Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts

Default Maps URL opening Google, not the maps app

First, what I'm trying to do. I want to make a quick reference QR Code document to post where I can have my iPhone open up apps and automatically do something. Such as, when I arrive at home, I have a QR code for foursquare and it opens up the app and gets me to my location. I'd like to also setup some codes to automatically navigate to particular addresses.

I'm running into some issues with the maps side of things. Right now Waze isn't handling it well, so I'm sure that will get fixed in an update soon. The bigger thing is my experience with the Apple Maps.

So I've read the information posted by Apple for their URL scheme with the iphone here . It says that I should be able to put a QR Code for this and that it would give me driving directions from San Francisco to Cupertino.

Instead of opening the maps app on the phone it is opening up maps.google.com instead of maps.apple.com. I'm hoping to get something figured out on this. Thoughts?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,957 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Maps URL opening Google, not the maps app

That link opens in the Maps app for me. Are you on ios6?
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts

I have IOS 6.0.1. I've tested again, and decided that it would be beneficial to include the actual QR code that I'm using. I've tried on multiple apps and it all goes to the web version of google.

The URL that I put into qurify.com () to create is this: "http://maps.apple.com/maps?daddr=San+Francisco,+CA&saddr=cupertino"

Maps URL opening Google, not the maps app-qr-code-sf.jpg
    Last edited by GolpherZX; 11-19-2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Adding URLs to assist.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,957 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Ah, I see. It's true: shared map links redirect to Google unless it's an actual link tapped on an iOS 6 device--anything scanned by device or followed via desktop or non-iOS 6 devices will be redirected.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, I see. It's true: shared map links redirect to Google unless it's an actual link tapped on an iOS 6 device--anything scanned by device or followed via desktop or non-iOS 6 devices will be redirected.

http://www.redmondpie.com/shared-apple-maps-links-redirect-to-google-maps-on-desktops-other-smartphones-even-on-ios-6/

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/22/mapsception/
    Thanked by:
    GolpherZX (11-19-2012)
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts

That would be the case. Thanks for the reference.

- - - Updated - - -

That would be the case. Thanks for the reference.