Please stop! - App Review pop up

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Devs, please stop trying to force customers to rate your app. I understand that you want to get your app recognized and used by non-customers, but dang, how about allowing those of us who purchase your app recommend your apps on our own according and without any prodding from you. To me, constantly being asked to rate your app is the equivalent of an annoying ad and I HATE ads. I've deleted a lot of apps that irked me with rate requests especially those that continue after I've taken the time to rate it. Therefore, if you want my help, make a darn good app and I'll tell everybody I can about it on my own accord.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Please stop!

Ah yes the random pop up's that seem to happen out of no where? lol

I hate them. Heck, it's not like there's any pop-ups saying "thank you for purchasing the app"....:D....There are some that will ask you to rate an app 5 minutes after you've downloaded them. WTH?

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Please stop!

I always wait until I’ve had an app for 3-6 months before I consider rating it. There are two exceptions to this rule:

1. The app is so bad that I want to warn others about it.
  2. I get that annoying popup asking me to rate it. In that case, it never gets a review or rating from me.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Please stop!

I always wait until I?ve had an app for 3-6 months before I consider rating it. There are two exceptions to this rule:

1. The app is so bad that I want to warn others about it.
  2. I get that annoying popup asking me to rate it. In that case, it never gets a review or rating from me.

'nuf said...:)

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

Devs, please stop trying to force customers to rate your app. I understand that you want to get your app recognized and used by non-customers, but dang, how about allowing those of us who purchase your app recommend your apps on our own according and without any prodding from you. To me, constantly being asked to rate your app is the equivalent of an annoying ad and I HATE ads. I've deleted a lot of apps that irked me with rate requests especially those that continue after I've taken the time to rate it. Therefore, if you want my help, make a darn good app and I'll tell everybody I can about it on my own accord.

D, I couldn't agree with you more !! Especially the apps that as soon as you download them, that pharking pop up to rate it is IN. YOUR. FACE. Super SUPER annoying !!

Like most of you said, I'll rate an app when i feel I'm ready to;)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Please stop!

D, I couldn't agree with you more !! Especially the apps that as soon as you download them, that pharking pop up to rate it is IN. YOUR. FACE. Super SUPER annoying !!

Like most of you said, I'll rate an app when i feel I'm ready to;)

Girl, yeah!....(laughing)

ryker002

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
RE: Please stop!

You could just rate each one bad until they get rid of it 😃
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Please stop!

You have the option to hit "don't ask me again." Developers need to remind people to rate apps or people would never rate them.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site

From the dev's point of view....

We live and die by your ratings. If there are no ratings, there are no sales. And Apple, in its infinite wisdom, resets the ratings every time a new version comes out. So we have to bother you at least once per version. Most of us (devs) make sure that you get an option to dismiss permanently...but only until the next version.

There is no way to perfectly time when the popup shows up either. On behalf of all devs - I apologize. But remember, our updated apps need updated ratings.

We love you!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Please stop!

You have the option to hit "don't ask me again." Developers need to remind people to rate apps or people would never rate them.

Rating an app is not a law and it is not mandatory. It is a courtesy and when developers start demanding or pestering users to rate their apps, it will negatively impact them and their app eventually. Word of mouth is still a sure way to gain customers.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site

Rating an app is not a law and it is not mandatory. It is a courtesy and when developers start demanding or pestering users to rate their apps, it will negatively impact them and their app eventually. Word of mouth is still a sure way to gain customers.

Couldn't agree more, especially for paid apps. Just as annoying to me are websites that constantly serve popups suggesting you download their app or Tapatalk. How many times do I have to say NO??

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Please stop!

Couldn't agree more, especially for paid apps. Just as annoying to me are websites that constantly serve popups suggesting you download their app or Tapatalk. How many times do I have to say NO??

The website popups that come up for apps at the top of the screen are provided by Apple. That's not the developers.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Please stop!

Exactly!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Please stop!

From the dev's point of view....

We live and die by your ratings. If there are no ratings, there are no sales. And Apple, in its infinite wisdom, resets the ratings every time a new version comes out. So we have to bother you at least once per version. Most of us (devs) make sure that you get an option to dismiss permanently...but only until the next version.

There is no way to perfectly time when the popup shows up either. On behalf of all devs - I apologize. But remember, our updated apps need updated ratings.

We love you!

Alli, I understand. I really do, but I simply don't like it. I buy apps because I want them to help me with my needs and I expect devs to be grateful for my business. How many times have we read of people being ticked off at devs who, for whatever reason, failed to respond to email messages about a product of theirs? Yet, those same ignored customers are expected to not ignore prompts to rate their apps. It's bad enough that advertisers are blatantly ignoring our right to choose, we don't need it from software developers, too. When someone states that police have a dangerous job, someone else will always say, "So. They chose that job". Well, the same can be said in regard to devs who say, "we live and die by your ratings". Why can't my purchase of the app be enough? Did my purchase not help you put food on your table? Anyway, I apologize for my rant....:).....it's been one of those days.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site

The website popups that come up for apps at the top of the screen are provided by Apple. That's not the developers.

The banner I can deal with; I'm talking about the forums that use this style of popup:

image.jpg

It pops up EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Please stop!

Why can't your purchase simply be enough? Because one customer does not pay the bills.

Seriously.

We are talking about software that you pay less than $5 typically - and often software you get for free.

What makes this work financially is volume.

Without ratings, sales don't happen. Without sales, your developer cannot afford to support or enhance the product, and it will simply die.

So no, to put it bluntly, your purchase alone is not enough.

We recently signed a contract for $65k for development of an iOS app. It will retail for $1.99. Do the math on what sales need to be before this app even breaks even. Your reviews stimulate sales and help the developer survive.

Is it really that much to ask?

We include a "don't ask me again" button and remember this forever, but we also include a "rate us" link in our about page - that virtually NEVER gets used. The percentage of users who DO use the Rate Us link in the popup is quite high, over 50%, and we do believe its the best way to get ratings.

I agree you need to be smart in presenting this popup, and support both a Later and Never option.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234