Google Maps for IOS releasing tonight?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Oh okay. I know that there are a couple of high school football championship games on tomorrow afternoon and a couple of college games tomorrow night..One being Georgia Southern vs North Dakota State on ESPN2 at 8 P.M.. The first of the bowl games start Saturday.

YEP and I will be watching the college games when I get home from work about 4:30pm EST. so I know YOU and where you will be buddy ....;)

toomanyphones

Oct 14, 2008
Visit site
As anyone tested to see how much data the app uses? I am sure it would be more in the city. I didn't see a way to save maps which would be helpful when traveling out of country.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm just we now have this as an option. Fills an important. Especially for folks outside the US I'm sure.

Used it a bit. Clean interface. Decently fast. Using it now as my main mapping until Apple's maps app improves.

Jrome.brooks

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
My car broke down and thank god I have google maps gave me the exact bus location to get to work on time actually it's faster than my car I wonder why apple doesn't do bus routes how stuck up is apple ??

Tapatalking up in ya

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
My car broke down and thank god I have google maps gave me the exact bus location to get to work on time actually it's faster than my car I wonder why apple doesn't do bus routes how stuck up is apple ??

Why doesn't that transit company provide their users with an app that they can have full control over, and serve their customers? Why does some other entity have to do that for them?

nj1266

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I used the new google maps. One HUGE issue is that it cannot access my contacts. Even my google contacts are not accessed after I sign into google. That issue makes me not want to use it. Besides the native Apple maps has not led to a wrong address or location. It has been good for me.

Sent from my iPhone 7

wwlad

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
On my iPhone 4s, I have Apple maps, NavFree and now Google maps. Of the 3 Google seems to work better in my area (Sydney northern beaches), provided there is cellular coverage. (Navfree is for when there is no coverage.)

Initially I thought Google had no voice turn-by-turn guidance, but it turned out to be a problem with the car radio bluetooth connection (still not working). It works fine walking or on my bicycle. Although I have no accurate data usage yet, it seems fairly frugal.

I hope Apple fixes it's problem with maps soon. Being native to IOS it should work really well.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Google Maps has been working flawlessly. No more worrying about bring taken to the wrong location.

Gotta give credit where credit is due.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I just found out google maps for iPhone lets you swipe to the right to see different search items and will tell you how far they are away via transit. (if your last directions were via transit) I can look for walmart for instance and it will find the one closest via transit, swipe to the right and see the next closest, via transit. this is huge. for those of us who use transit, a walmart 5 miles away could take longer to get to than one 10 miles away but on a direct bus route. google has blown apples maps and the other third party apps I've tried) out of the water for us transit users.
it also finds more stuff. I found several places for haircuts in walking distance via google maps. not so via apple.

I type this on my iMac, and love my iphone. I say this so nobody thinks I'm some apple hater.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I just found out google maps for iPhone lets you swipe to the right to see different search items and will tell you how far they are away via transit. (if your last directions were via transit) I can look for walmart for instance and it will find the one closest via transit, swipe to the right and see the next closest, via transit. this is huge. for those of us who use transit, a walmart 5 miles away could take longer to get to than one 10 miles away but on a direct bus route. google has blown apples maps and the other third party apps I've tried) out of the water for us transit users.
it also finds more stuff. I found several places for haircuts in walking distance via google maps. not so via apple.

I type this on my iMac, and love my iphone. I say this so nobody thinks I'm some apple hater.

When it comes to POI, Google is ahead in that department. Apples might look better when in navigation mode but Google actually gets me there. I agree with you, it's a great app. Just check the reviews from the 18,000+.

specialkd24

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I tried it for the first time today.

Mine currently has everything in kilometers and I can't find where to change this. Apple Maps has a setting under Settings, but I can't find one for Google Maps.

Any thoughts (I'm sure it is something simple)?

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site

Mine currently has everything in kilometers and I can't find where to change this. Apple Maps has a setting under Settings, but I can't find one for Google Maps.

That is weird. Are you in the US? Did it ask you during the initial setup? I don't remember if it did. Maybe uninstall and reinstall?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

Just looked for that setting... nowhere I could find it... one might think that such a 'superior app' as Google maps is supposed to be would make this easy and obvious as it is on any of several other apps I'm familiar with... oh well.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Never had any major issues with Apple maps but I downloaded the Google app the other day. Very nice and enjoy the voice turn by turn. Took me right to someone's front door yesterday.

specialkd24

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
That is weird. Are you in the US? Did it ask you during the initial setup? I don't remember if it did. Maybe uninstall and reinstall?

Yeah I'm in the US. I even deleted it and re-installed it and it is still in kilometers. I have a 4s on Sprint.

Very weird.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Is the region in Settings-General-International set for the United States. If not, that >might< be the culprit.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Just looked for that setting... nowhere I could find it... one might think that such a 'superior app' as Google maps is supposed to be would make this easy and obvious as it is on any of several other apps I'm familiar with... oh well.

I would say its a superior app for me. I've used it everyday to test it out and always finds more POI and has them accurately placed. Hasn't got me lost or sent way out of the way just to make a U-Turn. Apple Maps looks slightly better in Navi mode but that only goes so far when you end up in the wrong location. Google Maps will be my go-to for my cross country trip.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73