iOS mail is not pushing, but Gmail app is, WTH?

trailracer618

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Hey y'all. New iPhone user here (from many years on the BlackBerry). I'm trying to get push mail from a Gmail account using the stock iOS mail app. I can't seem to get it to work. Instead, I downloaded the Gmail app and it pushes perfectly. However, the stock iOS mail app is, well, prettier than the Gmail app and I'd rather use it IF it will work properly. What do I need to do to get the iOS app to push properly and still be able to easily move emails into their folders?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you want push gmail via the default mail app, you will have to configure it via the Microsoft Exchange set up. Be sure to use m.google.com as the server.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
this is my ONLY preference to use Gmail on the iPhone - contacts and calendars work seamlessly

Set Up Gmail The Right Way And Have New Mail Pushed To Your iPhone [iOS Tip] | Cult of Mac

I hate to burst a bubble but after reading your link Blink about setting up gmail as exchange I came to this:

If, after using your Gmail account for a day or so, you find new emails aren?t being pushed to your device, you may have push services disabled. To enable this, open up the Settings app on your iPhone and then tap the ?Mail, Contacts, Calendars? tab.
Beneath your mail accounts, you?ll find the ?Fetch New Data? options. Tap on this and ensure the ?Push? toggle is turned on"

So my point is this: I have my gmail acct through my iPhone native email app set up the normal way NOT through exchange with "PUSH" turned on and get push email all the time. So what is the difference. i see none and have never had a problem. Just saying my 2 friends.... :p

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I hate to burst a bubble but after reading your link Blink about setting up gmail as exchange I came to this:

If, after using your Gmail account for a day or so, you find new emails aren?t being pushed to your device, you may have push services disabled. To enable this, open up the Settings app on your iPhone and then tap the ?Mail, Contacts, Calendars? tab.
Beneath your mail accounts, you?ll find the ?Fetch New Data? options. Tap on this and ensure the ?Push? toggle is turned on"

So my point is this: I have my gmail acct through my iPhone native email app set up the normal way NOT through exchange with "PUSH" turned on and get push email all the time. So what is the difference. i see none and have never had a problem. Just saying my 2 friends.... :p

I have the same setup and I have never had to re toggle anything for Push.

Are you guys totally sure about that? Or is it possible it's just fetching every 15 minutes, which is often enough that it feels like you're getting emails pushed? Look at these two mail setups from my phone: on the left is a Gmail account I have set up via Exchange; on the right is a Gmail account set up with the regular Gmail option. It certainly looks like only the Exchange setup gives you actual push--even though the other setup will allow new email to appear on your device without opening the mail app, which is not the same thing.

Photo 1.jpg

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have the same setup and I have never had to re toggle anything for Push.

John
What setup do you have? The one I have or the setup through Exchange?

- - - Updated - - -

Are you guys totally sure about that? Or is it possible it's just fetching every 15 minutes, which is often enough that it feels like you're getting emails pushed? Look at these two mail setups from my phone: on the left is a Gmail account I have set up via Exchange; on the right is a Gmail account set up with the regular Gmail option. It certainly looks like only the Exchange setup gives you actual push--even though the other setup will allow new email to appear on your device without opening the mail app, which is not the same thing.

View attachment 22890

Massie,
I have mine setup as i mentioned as the one on the right and I have push and fetch shut i have to actually open the app in order for it to check my email having it setup that way. It will not check mail automatically that way. At least not on mine unless I need Fetch on which I don't.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Massive is right and, as stated earlier by both Blink and me, if you want push gmail with the native mail app, set it up via the Microsoft Exchange setup. You will NOT have to open the mail app for it to fetch or check your mail. Once the mail is received, you will be automatically alerted.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Massive is right and, as stated earlier by both Blink and me, if you want push gmail with the native mail app, set it up via the Microsoft Exchange setup. You will NOT have to open the mail app for it to fetch or check your mail. Once the mail is received, you will be automatically alerted.

D... yes I have known this all along if you set it up as exchange but that requires push and or fetch to also be turned on which I elect not to do and would rather have it set up the way I do as regular gmail and check it when I need to during the day. My emails are not as important that I need to get them by push every 15 mins. or so.

I was not calling you, Blink or Massie wrong but simply trying to clarify that's all.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
D... yes I have known this all along if you set it up as exchange but that requires push and or fetch to also be turned on which I elect not to do and would rather have it set up the way I do as regular gmail and check it when I need to during the day. My emails are not as important that I need to get them by push every 15 mins. or so.

I was not calling you, Blink or Massie wrong but simply trying to clarify that's all.

No problem, my friend. I understand. :)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I use all my email setup through Exchange.

Hey John
The only reason I even brought up the subject because I am happy with gmail set up as gmail on my phone and not exchange is because it then forces me to turn on fetch and or push which I don't want on. Therefore I manually check my mail through the day and as many emails I get both personal and business none of them are that important that they can't wait until I retrieve them. If something is very important they text me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711