Tried out Google Maps Turn by Turn today

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Tried out Google maps turn by turn today and the only thing I liked about it was the the voice itself.

The trip I took today was one I usually take and use Apple maps just for the ETA or if I have to make a detour. First off Google turn by turn doesn't seem to have a ETA or maybe I couldn't find it. It lets you know time left in the drive but I don't want to make calculations while driving although simple calculations. I like to know when I may arrive based on my speed.

Google maps gave me a more direct route home from my trip but through roads that are heavy with traffic so I got home later than if I would have taken the Apple map route which is less direct but much less traffic.

I thought it would be wildly better than Apple Maps and Apple turn by turn but in my opinion it's not. The only thing that's better in Google Maps turn by Turn is the voice which is pleasant. The SIRI voice can be a little irritating on a long drive.

For those that need the public transportation info and street view it's plus but for driving it's ok but not whipping Apple turn by turn by any means.

I've never got lost or got bad directions from Apple Maps. I recently used Apple Maps for a drive that I take a few times a week and thought it was giving me the run around when it actually was taking me to a intersection where if you drive the limit the light is always green and you avoid the dirty end of a 5 way intersection. I'll try Google on this trip and see what I get.

afazel

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
I haven't used Google Maps for iOS yet, however on Android you have the option to take the most direct route or a route with less traffic. Check the settings for the app if there are any.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
used it all day today and it is starting to grow on me but the deal breaker is the No map on the lockscreen

guess the native mapping system has spoiled me

leathernuts#WP

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Before giving a review one should know the app before making assumptions. With that said, I tested both today. I do love the lock screen display on the iOS maps, however tonight it wanted me to go about 1 mile past my destination on the left and make a U turn. Google said I was there when I was at the intersection and still needed to drive about another 500 feet and turn left into the parking lot. So neither we're dead on. Obviously iOS maps ties in nice with Siri. And as already stated, the voice is way better on google. I think iOS is improving and google is still too early to make a final decision. For now ill keep using both.

golden99

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm coming from a different direction...from a Garmin dedicated GPS unit to Google Maps on my iPhone. GM works well enough, but isn't nearly as intuitive to use. It takes a lot more tapping to get going and making route changes or additions requires starting from scratch...which is something I can do easily with my Garmin, but not something I'd want to do with Google Maps while driving. Considering my Garmin's specs are considerably less than my iPhone's I was hoping for a smoother or at least comparable user experience. I did like the voice and my iPhone knows my location almost instantly whereas my Garmin can take as much as 15 seconds or so to lock in. My iPhone's battery life is much better as well.

Overall my Garmin still beats both Google and Apple Maps to get me from point A to point B and/or C. Maybe not an apples-to-apples comparison, but ideally (perhaps if Apple acquires Tom Tom?) they'll catch up one of these days.

sonar_chris

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
My complaints about Google maps are pretty limited so far, but the major ones are that it doesn't have access to my contacts to be able to search for someones name and have it look through my contact list too, no night time screen for driving at night. My phone has the bug that when I use the Apple maps, my notification sounds get really quiet, so with Google maps it doesn't. It would be nice if Apple gave us the option to make google maps the default mapping app, but that will never happen.

anon(3733516)

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I used Google Maps last night and it actually took me a very obscure route, almost getting me lost. Had to revert back to Apple Maps to get me home >.>

Lodingi

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I used GM tonight and was surprised there isn't a night mode. I found this very distracting. No Apple Maps for me as I am on Jail break iOS 5.1.1. I'm sticking with Waze for now.

davidg4781

Jan 11, 2006
Visit site
I tried it driving around and through Austin the other day. I was right near the new toll road (SH 130 I think??) and Apple Maps couldn't see it at all. Kept telling me I was driving through the grass. I was getting on the toll road to try it out and figured I'd give Google Maps a go so I wouldn't get lost. It knew where everything was and I had no problems getting around.

As far as liking it, I don't really like the "finish" of it, but I think I'll keep it for just in case things. I'd like to see Apple do great with theirs but with Google's Maps on desktops, I think that makes it a lot easier for people to use. For me, I use that for home use or if I need to show anyone something and I'll use Apple's when I'm on the road. I would much rather use the same for both.

briankeith513

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Google Maps has been great to me so far. Its been especially good, considering that this is the first version for iOS. I still do like Apple Maps though. The major differences is that Google Maps seems to be more accurate for directions...at least for most people that I've noticed, and myself. Also, Google Maps has better search.

kalpain

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
One thing that Google Maps does great is the rerouting. I purposely missed the exit on the way home (I purposely gave it directions to a movie theater near my house) because house was actually of the exit coming up. After I passed the exit Google Maps seamlessly moved the green line for my route forward and continued giving me directions as though I had never veered off course. No obnoxious rerouting notification or popup screen showing me that it was rerouting. It just kept on going with out missing a beat. Now if they add music controls, address book integration (through gmail or directly on the phone) and faster routes based on traffic data (Motion X GPS seems to be the one to beat in this area) it could be my main navigation app. I personally didn't care for the voice but I could probably get used to it...

Junius8

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Google Maps has been okay, pleasent voice but the only downside to it that you cannot get directions on the lockscreen as the Apple Maps. Truth be told Apple Maps got me lost one time but all in all its more so preference of which app is intuitive towards you. Furthermore Google Maps is still in Beta form and gets the job done.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I agree that it's good, but not better. Google Maps has a much broader database but Apple Maps has a much better experience. I'm probably sticking with Google just for the broad POI and searching. But when I use Siri for search ill be using Apple maps, happily.

Exxod

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Google Maps' TurnbyTurn isn't as good as Apple's. I hate the voice; and it doesn't allow simultaneous music playing.

