Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ringfinger
  • 1 Post By Jonnny4
  • 1 Post By Jonnny4
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    674 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Please tell me I'm missing something and OS doesnt have a better txt to speech....

app than iOS! I used Drive Safel.y with OS and it stinks with iOS. I'd like to be able to have my txts read when they come in and I'm driving. Is there anything that can do speech to txt and read back or I have to look.

So glad to be in the iOS club now!

Global Posts
    7,046 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Default Please tell me I'm missing something and OS doesnt have a better txt to speech....

I think you can get Siri to read your messages.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    800 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Please tell me I'm missing something and OS doesnt have a better txt to speech....

How?

Global Posts
    2,769 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    How?
    Say "read message" or "read text" and once it reads it, it'll ask if you want to reply as well.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

Default Re: Please tell me I'm missing something and OS doesnt have a better txt to speech....

I understand this guys frustration. I "upgraded" from a crappy spec'd windows phone to this and it had built in "text to speech" where I never had to touch the phone. I am in my car a lot and this is a big feature I expected to be available on the latest version of Android and iOs but alas to get this function to work on the iPhone with Siri you still have to hit a button on the phone. As you can see in the video I have included you never have to hit a button, except of course to send the first text to yourself while testing the feature.

This is what I expect out of brand new operating systems if a 1.5 year old operating system can do it.

Global Posts
    11,891 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    How?
    Siri: The ultimate guide | iMore.com

And you don't have to touch the phone... a long press on the call button of a bluetooth headset will activate Siri...
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

I bet this does not work on all Bluetooth headsets and I still have to say it doesn't work when receiving a text like it does on the Windows Phone. I can attest to that because I have been testing on my cars built in Bluetooth for the last 3 days but to make sure I made an appointment at the genius bar to see if I am missing some thing. I can say that if I can't get this function working like it does on my Windows Phone I will have to go back to it.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,020 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I think it's totally valid to switch back if it's for a feature you can't live without. I'm sure some would simply say you should "get over it" or adapt to Apple's way, but if it's not what you need then it's not what you need.

On the other hand, I don't believe that just because one OS works a certain way, we should expect others to do the same. If that were the case we might never have had the iPhone at all.

Global Posts
    11,891 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnny4 View Post
    I bet this does not work on all Bluetooth headsets and I still have to say it doesn't work when receiving a text like it does on the Windows Phone. I can attest to that because I have been testing on my cars built in Bluetooth for the last 3 days but to make sure I made an appointment at the genius bar to see if I am missing some thing. I can say that if I can't get this function working like it does on my Windows Phone I will have to go back to it.
    It doesn't have to work on "all" bluetooth headsets... just the one you want to use... and it will, or not. All you can do is try... one can also activate Siri with a long press on the call button of a wired headphone/earbud set... And no one will fault you for going to a Windows phone if you can't make Siri do what you want it to... your choice...
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

I am not trying to make anyone adapt, I am just surprised in this day and age with so many accidents happening in cars because of texting while driving that this feature hasn't been fully implemented in the other 2 big operating systems.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    674 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm a very girly girl (Mama) but thank you!
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    674 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I would think it would be a standard feature!
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    674 Global Posts
    iOS Version

when you hear the txt ringtone then ask it to read it?