Tapatalk 2 App

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Now that Phreddyl & jclisenby have confirmed that the 99 cent price was an introductory price, do I think it is worth the current $3.99 price? No, I do not. $1.99 - $2.99 tops, in my opinion.

I agree. Only way to justify the $3.99 is if it's universal to the iPad. So far though its only for iPhone.

Well, I was just about to go grab it but I think I'll pass for now.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Looks cool but no iPad support yet and 3.99 think ill pass

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Man was totally bummed when I saw the price went up after one day 😭 would have thought an introductory price would have lasted a little longer than one day maybe two.

Beamed from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

getdamned

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I can relate to the disappointment of the others in that despite my very clear disapproval of making this a separate app (TBD if the difference is so profound that this couldn't have been considered an update/overhaul of the original v1)-- but my point is this:

Even with the indignation of having to she'll out more cash for an app I'd already paid for; at 99?, I would have humored the developer. For 99? I can see a justification if the app is that much better, but by time my confusion subsided (I had been waiting for an AppStore update and was looking up the original in the AppStore the whole time); like so many others I missed the brief 99? intro price that I would have given into.

IMO, they need to bring this back again for a day or two because it deals with a fundamental principle in economics-- reduction in profit margin per unit lends to increase in units sold; the opposite is also true.

For practical example, view how Blurays were first introduced (actually for years) to the market. They were ~$30 a piece and sales were few.

If we consider their cost to market is $5 per disc, they're working a 500% profit margin. Ok, but when they finally realized (these are professional marketers?) that if they took a pretty massive hit by reducing their profit margin from 500% ($30 movies) to a more reasonable 100% mark-up ($10 movies)-- what happened?

While they were selling say, 5 copies for every movie at $30; when they reduced that same Bluray's cost to $10-- sales soared.

They were selling on a far thinner profit margin, but this hit taken in margin was greatly overshadowed by the increased demand and amount of units sold!

Common sense to some; a mystery to others-- fact is, for every 5 copies they sold at $30, they sold 50 copies at $10.

It takes no genius to figure that, if given the overhead/cost is $5 per disc, the formula so goes:

(units sold * retail price) - (units sold * cost to market) = net profit

(5 * $30) - $25 = $150 - $25 = $125

(50 * $10) - $250 = $500 - $250 = $250

Now granted this is a very rudimentary and simplified demonstration of the principle; the fact to realize is by reducing profit per disc from $25 to a mere $5-- one's first inclination might be disastrous profit loss.

But in reducing this margin, consumer cost was drastically reduced, and thus demand and sales, conversely skyrocketed, boosting sales by 10x; and the end effect?

By cutting their profit margin to just 1/5 of the original, they increased units sold tenfold-- and the end result was DOUBLED PROFITS, DESPITE SHAVING PROFIT MARGIN TO 20% of the initial figure.

Price reduction increases sales volume and 9x out of 10, the resulting sales/profits overshadow any would-be loss by trimming profit margins.

This same principle applies directly here. If the app were offered at $1 instead of $4, how many extra sales would result?

How many people will not purchase this at $4, but would purchase it at $1?

I bet the numbers are significant enough to create the economic effect I just detailed, and would profit the developer greater than by simply leaving the price fixed at $4.

That also taps into the impulse buy phenomenon. You're far more likely to purchase a movie at $10 vs. $30, even if it's a movie you want to buy. $30 is often just a bit much.

But you will end up purchasing movies you had no intention of buying until you saw they were on sale for $10! You may not have even really liked the series, but you're bringing home "Beverly Hills Cop 6" because it was on clearance for $4.99! What a deal!

An impulse buy you made based not on need or want, but simply based on the perceived value/deal.

Same is true of apps. While $9.99 seems to be the "sweet spot" to get consumers to buy movies they wouldn't otherwise buy; so seems the 99? price point for apps. I'll buy an app for 99? without great torment or lengthy consideration. The same doesn't apply for apps $2.99, $3.99, $4.99+. I will take time to consider if it's really worth the money in these cases; deciding at least half the time, the answer is "no".

Developers need to be wise and take these phenomena into consideration if they want to maximize profitability. I think most are scared to take the risk? but without greater risk, there is no greater reward.

Reduce the price to 99? again and I'll pay your "upgrade fee" without an incredible fight. At $3.99? Not a chance; I went years without using v1-- I can live without v2 if need be.

jakeless.123

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Wishing I could've gotten in on the 99 cent deal! Oh well, I am still pleased with my purchase. I've only used it for a few minutes, but so far, I like what I see. I don't mind helping these devs.

getdamned

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
One shortcoming of this app is just inherent to circumstance. You will never see forums like Apple's Community, Microsoft Technet or MSDN boards; or any large/commercial forums show up in Tapatalk due to the sheer implications in implementation and the inherent risk of introducing third-party proprietary code into a forum with such masses of content and users.

You introduce the possibility of buggy code that could result in downtime/crashes; you open the door for additional potential exploits, then there's the increases workload introduced by the necessity of testing the integration prior to release into a production environment... as well as any additional maintenance that may be required to maintain this integration.

It's too much work, it's too risky to security and stability, and is just not going to be integrated to please a considerably niche group of users of the app (versus those users who do not).

So there's an inherent handicap by principle and circumstance.

Even some medium-sized, though well-known boards that I'd love to see in the Tapatalk list-- I'll most surely never seen; Hydrogen Audio Forums being a prime candidate.

So by inherent limitations, participating forums are largely going to be made up of smaller, hobbyist forums rather than more professional, robust ones.

And this is the reason why Tapatalk is of limited value to me. I have like 3-4 forums in it that I occasionally use when I'm bored. For most of the forums I participate in and read regularly, I've gotta go elsewhere.

Anyone know any exceptions to this general rule? I think the most well known ones I saw were maybe tomshardware or overclockers?

Any good ones I'm missing/overlooking? I'd love to use the app more, but if the boards that I use regularly aren't supported-- that is defeated.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, I was just about to go grab it but I think I'll pass for now.

I am very pleased with the new Tapatalk 2 app and I'm glad I purchased it when I did. Having said that, don't let my opinion of it in regard to its $3.99 price keep you from purchasing it. You may find that the app is worth the asking price. I still think that the app should be "no more than" $2.99. They'd make a killing if it were $1.99, in my opinion, but that's Just Me, D....:D

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I just downloaded it and it is REALLY nice with all the swiping etc. if you access the forums a good bit I think it's worth the 4 bucks

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Nope, read my review the best you can do is copy one post and quote another, I'm still waiting on multi quote as well.

Weird that tapatalk 2 on android allows multi quote but not the ios version... I'm deciding if I want to download it or not. I still switch back and forth from my gs3 to my iphone so I keep my apps up to date on both.

I had to get the red SGS3...garnet is my birthstone! Excuses sent via Tapatalk 2

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Weird that tapatalk 2 on android allows multi quote but not the ios version... I'm deciding if I want to download it or not. I still switch back and forth from my gs3 to my iphone so I keep my apps up to date on both.

I had to get the red SGS3...garnet is my birthstone! Excuses sent via Tapatalk 2

That's lame that the Android version would have more functionality then the iOS version usually it's the other way around.

Beamed from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Well I downloaded it. I'm on my iPhone while my Ishieldz dries on my gs3. I really like the interface, it's very clean. I'd like to see a dark interface though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR