along the way.

IMG_0573.PNG

IMG_0576.PNG

The controls are easy to figure out ? you don?t have to worry about repeatedly hitting a shoot button or something, it is done automatically. You do have the option of switching between different weapons (which is important if you are trying to avoid making noise which attracts more zombies), and you have the options to use special moves, but beyond that all you do is move around. You can control members of your group individually, or make them all move to the same place. Come in certain proximity to a zombie, and you will fight. Get close enough to an item (or ammo) and you pick it up.

IMG_0580.jpg

One thing I found particularly fun is there is some degree of interaction with the environment. For example, everyone knows zombies are attracted to noise. So you can set off a car alarm which will draw zombies to it, but they will ignore you and move to the car, meaning they are easy to pick off. Of course, when the alarm goes off, you now have all those zombies to attend to.

IMG_0579.PNG

As you advance, you unlock additional group members (I currently have Glenn and Shane). You also have the option of buying power-ups (which stars that can be earned or purchased with in-app purchases). Right now, for example, you have the option to unlock Michonne if you have enough stars (which I don?t, sadly).

IMG_0575.PNG

The mood of the game is incredible enhanced by the music. The spooky, background music never takes over the focus of your attention, but it completely helps to build and enhance the mood of playing the game. Rarely have I seen such an appropriate music score with an app before. The game itself can be intense ? trying to outrun a horde of zombies when you don?t even know which way you are supposed to go might have turned a few more of my hairs grey! As you progress, the game gets surprisingly difficult fairly quickly.

All in all, the game is an excellent version of the zombie attack based on the comic book The Walking Dead. There is currently only one ?world? available, I assume additional ones will eventually be able to be purchased through in-app purchases. I found the iPad version of the universal binary easier to play, simply due to the screen size and my big fingers. For $2.99, this may be one of the best zombie apocalypse games that I have played, but probably only if you enjoy the stylized art from the comic book. Four and a half out of five stars.

All in all, even with its faults, this is still a very good app. Solid design and interface meet with interesting content, and deliver an enjoyable experience. While it may not be as much fun as watching an episode of Doctor Who, perusing the app is enjoyable in its own right. I wish there were more multimedia options as well as an ability to download images, and I especially wish there was information for Doctor number 1 through 8, but this is a good reference source for the ?modern? era of Doctor Who. At $6.99 for the whole app (as opposed to the previous price of $6.99 for each individual Doctor) this is almost a must purchase for any Doctor Who fan. Four out of five stars.

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating. Please comment on these reviews. All opinions expressed in this review are precisely that ? opinions. You may agree or disagree. If you own the app, tell me what your opinion is. If the review prompted you to buy (or not buy) the app, let me know why. If you want more information about the app, go ahead and ask.

*To all who are awaiting reviews ? I apologize about the lack of reviews recently, but I hope to post a steady stream of app reviews of the next few weeks. If you have contact me regarding an app review, I will try to get back to you as soon as possible. Please note that contacting me (even sending a promo code) does not guarantee a review. If you have not heard from me within the next week or so, please send me another PM*

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73