Please stop! - App Review pop up

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Please stop!

I'm sorry. Company policy does not allow for employees to identify our apps outside of the official company accounts doing announcements and promotions.

Are you saying that you are not allowed to name any apps made by your company?

Rodville

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Please stop!

My guess is that
1. Naming the apps will open him up to support requests outside the "support structure" meaning that he will get PM'd to death with "my app doesn't work right" people.

2. There might be legal repercussions if he let slip any details of the apps he has a hand in.

3. And if you ever have worked in retail you know once the customers know where you work they will never leave you alone. (I worked for a popular supermarket chain for 20 years. Customers would come to me with problems they had when I was out of work shopping in other stores. They never left me alone. )

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Please stop!

That is correct. None of us are allowed to identify the company or the apps we create. Past issues have resulted in this policy and only official company forum accounts may identify apps or provide support. We do have a presence on most forums, though it's only one small part of our marketing strategy. Paid, targeted ads are our highest return.

It's ok. I'm not posting to prop up our apps, I'm here to simply provide general help to the iOS community from a different perspective.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Please stop!

My guess is that
1. Naming the apps will open him up to support requests outside the "support structure" meaning that he will get PM'd to death with "my app doesn't work right" people.
Maybe, but he could easily direct inquiries to the proper company channels. I don't see a problem with identifying apps. Heck, how are customers suppose to be able to help devs or their companies if we don't even know what products they sell?

2. There might be legal repercussions if he let slip any details of the apps he has a hand in.
I'm sure the OP was seeking information about his/company's apps that are already in the App Store.

3. And if you ever have worked in retail you know once the customers know where you work they will never leave you alone. (I worked for a popular supermarket chain for 20 years. Customers would come to me with problems they had when I was out of work shopping in other stores. They never left me alone. )
That may or may not apply in this regard. Anyway, I understand what you're saying though. Thanks. :)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Please stop!

That is correct. None of us are allowed to identify the company or the apps we create. Past issues have resulted in this policy and only official company forum accounts may identify apps or provide support. We do have a presence on most forums, though it's only one small part of our marketing strategy. Paid, targeted ads are our highest return.

It's ok. I'm not posting to prop up our apps, I'm here to simply provide general help to the iOS community from a different perspective.

Thank you, Tim...:)

dowdyrich

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Please stop!

Clearly many of us have a problem with apps that pester the user, and I am no exception to that.

My apps put up a review request once. You can press the Review, Later, Never buttons and we will respect your choice.

I have no problem with that process. I think the OP was referring to some of your peers who don't have that same respect for the customer. As long as the app gives me time to actually use it before asking me, and once I say no or later, it stops bugging me; I have no issue with 'politely' asking for a review.

I may have misunderstood some of your earlier replies. It kinda seemed as if you were defending some of the other developers with a different mindset. I do think the app experience has more to do with the willingness to leave a review, than the suggestion to do so. But I am sure that is a personal thing, and on a global scale the suggestion may work due to the tendency for people to respond on impulse.

From what you and Alli say about the analytics, it would seem that Apple should provide you(developers) with more details, so that you can use it effectively. But that kinda leans to the idea that reviews aren't intended to help developers as much as the customer.

**-- I completely understand your company making sure there is a clear presence, and not wanting it muddled. What if Tim (not saying this would happen) made some crazy comments somewhere that offended a bunch of people. And he was known as been a part of Company ABC with App XYZ; this could affect the company's image greatly.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Re: Please stop!

This is better than any review, as I actually clicked to see what WreakingHavoc thought was a good app. One that I would have never found by looking at App Store suggestions -- number 99 under Productivity -> Paid (Top Charts). Not normally one to scroll through that many different apps.

Side note -- I will be looking on the internet to see if it is something I think I could use :) From the website (quick glance) it does look to be well worth the 9.99 price tag!

Let me know if you decide to get it. Support is never further than...me. :)

jakeless.123

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Please stop!

I don't think it's wrong for a dev to ask people to rate their app.

Having said that, I do agree with you in regards to devs who abuse it, and constantly send you a barrage of notifications or popups telling you to rate the app. I don't agree with that. I think that is the equivalent of harassment, and will promptly invoke my finger to delete the harassing app.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW