Event Tracking/Gift Giving App

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone!

Rene's recent article on "Gift Giving" apps has me intrigued... Does anyone know of an app that allows me to import contacts into the app and use them to track gifts or other events (for example: important contacts into a list of who I need to send a Christmas card to)?

I'm not really set on a "Gift Giving" app, I just need something that would allow me to track gifts and events. Any suggestions are welcome!! Thanks!!

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
ILive, did you wind up dwlding any one of them? I'm actually considering getting GiftPlan for the $1.99. I'm just curious if you did get one(which one) and what your thoughts were on it before I purchased one:)

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Pink, I haven't had a chance to read the article again yet (got assigned a last minute paper - ugh)! I did download Gifts HD 2 since it was free. It seems ok, but I really haven't had time to figure it out yet.

Surprisingly, I'm trying to find some info on Bento. It seems like it might be able to handle the gift lists, Christmas card lists and a lot more. I might start a separate thread here to see if anyone has used it.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
ok thanks! Well just so you know the free one you dwld, Gifts HD2, I read that once you get to 6 gifts it then says you need to go premium to add more and it also costs $1.99.

As for Bento, I'm going to look at that in the mean time as well. Thx for the mention, and if I dwld it I'll LYK how it is on first impressions!

Pink-a-licious 4S doin' the TapAtalk !!

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
ILive just a little update. I didn't get a chance to check out Bento, but finally earlier this evening I decided to dwld GiftHD2 free. I went in and created an acct, then proceeded to add 2 people. I did not import my contacts, I just typed in the individual names. Entered in my info blah blah blah. I then exited out to reply to a text, and when I went back in the screen stayed white-i had to exit out, open the bottom tray and hold/wiggle/close the app out. when i went back in again the info for the 2 people I entered was gone:( at one point the screen did freeze on me while I was entering in info for my 2nd person too. I gave up after a couple more tries, got back in signed out, and deleted it.

I did read in quite a few reviews that people were having the crash issue and info being wiped out also. I *might* dwld it tomorrow and try again....idk. Now I'm kinda skeptical about that one.

I think I'm going to look at GiftPlan next ($2.99? I think)

Did you get a chance to do anything with the app today at all? If so, I'm wondering did you have similar issues I did, along with the others i read about in the reviews.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Pink - I tried importing some contacts from my address book and had ZERO luck with it! I couldn't get anyone to import. I am going to give it another try tomorrow but I'm thinking I'm going to have to look elsewhere for a gift tracking/list coordinating/database management solution. I think I'm going to hit up Ally's article again tomorrow (I have almost the entire day to myself)!!

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Pink - I tried importing some contacts from my address book and had ZERO luck with it! I couldn't get anyone to import. I am going to give it another try tomorrow but I'm thinking I'm going to have to look elsewhere for a gift tracking/list coordinating/database management solution. I think I'm going to hit up Ally's article again tomorrow (I have almost the entire day to myself)!!

Ok. I didn't try the import contacts feature at all.

What i did do for now, was use AnyList(free), created a list called "Christmas" and then created a category for each individual name, and as i added gifts - i chose the correct category (person) to put it under. Also, as each gift gets purchased i can cross it off, but it will still be visible under that persons list:) So far this seems to be working for me, as i don't really need the $ amount shown for budget. Plus AnyList is free - and creating an acct then installing it on your other iDevices and signing in will have all that info there as well, and you can add/edit with it showing the changes across all the devices.

I know its not a "gifting" app, but i realized last night that i don't need that much additional function the gifting apps add in. So i think this will work out for me pretty well:) I don't know how much detail you need for your lists, but maybe this can be an alternative.

and Woo Hoo !! for having the entire day to yourself:D

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok, update for anyone interested lol. I decided last night to purchase mGifts for its sale price of 99c, which is for a limited time. So far, I'm really liking the organization of it and is generally easy to navigate within the app once you get the hang of what goes where! The only thing I did not see was somewhere to import contacts that have bdays/anniversary, but I was ok with that. I added in just who i needed to be in the gifting app:) It also has icloud syncing as well!

well worth the 99c i'd say - catch it before it goes up:D