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
My Navigation app/device Comparison

Since the title says "turn by turn" my comments are only about navigation not walking, transit, or just the plain map viewing function of any program. These are my thoughts, on the nav programs i use, plus i compared it to my old non phone gps device, a Garmin Nuvi 200, that i used before i had a smartphone and often still. One word, my thoughts are based on my needs and my experience. I don't claim my opinion is the only one. They simply reflect my experience, needs and personal preferences, and mine alone.

iOS Apple Maps
Pros:
  • Looks nice. It has that apple “sheen" to the interface that i love in Apple apps.
  • Siri connected, thus easy to search by voice. great for safe hands free route plotting.

Cons
  • Drains an entire phone battery in 45 minutes. A major issue as I arrive with a dead phone and it's not good for long drives without a car charger (which i don't have yet since i never needed one.) Note: tested the other options and i don't get nearly the battery drain.
  • Maps are inaccurate in some places. My brother’s new house does not show up at all on the map. And I mean it’s literally not even in the image. The satellite image was clearly taken a while ago as they show an empty dirt field. Other maps show it fine. His address, when entered, does plot a point but it's still the wrong road.
  • Plots strange illogical routes. Like needlessly getting on freeways for just one very short exit. You don’t get on the 405 just to go one very short exit. (You can select alternates though so that's nice but it defaults to some strange ones).
  • Very little range of zooming with map in and out while in navigation.
  • Minimalistic controls are annoying. I’d prefer just have buttons at the bottom like, say the app store or music player or Safari etc.
  • In landscape mode the green direction sign blocks too much of the screen making it hard to recognize at a glance at high speed.
  • Angle of the view while traveling is too high and zoomed out. Much more so then what i'm used to on my Garmin. Makes it harder to see turns coming. some may like that or it may be no big deal. I'm not a fan of it.
  • Sometimes doesn’t tell me what side a destination is. example: "Arriving at destination on right." then you miss you're destination cause you're in wrong lane and can't get over.

Google Maps
Pros
  • Most Accurate maps.
  • better, more direct routes.
  • Map layout doesn’t have green sign intruding on image. map not overly obstructed in landscape
  • Great voice
  • Google maps clearly shows my brothers home on it not an empty field.

Cons
  • Not hooked into contacts
  • Minimalistic interface annoyances. I just find the layout less than intuitive.
  • Not connected to siri so no easy voice course plotting. Hope they at least add voice search like i google search.
  • Never been a big fan of the Android look “finish” as someone above put it. It’s too utilitarian for me. I do like style. I like the "sheen" and gloss of ios. It’s not bad. It's no doubt improved since early Android but I’m just meh on it.

Garmin Nuvi 200 (my old standalone device)
Pros
  • Accurate maps,
  • Much longer battery life.
  • Voice directions are very detailed, tell you the sided of the street.
  • Tons of features and options. It's basically the "Around Me " app inside my gps. Well minus the reviews. But you can easily find gas, grocery, and other points of interest near you.
  • voice directions are detailed, an helpful. There are some strange streets, merges here. And it handles those well. Not just saying Exit No. 5 right but when directions need to come fast it will say take Exit No. 5, then stay to the left and take highway 101 north. it says that well before you need to know it. Many of the other options say take No. 5 exit right, but then don't tell you to get in the left lane until it's too late.

Cons
  • Must manually enter addresses. That’s cumbersome
  • Old touchscreen sucks. It's not exactly responsive.

Waze
Pros
  • Accurate maps, crowd sourced info
  • Easily Zoomable 3D maps
  • Connected to contacts but you have to type the name then it will find it. I’d kinda like the option to just browse for the name because that was my first instinct.
  • Most features of all, from coffee, gas, traffic, night mode, shows cops, hazards, cameras, hooked into social networks (don’t know why). Will track progress of facebook friends if you give it access, which I don’t.
  • Fully customizable, colors of maps, navigation routes, sounds, vehicles, preferred gas stations, voice commands, auto route learning,

Cons
  • No voice plotting of navigation, like with siri
  • Not the prettiest. Looks like the stole the maps from my old Garmin. But like the Garmin it’s very functional.

My Ranking

1. Waze – Simply best combo of, features, accuracy, and usability
  2. Google Maps – 2nd for its accuracy, and usability, more direct routing.
  3. Garmin Nuvi 200 – for its accuracy/reliability
  4. iOS - looks pretty & siri is nice, but last do to map inaccuracy, battery drain,

Final thought, though, Waze is still ranked best for my needs, I still tend to use my Garmin often to save phone battery and because i use it for music in my car I can get annoyed when nav programs interrupt too much stopping an audiobook or music. With audiobooks & podcast it means you you miss lots of info and have to rewind often. Thus my phone is relegated to using for short distances when I'm too impatient to go through the pain of entering an address into my Garmin.​

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Google Maps... it doesn't allow simultaneous music playing.

I noticed that. Sucks!

Do you guys mean that Google maps can't play music while it's navigating to a destination?

If so, i had no problem playing music while navigating. It worked exactly the same as apple maps does. I was able to use the music player and play a podcast with downcast all while navigating with Google Maps. And just like with Apple's maps the volume lowers for Navigation voice to speak then it goes back up automatically.

anon(3733516)

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Do you guys mean that Google maps can't play music while it's navigating to a destination?

If so, i had no problem playing music while navigating. It worked exactly the same as apple maps does. I was able to use the music player and play a podcast with downcast all while navigating with Google Maps. And just like with Apple's maps the volume lowers for Navigation voice to speak then it goes back up automatically.

Odd... When I was playing music it would freeze up and stop the music. Sometimes even freeze up google maps.