Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
Like Tree28Likes
    iPhone Intermediate

Default Re: Google Maps for IOS releasing tonight?

As anyone tested to see how much data the app uses? I am sure it would be more in the city. I didn't see a way to save maps which would be helpful when traveling out of country.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    373 Global Posts

Used it a lot today. It's okay. It needs a lot more ability to customize and really could use an automatic night mode.
    LCW
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,368 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Google Maps for IOS releasing tonight?

I'm just we now have this as an option. Fills an important. Especially for folks outside the US I'm sure.

Used it a bit. Clean interface. Decently fast. Using it now as my main mapping until Apple's maps app improves.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    875 Global Posts

My car broke down and thank god I have google maps gave me the exact bus location to get to work on time actually it's faster than my car I wonder why apple doesn't do bus routes how stuck up is apple ??

Tapatalking up in ya
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #130  

Global Posts
    12,176 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Jrome.brooks View Post
    My car broke down and thank god I have google maps gave me the exact bus location to get to work on time actually it's faster than my car I wonder why apple doesn't do bus routes how stuck up is apple ??
    Why doesn't that transit company provide their users with an app that they can have full control over, and serve their customers? Why does some other entity have to do that for them?
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone 6;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Karenkcoulter likes this.
    tgp
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,876 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarr40 View Post
    PS 'D Bengals-Eagles on Thursday night football on the NFL network. 10-0 Bengals.
    I was at the game; did you see me? I'm not an Eagles fan, so I enjoyed the game much more than my 2 friends I was with who are Eagles fans.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I used the new google maps. One HUGE issue is that it cannot access my contacts. Even my google contacts are not accessed after I sign into google. That issue makes me not want to use it. Besides the native Apple maps has not led to a wrong address or location. It has been good for me.

Sent from my iPhone 7
    iMore Nanite

iOS Version

On my iPhone 4s, I have Apple maps, NavFree and now Google maps. Of the 3 Google seems to work better in my area (Sydney northern beaches), provided there is cellular coverage. (Navfree is for when there is no coverage.)

Initially I thought Google had no voice turn-by-turn guidance, but it turned out to be a problem with the car radio bluetooth connection (still not working). It works fine walking or on my bicycle. Although I have no accurate data usage yet, it seems fairly frugal.

I hope Apple fixes it's problem with maps soon. Being native to IOS it should work really well.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,061 Global Posts

Google Maps has been working flawlessly. No more worrying about bring taken to the wrong location.

Gotta give credit where credit is due.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wifey and I: 2 iPhone 5's (Black - Hers and White - Mine)
    Macbook Pro
    2nd Macbook Air
    New iPad in black 32GB wifi
    3rd Gen. iPod (Baby Lullaby Music)
    If I helped you - Please hit that little +REP button
    It looks like an old-school scale next to the report button
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    200 Global Posts

I just found out google maps for iPhone lets you swipe to the right to see different search items and will tell you how far they are away via transit. (if your last directions were via transit) I can look for walmart for instance and it will find the one closest via transit, swipe to the right and see the next closest, via transit. this is huge. for those of us who use transit, a walmart 5 miles away could take longer to get to than one 10 miles away but on a direct bus route. google has blown apples maps and the other third party apps I've tried) out of the water for us transit users.
    it also finds more stuff. I found several places for haircuts in walking distance via google maps. not so via apple.

I type this on my iMac, and love my iphone. I say this so nobody thinks I'm some apple hater.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,061 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Flud View Post
    I just found out google maps for iPhone lets you swipe to the right to see different search items and will tell you how far they are away via transit. (if your last directions were via transit) I can look for walmart for instance and it will find the one closest via transit, swipe to the right and see the next closest, via transit. this is huge. for those of us who use transit, a walmart 5 miles away could take longer to get to than one 10 miles away but on a direct bus route. google has blown apples maps and the other third party apps I've tried) out of the water for us transit users.
    it also finds more stuff. I found several places for haircuts in walking distance via google maps. not so via apple.

