Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Default Setting up a contact group

Hey all,

I want to set up a contact group on my iPhone. Being a former BlackBerry user, I find it absurd that you can't to this with the native contact app. I do not want to, nor am I able to, set up the group using the iTunes/Outlook sync method since the computer that my iTunes is on does not have Outlook. I just want to be able to set up a group on my phone that I can send a text to.

I downloaded GroupMe, but when I go to add contacts into the group, it shows their facebook email and not their phone number. I cannot figure out how to make this change to just the phone number. Plus it wants to send them a message that I've added them to a group, which is something I do not want to do. If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know.

I looked at some other apps, but they require you to disable MMS, which is also something I don't want to do. I want to be able to MMS (photos) to the recipients if need be.

I could just never delete the text that I send to the group after the first time I send it out, but this seems like a crappy workaround. And I'm worried that I might lose somebody from the group if somebody happens to not reply all in a response.

So, does anybody have a solution? I'd prefer it to be a free app/method, especially since this is something that should be native, but I will pay for a QUALITY app if need be.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Default Re: Setting up a contact group

If your contacts are stored in iCloud, you can go to iCloud.com from any computer and set up groups there.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Ok. So I set up a group using iCloud. Now how do I send a text to that group?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

You would need a group texting app.

Check this out, found it in another post in the apps forum:
    Last edited by Alli; 01-11-2013 at 02:48 PM.