Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By JustMe'D
  • 2 Post By BLiNK
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Default iOS mail is not pushing, but Gmail app is, WTH?

Hey y'all. New iPhone user here (from many years on the BlackBerry). I'm trying to get push mail from a Gmail account using the stock iOS mail app. I can't seem to get it to work. Instead, I downloaded the Gmail app and it pushes perfectly. However, the stock iOS mail app is, well, prettier than the Gmail app and I'd rather use it IF it will work properly. What do I need to do to get the iOS app to push properly and still be able to easily move emails into their folders?

Global Posts
    22,952 Global Posts
    iOS Version

If you want push gmail via the default mail app, you will have to configure it via the Microsoft Exchange set up. Be sure to use m.google.com as the server.
    BLiNK and Jaguarr40 like this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,632 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

Default Re: iOS mail is not pushing, but Gmail app is, WTH?

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    If you want push gmail via the default mail app, you will have to configure it via the Microsoft Exchange set up. Be sure to use m.google.com as the server.
    this is my ONLY preference to use Gmail on the iPhone - contacts and calendars work seamlessly

http://www.cultofmac.com/133730/set-...phone-ios-tip/
    Jaguarr40 and JustMe'D like this.

Global Posts
    22,952 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    this is my ONLY preference to use Gmail on the iPhone - contacts and calendars work seamlessly

http://www.cultofmac.com/133730/set-...phone-ios-tip/
    'Nuf said, my friend and I'm sure the OP will appreciate to visual instructions...
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,250 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post

Set Up Gmail The Right Way And Have New Mail Pushed To Your iPhone [iOS Tip] | Cult of Mac
    I hate to burst a bubble but after reading your link Blink about setting up gmail as exchange I came to this:

If, after using your Gmail account for a day or so, you find new emails aren’t being pushed to your device, you may have push services disabled. To enable this, open up the Settings app on your iPhone and then tap the ‘Mail, Contacts, Calendars’ tab.
    Beneath your mail accounts, you’ll find the ‘Fetch New Data’ options. Tap on this and ensure the ‘Push’ toggle is turned on"

So my point is this: I have my gmail acct through my iPhone native email app set up the normal way NOT through exchange with "PUSH" turned on and get push email all the time. So what is the difference. i see none and have never had a problem. Just saying my 2 friends....
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

Global Posts
    15,818 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

I have the same setup and I have never had to re toggle anything for Push.
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com

iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,023 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarr40 View Post
    I hate to burst a bubble but after reading your link Blink about setting up gmail as exchange I came to this:

If, after using your Gmail account for a day or so, you find new emails aren’t being pushed to your device, you may have push services disabled. To enable this, open up the Settings app on your iPhone and then tap the ‘Mail, Contacts, Calendars’ tab.
    Beneath your mail accounts, you’ll find the ‘Fetch New Data’ options. Tap on this and ensure the ‘Push’ toggle is turned on"

So my point is this: I have my gmail acct through my iPhone native email app set up the normal way NOT through exchange with "PUSH" turned on and get push email all the time. So what is the difference. i see none and have never had a problem. Just saying my 2 friends....
    Quote Originally Posted by John Yester View Post
    Are you guys totally sure about that? Or is it possible it's just fetching every 15 minutes, which is often enough that it feels like you're getting emails pushed? Look at these two mail setups from my phone: on the left is a Gmail account I have set up via Exchange; on the right is a Gmail account set up with the regular Gmail option. It certainly looks like only the Exchange setup gives you actual push--even though the other setup will allow new email to appear on your device without opening the mail app, which is not the same thing.

iOS mail is not pushing, but Gmail app is, WTH?-photo-1.jpg
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,250 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8.1

John
    What setup do you have? The one I have or the setup through Exchange?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    Are you guys totally sure about that? Or is it possible it's just fetching every 15 minutes, which is often enough that it feels like you're getting emails pushed? Look at these two mail setups from my phone: on the left is a Gmail account I have set up via Exchange; on the right is a Gmail account set up with the regular Gmail option. It certainly looks like only the Exchange setup gives you actual push--even though the other setup will allow new email to appear on your device without opening the mail app, which is not the same thing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	22890
    Massie,
    I have mine setup as i mentioned as the one on the right and I have push and fetch shut i have to actually open the app in order for it to check my email having it setup that way. It will not check mail automatically that way. At least not on mine unless I need Fetch on which I don't.
    ~JAG~

Global Posts
    22,952 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Massive is right and, as stated earlier by both Blink and me, if you want push gmail with the native mail app, set it up via the Microsoft Exchange setup. You will NOT have to open the mail app for it to fetch or check your mail. Once the mail is received, you will be automatically alerted.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,250 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Massive is right and, as stated earlier by both Blink and me, if you want push gmail with the native mail app, set it up via the Microsoft Exchange setup. You will NOT have to open the mail app for it to fetch or check your mail. Once the mail is received, you will be automatically alerted.
    D... yes I have known this all along if you set it up as exchange but that requires push and or fetch to also be turned on which I elect not to do and would rather have it set up the way I do as regular gmail and check it when I need to during the day. My emails are not as important that I need to get them by push every 15 mins. or so.

I was not calling you, Blink or Massie wrong but simply trying to clarify that's all.
    ~JAG~

Global Posts
    22,952 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarr40 View Post
    D... yes I have known this all along if you set it up as exchange but that requires push and or fetch to also be turned on which I elect not to do and would rather have it set up the way I do as regular gmail and check it when I need to during the day. My emails are not as important that I need to get them by push every 15 mins. or so.

I was not calling you, Blink or Massie wrong but simply trying to clarify that's all.
    No problem, my friend. I understand.

Global Posts
    15,818 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

I use all my email setup through Exchange.
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com

iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,250 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8.1

I use all my email setup through Exchange.
    Hey John
    The only reason I even brought up the subject because I am happy with gmail set up as gmail on my phone and not exchange is because it then forces me to turn on fetch and or push which I don't want on. Therefore I manually check my mail through the day and as many emails I get both personal and business none of them are that important that they can't wait until I retrieve them. If something is very important they text me.
    ~JAG~