I type this on my iMac, and love my iphone. I say this so nobody thinks I'm some apple hater.
    When it comes to POI, Google is ahead in that department. Apples might look better when in navigation mode but Google actually gets me there. I agree with you, it's a great app. Just check the reviews from the 18,000+.

Macbook Pro
    2nd Macbook Air
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

I tried it for the first time today.

Mine currently has everything in kilometers and I can't find where to change this. Apple Maps has a setting under Settings, but I can't find one for Google Maps.

Any thoughts (I'm sure it is something simple)?
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,061 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by specialkd2424 View Post

Mine currently has everything in kilometers and I can't find where to change this. Apple Maps has a setting under Settings, but I can't find one for Google Maps.

That is weird. Are you in the US? Did it ask you during the initial setup? I don't remember if it did. Maybe uninstall and reinstall?

Macbook Pro
    2nd Macbook Air
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #139  

Global Posts
    12,176 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Just looked for that setting... nowhere I could find it... one might think that such a 'superior app' as Google maps is supposed to be would make this easy and obvious as it is on any of several other apps I'm familiar with... oh well.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone 6;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    846 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Never had any major issues with Apple maps but I downloaded the Google app the other day. Very nice and enjoy the voice turn by turn. Took me right to someone's front door yesterday.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gary86 View Post
    That is weird. Are you in the US? Did it ask you during the initial setup? I don't remember if it did. Maybe uninstall and reinstall?

Yeah I'm in the US. I even deleted it and re-installed it and it is still in kilometers. I have a 4s on Sprint.

Very weird.

Global Posts
    23,265 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Is the region in Settings-General-International set for the United States. If not, that >might< be the culprit.
    Thanked by:
    Gary86 (12-16-2012)
    Gary86 likes this.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,061 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    Just looked for that setting... nowhere I could find it... one might think that such a 'superior app' as Google maps is supposed to be would make this easy and obvious as it is on any of several other apps I'm familiar with... oh well.
    I would say its a superior app for me. I've used it everyday to test it out and always finds more POI and has them accurately placed. Hasn't got me lost or sent way out of the way just to make a U-Turn. Apple Maps looks slightly better in Navi mode but that only goes so far when you end up in the wrong location. Google Maps will be my go-to for my cross country trip.

Macbook Pro
    2nd Macbook Air
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Is the region in Settings-General-International set for the United States. If not, that >might< be the culprit.
    That was it. That is one of those settings I've never even looked at, just left it at the default from when I got the phone.

Thanks.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,061 Global Posts

That was it. That is one of those settings I've never even looked at, just left it at the default from when I got the phone.

Thanks.
    Glad you got it figured out.

Macbook Pro
    2nd Macbook Air

Global Posts
    23,265 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Thanks.
    I'm glad I was able to help. Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend...
    iPhone Newbie

Played around with it on my wife's iphone 5 and I like how google is doing with their maps in design department especially the turn by turn. Perhaps we'll see the design language going to android in the immediate future.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I found a way to use google maps through Siri. Just state the contact you want to navigate to and add "via transit" at the end of the sentence. You will then get a choice of the navigation app to use. Choose the google app and that is it. With this great trick you can use your contacts with google maps. Give it a try!!!

Sent from my iPhone 7
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by nj1266 View Post
    I found a way to use google maps through Siri. Just state the contact you want to navigate to and add "via transit" at the end of the sentence. You will then get a choice of the navigation app to use. Choose the google app and that is it. With this great trick you can use your contacts with google maps. Give it a try!!!

Sent from my iPhone 7
    I did this also and it works well. The only thing is, and this may not be a big deal, but when you do it that way it opens the Apple maps app as well in the background, so this may be an unnecessary battery drain to have both tracking your location.
    If you use Siri to open google maps then go and close Apple maps it kind of defeats the purpose. I like Apple, but they are going to make sure third part apps aren't fully integrated.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456