iPhone crashing when apps are put on certain screens and home button is pressed

markw10

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
An odd problem just began showing up on my iPhone 4S using the latest iPhone OS, iOS 6.01.

I downloaded a few apps onto my iPhone and wish to move them onto one of my last screens. I have around 10 screens of apps, many in folders. I can move them among the first few screens or put them into folders and have no issues. Yet if I move them to one of the last 4 screens or so that's where the problem starts. I can create a folder, move the apps to those screens, etc. while the screen/apps are jiggling but then as soon as I press the home button to save the changes and go back to regular use, the phone crashes. Within 2 seconds or so of pressing the home button I see the Apple logo as it restarts. Once restarted everything is located where it was before I made the changes.

Tonight I did a backup to iCloud and then did a complete erase of the iPhone and then did a restore of iCloud. I was hoping this would fix it but yet the same problem is showing up. What is odd is it doesn't do it on the first few screens, only the last few. Any idea on how I can solve this issue?

Thanks for your help.

RWWackostu

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend that the mods move this, or you post this in the iOS 6 forum, as this would be better served there. I am curious to see the answers you get to this.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok, couple of things: 1) do you have enough space memory wise on your phone? and 2) the next thing I would suggest you try is do a whole restore as new WITHOUT using your back up to see how the phone will react once you add everything back with fresh copies and set things up again.

YES I know, a huge PITA, but it will trouble shoot to see if there was something corrupt in your back up. If your able to set up as new and then re-add everything without the moving icons/crashing issue, then it was something with your back up.

That's what I can think of to start off. Maybe someone else here will have more suggestions for you. Good luck & keep us posted on how things go:)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend that the mods move this, or you post this in the iOS 6 forum, as this would be better served there. I am curious to see the answers you get to this.
I would agree with moving this but until....
Ok, couple of things: 1) do you have enough space memory wise on your phone? and 2) the next thing I would suggest you try is do a whole restore as new WITHOUT using your back up to see how the phone will react once you add everything back with fresh copies and set things up again.

YES I know, a huge PITA, but it will trouble shoot to see if there was something corrupt in your back up. If your able to set up as new and then re-add everything without the moving icons/crashing issue, then it was something with your back up.

That's what I can think of to start off. Maybe someone else here will have more suggestions for you. Good luck & keep us posted on how things go:)

I think that Pink makes very good and valid points all to try or one at a time of course. I myself have never heard of this happening to anybody. I have 5 Panels of apps and use to move them all the time to group them as similar apps until I got them where I wanted them. None are in folders and I have never had any trouble. Try what Pink suggests and I think you will be ok. Keep us all posted.

markw10

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I didn't realize there was an iOS 6 forum when I posted this. I don't want to post it twice and don't know if I can move this message but if so I'm glad to move it.

Looking at my iPhone I thought it may be a space issue but it has approximately 9GB free. I don't know if there's a limit on apps/screens but I have approximately 10 screens of apps and many in folders but i don't think that's what's causing the problem since I have so much space free.

I know you're right with the suggestion of re-installing and starting 100% fresh, no backup. I really hate to do it and as you said it's a huge PITA. I hope to leave that as an absolute last resort. I may wait and see if I get any other suggestions first before I go that route. I have heard stories of phones that have all types of issues and one day for no reason work. I even thought maybe when the next iOS update comes out it may simply fix this issue. I don't know how far off that is but if I have to I can use it as it is now and move the apps after this happens. I'm the type that likes things organized so it would be nice if I can get it to work. I'll just see what other responses I get and keep playing around with it with the hope that at some point it starts working.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I didn't realize there was an iOS 6 forum when I posted this. I don't want to post it twice and don't know if I can move this message but if so I'm glad to move it.

Looking at my iPhone I thought it may be a space issue but it has approximately 9GB free. I don't know if there's a limit on apps/screens but I have approximately 10 screens of apps and many in folders but i don't think that's what's causing the problem since I have so much space free.

I know you're right with the suggestion of re-installing and starting 100% fresh, no backup. I really hate to do it and as you said it's a huge PITA. I hope to leave that as an absolute last resort. I may wait and see if I get any other suggestions first before I go that route. I have heard stories of phones that have all types of issues and one day for no reason work. I even thought maybe when the next iOS update comes out it may simply fix this issue. I don't know how far off that is but if I have to I can use it as it is now and move the apps after this happens. I'm the type that likes things organized so it would be nice if I can get it to work. I'll just see what other responses I get and keep playing around with it with the hope that at some point it starts working.

well, i dont think it will resolve itself on its own...but i suppose stranger things have happened:)

Have you checked to see what the crash logs are saying? Settings/general/about/diagnostic & usage/ diag & usage data. look to about the 5th line down, "Processes" and see what its targeting in at. The rest of the crash report ,unless you know what the codes mean, are pretty much unreadable. Maybe even doing some type of search with the crash code may have something turn up as well.

also, have you tried just a simple reboot? sometimes that may clear up something "stuck" hold your home button AND sleep/on-off button at the same time, ignore "slide to power off" THEN let go when you see the apple logo.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
well, i dont think it will resolve itself on its own...but i suppose stranger things have happened:)

Have you checked to see what the crash logs are saying? Settings/general/about/diagnostic & usage/ diag & usage data. look to about the 5th line down, "Processes" and see what its targeting in at. The rest of the crash report ,unless you know what the codes mean, are pretty much unreadable. Maybe even doing some type of search with the crash code may have something turn up as well.

also, have you tried just a simple reboot? sometimes that may clear up something "stuck" hold your home button AND sleep/on-off button at the same time, ignore "slide to power off" THEN let go when you see the apple logo.

Once again I don't want to seem that I am jumping on the Pink bandwagon but she has and is still giving you good and sound advice that i would try. If nothing else for gosh sakes call Apple support, That is what they are there for or go to an Apple store genius bar.

kevin smith 619

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I had something similar on 6.0 with the Passbook app; I couldn't move it to another screen without it forcing the Phone to restart.

Haven't noticed it with other apps, though, and it seems to have gotten fixed (for me at least) under 6.0.1.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2